Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What if ARTPOP didn't 'flop'?

NotMyFlop

Featured Posts

ARTPOP sold pretty well. what people think it flopped was because of the katy comparison and the backlash happened during that era. i mean it was a mess, applause rush-released, pigrez hilton mess, R kelly collab, management issues. if it didnt "flop" then we would have Act II, and the app would still around.

honestly my interest with gaga these days wasnt as hardcore as back in 2008-2016 idk joanne still didnt grow on me but im still excited for ASIB and LG6

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

I don't think it will be the *exact* same kind of backlash, because you're right, she operates in a different mode. However, there will come a day, perhaps even with her next album, that she fails to live up to hype and sales expectations, and people may well latch onto that. Even coming off 25, which despite selling well, was generally regarded as inferior to 21, and there were some not-that-happy reactions when she won AOTY. That album's run of singles was also less successful than 21's.

I think she's actually in kind of a crap spot, period, because she can't keep making the same album for the rest of her career without people totally checking out, but will people really allow her to experiment?

A more apt comparison would be Mariah Carey. More on the adult-contemporary side, biggest album-seller her first decade out, and then one day, an album underperforms, the wolves have at it...

Yeah but Adele also doesn’t care lol she even said she shouldn’t have won that AOTY. I think the fact that she’s real and honest about herself and doesn’t take herself so seriously helps her.

Mariah is an a*****e lol but I do think Adele will have a recession in fame, it just won’t be a big deal like it was for KP. It’ll just happen because Adele stays out of the limelight by and large. It was a big deal for Gaga because she *was* the limelight and courted controversy and opinion. Adele doesn’t really do that lol I think the fact that she’s cane into the industry so respected as a musician will help her immensely through her career. Gaga really had to show her stuff. Adele does need to change up the subject matter, but I think even recessions aside, she’ll just have a fairly stable career and dip will just be a course correction for the stratospheric heights she’s had thus far. 

Smother Em Eh
1 hour ago, River said:

I consider Joanne as a very experimental and bold era, she broke the prejudice that the GP and the media thinks about her and especially what she thinks about herself, she locked a huge door in herself, she was free, she understood that she can do anything she wants.

ARTPOP was less experimental and bold imo, it was a safe zone, there's nothing wow about ARTPOP, apart from Venus, with all it's flaws, ARTPOP is another pop record that any other singer could record, unlike TF/M and BTW..

So I'm glad that ARTPOP flopped, without it flopping, Gaga wouldn't be at the same spot that she's today.

To an extent I have to agree with this. But songs like Aura, Venus, ARTPOP & Swine are songs only Gaga could ever pull off. They are quite unique especially the first three. Like could you imagine Britney Spears singing Aura or Katy Perry singing Swine? It would sound so out of place and wouldn’t suit their voices. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

raragaga

hands down her worst album imo 

like i barely listen to a single song on that album tbh, but consistently listen to her other music

but i don't at all fault her for it. it was experimentation.. i agree that it had fillers, that if left out of the album, would make me like ARTPOP a lot more (jewels N drugs being #1. I don't think i've ever even made it through the entire song).. but i mean, pretty much every artist has an album that just doesn't work.

also, it's an interesting thought that it perhaps gave her a clean slate.. never would've thought about it like that.

that doesn't necessarily invalidate those who like it, so...

giphy.gif

xoxo

KatieJudasGaga4
10 minutes ago, raragaga said:

hands down her worst album imo 

like i barely listen to a single song on that album tbh, but consistently listen to her other music

but i don't at all fault her for it. it was experimentation.. i agree that it had fillers, that if left out of the album, would make me like ARTPOP a lot more (jewels N drugs being #1. I don't think i've ever even made it through the entire song).. but i mean, pretty much every artist has an album that just doesn't work.

also, it's an interesting thought that it perhaps gave her a clean slate.. never would've thought about it like that.

that doesn't necessarily invalidate those who like it, so...

giphy.gif

I think The Fame is her worst album....It has way too many fillers more than ARTPOP tbh, but idk. I still love The Fame and all her albums are great, but based on my listens.....The Fame is my lowest streaming album of Gaga's close to The Fame Monster (Telephone & Alejandro helped it not be last lol) 

Smother Em Eh

If it didn’t flop maybe she would’ve just done another pop/ rock/ house/ techno record like BTW to try to make up for the flop. But ARTPOP really didn’t do as bad as people say it did. Without ARTPOP tho we wouldn’t have the authentic fresh and pop/ country album, that is Joanne. 

