Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
achievement

NPR: The 200 Greatest Songs By 21st Century Women

Guest JolanJoringel

Featured Posts

LordEnigma
2 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

It seems that they compiled that list according to popularity rather than actual quality/ impact.

They should just rename it ''top 200 greatest singles''. :legend:

Peaches has a song more popular than Bad Romance or Born This Way :ohwell:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
guccic0och

**** The Pain Away getting that recognition 18 years later :pray: 

tHeRe cAn bE oNe hUnDrEd pEoPlE iN a rOoM

MarryTheAngel
25 minutes ago, Matangi said:

I love how MIA is out here snatching critical acclaim a decade after she should have been given these accolades. She was way ahead of her time and American outlets are just now catching on in the trump era.

they're only doing now cuz they finally have to admit she spilled all the tea and has been consistently spilling

DelusionalGaga

I'm surprised at Yeah Yeah Yeahs being #2. I think Maps is a great song but I wouldn't say it's one of the best so I always wonder why it keeps ending up on so many lists. :oprah:

ItsTommyBitch

Overall, a good list. I disagree with quite a few, but generally I think the list has very deserving songs on them in somewhat agreeable spaces. I had no idea what to expect for #1, but Paper Planes is fantastic and I was like "oh wow" in the best of ways when I saw it :applause: We love a capitalist, iconic bop :classy: 

The entry that stood out to me the most as like, the worst/most undeserving was definitely Cool For The Summer though, like WHAT :ladyhaha: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

FfFfFfFF
1 hour ago, Matangi said:

not even close to true. MIA, yeah yeah yeahs, alabama shakes, peaches, even lorde and many more are massively overlooked in pop music.. 

What I am saying is that they took female artists and picked their most popular songs. There are no album cuts there. And if they search for quality only in singles they are clearly missing out.

They even picked M.I.A. and Lorde's most successful, mainstream songs.

Inferno

Honestly its because the more pretentious music journalists don't like to give Gaga the credit she deserves. Thats why you'll see corny publishers like Billboard putting her in Top 10's but not like...Pitchfork or NME or npr.

Matangi
16 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

What I am saying is that they took female artists and picked their most popular songs. There are no album cuts there. And if they search for quality only in singles they are clearly missing out.

They even picked M.I.A. and Lorde's most successful, mainstream songs.

they picked them because they were statement songs that were massive singles as well.. its not like they said hey MIA should be number one, but which song? her biggest single. oh lorde? her too. they were both massive singles that made large cultural statements.

Lord Temptation

It would be an honour NOT to be on this pathetic list. They should’ve left Gaga out entirely. They obviously only put her there for the sake of not looking stupid, not because they think she deserves it.

Only ONE of these songs will be played full blast at LGBT Pride celebrations for the rest of eternity :vegas: :huntyga:

Chickens in Malibu

Why does this matter anyway?

It's just the opinion of a journalist. Looking at N1 makes me not wanna read the list anyway... Seems like someone is trying to shove personal picks down people's throats. Maybe if it was based on some measurable criteria I would understand.

SlaeUrAnus

1. Bad Romance should be Top 10. I mean, Super Bass and Bodak Yellow is “greater” than it? :smh: 

2. Run Away With Me should replace the position of Call Me Maybe.

In my messy era.

freebit

Gaga never ranks high on lists made by the NPR. I feel like the people making these lists at NPR are early 30s to 40s former Bust or Jezebel writers who like to think their music taste is ~cool~ & electric.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:12 PM, Inferno said:

Honestly its because the more pretentious music journalists don't like to give Gaga the credit she deserves. Thats why you'll see corny publishers like Billboard putting her in Top 10's but not like...Pitchfork or NME or npr.

It's super annoying. I think for them, she's not perceived as cool enough to like, but also not uncool enough to defend in a poptimism type of way - or to almost ironically love in all their bubblegum glory (like Carly Rae, Britney, or how Taylor used to be beloved by these types). I also find it so weird how these feminist or woke music writers seem to love Nicki Minaj despite how problematic she is, and also tend to list her trashiest songs on these "Best of..." lists. I remember when P4K had Come on a Cone on their best songs of the 2000s list. :smh:

MeloArtDramaPop

What a bad list

they are ranking them by numbers when impact should be the main criteria

Bad Romance was a cultural phenomenon, and them not crediting the song of the century is just bull.

I appreciate Paper Planes because it’s a bop and quite revolutionary with the subject matter.

And Royals also had quite the impact when it debuted a new type of sound. And capturing the zeitgeist of this generation.

Single Ladies is a bop but top 3 is a joke. Tired of the Beyonce is a goddess bandwagon:excuseu:

Archived