❤︎ OUT NOW! ❤︎
opinion

The Problem with Make-up Free Gaga

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

Ziggy
28 minutes ago, Luzaleja said:

That's exactly it, though? A Star Is Born is not a documentary about Lady Gaga. It's a movie about Jackson and Ally. It has nothing to do with Gaga, and she's tried so hard to make sure people understand this. The no make up being authentic is for the character, not for Gaga. She is not playing herself.

Where has she done this? In some of her most recent interviews for ASIB she's talked about how much she loves her make up and her fashion. Both the Lady part and the Gaga part. I don't remember where, but she basically said that it is all who she is, it just depends on how she's feeling. 

It was weird to me too, at first. But it's just who the character is. They needed the character to be as different from Gaga as possible.

It does make me uncomfortable that some people are talking about this character being the "real Stefani" and even some thinking it's about Gaga's real life :deadbanana: Like, even Ellen DeGeneres said to her in their interview that she thought Ally was the Gaga people didn't get to see behind the scenes, and Gaga had to tell her it's not her at all :messga: 

I like that Gaga is still wearing her strong make up and fashion to the promo for ASIB, because that is a way in which she expresses herself. That is part of her authentic self. We really do need to stop seeing women wearing make up as them being fake. 

I see what you're saying and agree, but I think the larger implications of this being so heavily quoted on the press tour is like this article says: makeup is artifice and artifice is deceptive. It is costume and costume is a lie women tell men and even through discomfort they should be forced to show us their "true selves" as we see them. Isolated, I agree with you, it's just the constant quoting of this story in the broader context of beauty and cultural trends as the writer points out that I take point with.

On another note, I don't like that it makes a clear distinction and deviation in Gaga's brand that Gaga is now a character whereas before Gaga was and is her. This writer is correct, layers and trappings included, Gaga is more authentic than this automaton we're being sold right now. She had heart, soul, grit, personality, opinions, and a mind of her own that was freely expressed in everything that she did. What this is doing is just the perpetuation of this idea that Gaga isn't her when she's said time and again that it is and that's very evident. It depresses me that our culture is regressing into conservatism again. "Gaga" can't possibly be real in the current zeitgeist. She must and can only exist as a fabrication whereas when she came out, when global trends were inching more liberal, the authenticity we demanded from her came out in her theater. To be honest, it's a sad day when the only way our eccentric artists can exist is when they admit to being lies because the larger context they exist within doesn't accept that anymore. 

Luzaleja
6 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I see what you're saying and agree, but I think the larger implications of this being so heavily quoted on the press tour is like this article says: makeup is artifice and artifice is deceptive. It is costume and costume is a lie women tell men and even through discomfort they should be forced to show us their "true selves" as we see them. Isolated, I agree with you, it's just the constant quoting of this story in the broader context of beauty and cultural trends as the writer points out that I take point with.

On another note, I don't like that it makes a clear distinction and deviation in Gaga's brand that Gaga is now a character whereas before Gaga was and is her. This writer is correct, layers and trappings included, Gaga is more authentic than this automaton we're being sold right now. She had heart, soul, grit, personality, opinions, and a mind of her own that was freely expressed in everything that she did. What this is doing is just the perpetuation of this idea that Gaga isn't her when she's said time and again that it is and that's very evident. It depresses me that our culture is regressing into conservatism again. "Gaga" can't possibly be real in the current zeitgeist. She must and can only exist as a fabrication whereas when she came out, when global trends were inching more liberal, the authenticity we demanded from her came out in her theater. To be honest, it's a sad day when the only way our eccentric artists can exist is when they admit to being lies because the larger context they exist within doesn't accept that anymore. 

I think I'd have a bigger problem with it if Gaga was doing press with no make up and "normal" clothes and saying that that was her authentic self. But since she's been wearing her amazing make up and dresses, that makes me feel at ease, I guess. I do agree they should stop focusing on it as much as they are. I understand where the writer of the article is coming from, but it also makes me uncomfortable that they seem to be fusing Lady Gaga and Ally, the character :shrug: We are not seeing Lady Gaga in ASIB.