ARTPOP well mediocre as it is, it still paved the way for Joanne to come. It’s by far her worst album behind TF, but has a great significance in her discography. 

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

DONAJENDRO

If ARTPOP did well she would've stopped trying and her music would get worse and worse. The world sorta put their foot down @ ARTPOP so she improved :applause:

Mad Onna

I think artists experience a downturn after a while because they get overexposed and people get bored with the same-old same-old.  I think many got tired of Gaga's brand of pop, so after ARTPOP Gaga reinvented herself.  Gaga's strength is her talent to excel in more than one genre, and in other platforms.  Artists who aren't multi-talented may find it more difficult to come back.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Space Cowboy
10 minutes ago, Ronk said:

I think artists experience a downturn after a while because they get overexposed and people get bored with the same-old same-old.  I think many got tired of Gaga's brand of pop, so after ARTPOP Gaga reinvented herself.  Gaga's strength is her talent to excel in more than one genre, and in other platforms.  Artists who aren't multi-talented may find it more difficult to come back.

^

Mulholland
53 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Yeah but Adele also doesn’t care lol she even said she shouldn’t have won that AOTY. I think the fact that she’s real and honest about herself and doesn’t take herself so seriously helps her.

Mariah is an a*****e lol but I do think Adele will have a recession in fame, it just won’t be a big deal like it was for KP. It’ll just happen because Adele stays out of the limelight by and large. It was a big deal for Gaga because she *was* the limelight and courted controversy and opinion. Adele doesn’t really do that lol I think the fact that she’s cane into the industry so respected as a musician will help her immensely through her career. Gaga really had to show her stuff. Adele does need to change up the subject matter, but I think even recessions aside, she’ll just have a fairly stable career and dip will just be a course correction for the stratospheric heights she’s had thus far. 

This is what people said about Jennifer Lawrence. For a while. Until those very same attributes suddenly started being less charming to some people.

I mean, I ultimately agree with you. I don't think Adele is going to crash and burn, and I never said she would. Gaga also didn't crash and burn during ARTPOP. She had a career dip, as everyone does, which is my point. Adele will have them too, and when that happens, there will be people who take that and run with it, who will call her a flop, who will write articles about her declining sales, etc.

14 minutes ago, Mulholland said:

This is what people said about Jennifer Lawrence. For a while. Until those very same attributes suddenly started being less charming to some people.

I mean, I ultimately agree with you. I don't think Adele is going to crash and burn, and I never said she would. Gaga also didn't crash and burn during ARTPOP. She had a career dip, as everyone does, which is my point. Adele will have them too, and when that happens, there will be people who take that and run with it, who will call her a flop, who will write articles about her declining sales, etc.

Yeah but JLaw is and was EVERYWHERE. She was the conversation much in the same way Gaga was. She was Hollywood’s it girl.

I definitely agree Adele will get a dip in sales but I don’t think she’s present enough in pop culture for her to get severe backlash, if that makes sense. She always comes out for award shows then retreats back to her life. Someone like JLaw or Gaga didn’t do that so there was a more intense response. If Adele was a constant presence than most definitely as we can see even with Beyoncé starting to bore people a bit despite good quality stuff. Adele never really chases her hype or celebrity status so I don’t think she’s plainly around enough to get over-exposed in the same way lolol but a dip in sales and reporting on it? Yeah sure, but that’s just news in music, really.

2 hours ago, highlikegaga said:

what are y'all talking about. in my mind ARTPOP went #1 for 30 weeks, spawned 6 #1s, one of which (DWUW ft. Kendrick Lamar) spent 20 weeks at the top of the chart and the album is referenced to this day as the most successful female era of all time. :vegas:

I've always wished she did DWUW with Kendrick, or The Weeknd.

Archived