TheAlpha

What do you listen to the most?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Rap or Metal

• Rap
    • Metal

Featured Posts

Queen Bitch

I love both so much. But I have to pick rap. These days I listen way more to rap than anything else - most of my favorite albums from this year are actually hip hop albums. But also because I'm an aspiring rapper myself. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George
6 hours ago, DiscoHeaven23 said:

I think i'd even take country over metal...and that's saying a lot :selena:

We all would take “Joanne” over metal :sis:

I’m REALLY shocked that the majority here prefers metal, cuz everyday there is a thread about a rapper here and I’m yet to see a thread about a metal band :poot:

There could be a 1000 doves in the sky...

4 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

But have you noticed how rap has now basically become pop? Whereas metal has never and probably never will be ever go mainstream? 

This tells me that metal is more authentic.  

That is not true.

Maybe you never been through late 80s/early 90s and late 1990s/early 2000s or forgotten about it to form this kind of opinion :giggle:

Glam Metal, Rap Metal most especially were significantly huge and mainstream af that time :giggle:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

4 hours ago, TheAlpha said:

Maybe because not all rap is sexist , extravagant & misogynistic bullsh*t?

Metal is based on classic instrumentation.

Rap is based on lyrics' shock value. If you have any example of a rap artist that hasn't used discriminatory vocab in his/her catalogue you are welcome to paste it and I 'll apologize.

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Magneto

Rap =/= hip-hop. Just like pop isn't referred to as the genre 'singing' 

OT: definitely hip-hop

Free my mind

BornSimon

Rap music sucks. It's probably the worst genre along with reggaeton. I can appreciate a bunch of songs (mostly from like 20 years ago) but most of it is utter **** imo.

TheAlpha
3 hours ago, Mustang said:

I’m REALLY shocked that the majority here prefers metal, cuz everyday there is a thread about a rapper here and I’m yet to see a thread about a metal band :poot:

This. I am shocked to be honest.

You know this is just my opinion, right?

Lord Temptation
3 hours ago, RAMROD said:

That is not true.

Maybe you never been through late 80s/early 90s and late 1990s/early 2000s or forgotten about it to form this kind of opinion :giggle:

Glam Metal, Rap Metal most especially were significantly huge and mainstream af that time :giggle:

I’m not saying metal was never popular, just that it was never as dominant as rap is right now and since the start of the streaming era around 2013 :laughga:

The difference is that back in the 70s, 80s, 90s the music world had more diversity. Metal was never been ahead of punk rock, prog rock, disco, indie college rock or any of the other genres around at the time. All the genres were popular as was reflected by the charts :messga:

Rap is nearly as old as metal (early 70s origin) yet its only gotten bigger and bigger the last 40 years, whereas metal has had a rise and fall and fracturing into many different subgenres 

8 hours ago, Arcanum said:

How could possibly someone compare Dream Theater / Merciful Fate / Theatre of Tragedy / Annihilator to all the sexist , extravagant & misogynistic rap bullsh*t

How could possibly someone compare Kendrick Lamar, Lauryn Hill, Tupac, Nas to Bring Me the Horizon, Pierce the Veil and Hollywood Undead?

It doesn't make sense to compare the best of metal to the worst of rap.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

1 hour ago, gag said:

How could possibly someone compare Kendrick Lamar, Lauryn Hill, Tupac, Nas to Bring Me the Horizon, Pierce the Veil and Hollywood Undead?

It doesn't make sense to compare the best of metal to the worst of rap.

It doesn't make sense to compare metal to rap period

I Wantth your Love...I Wantth your Love.

Both have their great artists and terrible ones, but I voted metal. Heavy metal can be by FAR the most technically challenging genre to play, surpassed only by perhaps jazz. The guitar and drums of heavy metal music can be straightforward, simple, pop-like structured, or they can be incredibly fast, complex, and difficult to play. Rap does not have a tendency to push musical boundaries like that. Rap's production tends to lean heavily into trends and only requires a DJ to program it once, then they can hit play and rap over it. So even though I enjoy listening to both genres, heavy metal gets my vote, because I give my respect to those who put in the thousands of hours of practice learning to play it, usually to less reward and fame than rappers who lazily slur xanny-phrases into a mic.  

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Archived