That distinction you're talking about does make me sad. But I see that coming from the media only. Gaga keeps saying it is all her. The Lady part and the Gaga part. The "crazy" dresses and the fancy ones, and also the jeans and T shirts she wears. How much she loves make up and dressing up on any given day, etc. But like I said before, the media seems to be pushing this thing of Ally being the "real" Gaga we don't get to see. I'm sure WB is also pushing this because it sells. People love to think she's just an act, and that they finally got to crack her open, confirm that she was just a normal girl, and that it was all for attention. :neyde:

CannaeDrive

I see some people didn't get yet the concept of a movie and a fictional character, it's not that hard to grasp ffs.

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

RAMROD

What? You are confusing characters in movie with someone real.

Jackson character is an all out country character, that includes his views on life and politics. It is well written character. Don't confuse that as Bradley personal views on things. What gives? :saladga:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

djBuffoon
3 hours ago, Bio said:

The no makeup look is supposed to be authentic to the CHARACTER, not to Lady Gaga.

I am shocked that this distinction is lost on some people. 

Shocked, I tell you. :huntyga:

SissyBoomBah

Did everyone try the chicken? 

:stalkga:

I thought the chicken was lovely 

:trollga:

Kattys

Yes, no-make up look is authentic.

I truly believe make up for women is slavery. You are a slave to buy it, to use it, to wake up early every single day and apply it, and the pressure is insane. People basically forgot that women can have dark circles under eyes. I don’t wear make up and the pressure around me is crazy. Women should be able to look natural as they are in the workplace and social life. Make-up is not liberating at all.

Shipper

Bradley was teaching Gaga how to feel vulnerable and by doing that he requested for her to peel off a layer of her confidence. 

In my opinion, make-up makes you feel confident.  It does certainly make me  more confident. Kinda like war paint.  I know what I am saying is contrary to what others feel about makeup but that's what it does for me.

And as a new actress in this industry,  Bradley was helping her get into the role of Ally's innocent vulnerability.

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

1 hour ago, CannaeDrive said:

I see some people didn't get yet the concept of a movie and a fictional character, it's not that hard to grasp ffs.

I mean, the other day someone on this site made a conscious decision to make a thread about how Gaga personally upset him with her "If 99 people doesn't believe in you but one does" spiel. That's where this site is, """"skills""""" wise :toofunny:

Anveeroy

I think most of you didn't read the whole article. Please do that. If I had the permission I would have posted. 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Shipper
4 minutes ago, Kattys said:

Yes, no-make up look is authentic.

I truly believe make up for women is slavery. You are a slave to buy it, to use it, to wake up early every single day and apply it, and the pressure is insane. People basically forgot that women can have dark circles under eyes. I don’t wear make up and the pressure around me is crazy. Women should be able to look natural as they are in the workplace and social life. Make-up is not liberating at all.

I don't think I can compare it to "slavery" :sweat: but I do agree that the pressure for women to wear makeup is strong. 

For me, I first wore it because when I was trying to get a job in a mall at age 18, the hiring manager told me that I need to wear makeup and look "presentable".  So society taught me to do it because wearing makeup could determine whether you will get employed or not. I could have stuck with my natural face but I bent in and started using it since then.  

💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕📦💕

Ziggy
7 hours ago, Luzaleja said:

I think I'd have a bigger problem with it if Gaga was doing press with no make up and "normal" clothes and saying that that was her authentic self. But since she's been wearing her amazing make up and dresses, that makes me feel at ease, I guess. I do agree they should stop focusing on it as much as they are. I understand where the writer of the article is coming from, but it also makes me uncomfortable that they seem to be fusing Lady Gaga and Ally, the character :shrug: We are not seeing Lady Gaga in ASIB.

That distinction you're talking about does make me sad. But I see that coming from the media only. Gaga keeps saying it is all her. The Lady part and the Gaga part. The "crazy" dresses and the fancy ones, and also the jeans and T shirts she wears. How much she loves make up and dressing up on any given day, etc. But like I said before, the media seems to be pushing this thing of Ally being the "real" Gaga we don't get to see. I'm sure WB is also pushing this because it sells. People love to think she's just an act, and that they finally got to crack her open, confirm that she was just a normal girl, and that it was all for attention. :neyde:

Agreed. She hasn't done it *so* much. Even that Vogue cover, they had to spin what she gave them in such a manner as to indicate that. I wonder if it frustrates her or not. I know I would be crazy haha

codymonster
9 hours ago, MonsterOfficial said:

i- it's a simple request from Bradley.. why did they have to make an essay about it 

Welcome to what 2009-2011 felt like:cryga: Gaga would breath differently and articles would come out trying to find the controversy lol

Archived