đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Beyonce and Jay Z/cultural appropriation

Blond

Featured Posts

luckyanderson

Let me just make one thing clear for you, the OP, those in response and anybody else who might happen to read this: NOBODY, I repeat, NO BODY should refer to the black community, African Americans or any other group of people with African ancestry as "blacks." That sounds racist and ignorant as hell. You don't say "whites" to refer to white people or browns to refer to other people of color, do you? I get you were passionate in your original post but please be careful and considerate of your word choices in the future as historically as seemingly inconsequential a term like "blacks" would be, it has often been associated with racism. Thanks.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyanderson
39 minutes ago, Miss Cherry said:

Cultural appropriation is a contrived term made in USA Academia that literally exists in no other country. designed to keep people separated and divided. I will wear what I like, have my hair what I like and I encourage all my brothers and sisters to do the same. imitation is the highest form of flattery.

Until it becomes offensive and is done through misrepresentation/lack of knowledge of origin/cultural significance. 

River

The funny thing is that white and black USian can appropriate the middle eastern culture as much as they want and no one would care because they see us as not equal.. actually they see us as some kind of unevolved animals.. this is the feel that I get in general.. the racism against us is so big in the US..

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Moebius

How can you do something that doesnt exist henny

The Most Popular Girls in School megarate is cancelled!

Miel

power dynamics of certain demographics of people utilizing their power and privilege over demographics with a lesser perceived social power

Beyonce was on the verge of cultural appropriation/did culturally appropriate in Coldplay's Hymn for the Weekend video. In this case, there was no cultural appropriation.

3 points in and ready for more

Miel
1 hour ago, Miss Cherry said:

Cultural appropriation is a contrived term made in USA Academia that literally exists in no other country. designed to keep people separated and divided. I will wear what I like, have my hair what I like and I encourage all my brothers and sisters to do the same. imitation is the highest form of flattery.

While I do think the term has been misused and beaten to death, it still is a valid concept and argument in academia, even if it's new.

Kimberle Crenshaw coined "intersectionality" in the context of social politics within the last thirty or so years, and it is incredibly relevant worldwide. "Cultural Appropriation" is important to critique and understand as a facet of intersectional, worldwide racism.

3 points in and ready for more

Miss Cherry
5 minutes ago, Miel said:

While I do think the term has been misused and beaten to death, it still is a valid concept and argument in academia, even if it's new.

Kimberle Crenshaw coined "intersectionality" in the context of social politics within the last thirty or so years, and it is incredibly relevant worldwide. "Cultural Appropriation" is important to critique and understand as a facet of intersectional, worldwide racism.

I'm black and if white people or people of any other race wanna rock a big ginger afro or some dude wants to wear cornrows, knock yourself out. Time is being wasted on trivial **** like this when black men are being shot and incarcerated for decades for minor crimes. THAT'S what people should be concerned about; not cos Brad likes Kanye and wants to wear his hair a certain way:madge:

MorganMak
14 hours ago, ryanripley said:

yeah no, you do need a few history lessons

white people are the dominant race and throughout history have enslaved and destroyed other cultures simply cus they're darker skin tones

if a white person loves african music and sings it and uses it as inspiration (and i mean actually LOVES it) then they're very likely willing to give back to the african countries in any way they can so it becomes cultural appreciation

if a white person hears african music, goes "oh wow this drum is cool i want it" and then totally ignore the struggles africans around the world are facing today, that is appropriation. taking from others for your own gain and then ignoring them when you have the power to help them should be called out

i know it's easy to say "but we're all equal! it's 2018!" but that's a naive way to think about the world. sure, women can vote and black people can marry white people and gay people can adopt but they're STILL spat on and hated by the men/white/straight people. not all of them but too many of them.

in regards to beyonce: she didn't appropriate anything :huh: if her dancing infront of classic italian art is too much for you then it sounds like you're the one who is being a little too sensitive. there's nothing about that that is appropriating :shrug: 

"White people are the dominant race" What? Where? Obviously they are more white people in some countries. Are you saying white people run the world? Thats pretty racist of you. 

Borislshere
1 minute ago, MorganMak said:

"White people are the dominant race" What? Where? Obviously they are more white people in some countries. Are you saying white people run the world? Thats pretty racist of you. 

He said dominant race not superior race therefore his comment wasn't racist. 

ryanripley
9 minutes ago, MorganMak said:

...do you watch the news? have you studied basic history? it's REALLY hard to deny the fact white people are still on top in countries like the US and UK

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

TheRoof
9 hours ago, That J said:

Madonna wanted SO much to be in Memoirs of a Geisha and that was her way of being in it without getting the part. Yeaaaaa.  I always think it depends on how it's used. Is it respectful?  Even then, it can still be argued. 

what do you think about the "Nothing Really Matters" music video?

Miss Cherry
1 minute ago, MarlonBrando7 said:

what do you think about the "Nothing Really Matters" music video?

Probably the last decent video she did.:madge:

TheRoof
3 minutes ago, Miss Cherry said:

Probably the last decent video she did.:madge:

nnnnnnn lowkey tea :selena:

lairofhk
15 hours ago, Blond said:

I hate how some people instantly want to hurt you when you express yourself.Not accepting other opinions is toxic and it's actually hurting GGD.Btw ... you did not hurt me,i reported you instead :wacko:

You're extremely immature. And honestly I'm going to leave it at that. Not going to engage in such messiness. 

666 others
16 hours ago, Blond said:

Why is it okay for Beyonce and Jay Z to use Italian and Ancient Greek cultural assets and completely be drama-free of any accusations regarding cultural appropriation? :saladga: (her new APES**T video)

I'm guessing because there is no history of systemic oppression of Italians and Ancient Greeks by Black people.

:holyshit:

Archived