Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Rihanna is THE icon of this century

Oyster

Featured Posts

Oyster
2 minutes ago, BBhomemaker said:

Anti ? Trap ? Where?

Not the full thing but many of the beats are more hip hop than pop and ANTI features many trap producers such as Travis Scott 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sunny

While I agree that her albums are iconic and amazing (though I don't use her albums after Loud), she was always a trend follower

I like dancin', and ponies....

ryanripley
Just now, Oyster said:

I think her iconic moments are a little different. I think her iconic stuff is speaking out about being a domestic abuse survivor as well as her relationships such as with Drake. I think what makes her iconic moments so special is that they feel very human.

so her legacy is having a toxic relationship and dating drake as well some pop hits? :emma: 

imo, to be an icon of century she needs to have done something that actually impacted the industry like gaga did with TF era or how Adele instantly became queen of love songs or how Britney danced with a live snake on stage or how Madonna made out with Xtina and Britney on live TV

she plays a very safe game so she constanly remains popular because she's easy to consume by pretty much anyone, she doesn't really push any boundaries so nobody gets p*ssed off by her

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

A Hybrid

I get triggered by how people on this site think they give reasons why but actually don’t. Yesterday someone said BTW is Gaga’s best album because she was full of love doing it, when in fact that’s not how to judge a piece of music.

Looking at other THE icons, like Madonna, MJ and Elvis, Rihanna is like a mosquito. They bite every summer but get forgotten in winter.

and boy, Winter is Coming

No family’s safe when I sashay

Nice analysis, I agree with you, Rihanna is undoubtedly AN overall icon, in music and fashion, but is she THE icon? I don't think so, there's no thing such as THE icon, today society is influenced by MULTIPLE people and we can't reduce that to a single person.

You're right, she's a successful singer, but she rides the latest trends and collabs with the cool/popular artist of the moment so that's why she never experienced a failure when it comes to selling records.

BBhomemaker
3 minutes ago, Oyster said:

Not the full thing but many of the beats are more hip hop than pop and ANTI features many trap producers such as Travis Scott 

Hip hop and trap is different 

There are differences between Missy Elliott and Migos 

There are differences between Needing me, Woo and Bartier Cardi 

Oyster
1 minute ago, A Hybrid said:

I get triggered by how people on this site think they give reasons why but actually don’t. Yesterday someone said BTW is Gaga’s best album because she was full of love doing it, when in fact that’s not how to judge a piece of music.

Looking at other THE icons, like Madonna, MJ and Elvis, Rihanna is like a mosquito. They bite every summer but get forgotten in winter.

and boy, Winter is Coming

Lol dude these are MY reasons, just because they’re not yours doesn’t mean they aren’t reasons lmfao. I think having massive appeal and cultural relevance for so long should be considered iconic. This is an opinion thread so of course you may disagree but I did give my reasons b. 

A Hybrid
2 minutes ago, Oyster said:

Lol dude these are MY reasons, just because they’re not yours doesn’t mean they aren’t reasons lmfao. I think having massive appeal and cultural relevance for so long should be considered iconic. This is an opinion thread so of course you may disagree but I did give my reasons b. 

I just don’t think your reasons are reasons for this. You’re an icon if that appeal starts to actually somehow affect people’s lives. Sorry if it came out as rude, didn’t mean to be

No family’s safe when I sashay

Moebius

Locals eat her uuuuuupp

The Most Popular Girls in School megarate is cancelled!

6 minutes ago, Oyster said:

sooo

Maroon 5, Drake, Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber are THE icons too?

Hi (sorry for my bad english)

Oyster
3 minutes ago, A Hybrid said:

I just don’t think your reasons are reasons for this. You’re an icon if that appeal starts to actually somehow affect people’s lives. Sorry if it came out as rude, didn’t mean to be

Yea but it doesn’t need to necessarily make people uncomfortable, confused, or angry. The meat dress, the Britney kiss, the Madonna controversies are def iconic and stirred the pot but there are also icons and legends like Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin etc. that are icons for being really well liked and talented. 

Oyster
2 minutes ago, ilgkp said:

sooo

Maroon 5, Drake, Ed Sheeran and Justin Bieber are THE icons too?

I would not say these people have massive appeal at all, massive appeal I mean percentage wise. All those artists are actually quite disliked. When you ask about Rihanna, almost everybody will say positive things. Also they have not always been the most culturally relevant throughout their careers, maybe only Bieber. 

migamiga

But when has she ever taken an artistic risk? I like her and all but she’s only been able to be this successful for this long by having a good team around her helping her make good business decisions. 

MeloArtDramaPop

She’s the safest pop girl ever, even safer than Taylor. And she turned urban when it was cool

Archived