❤︎ OUT NOW! ❤︎
opinion

Diane Warren Collab Will Hurt Gaga's Oscar Chances

rawrimamonster

Featured Posts

rawrimamonster

Of course Diane Warren is a superbly amazing songwriter who deserves every Oscar nomination she's received. She has truly written some amazing songs for a huge variety of artists. Lots of people are gunning for Gaga to get some Oscar noms for ASIB, and the music categories would be the most obvious choices here. Being that they were nominated previously for TIHTY, this seems like a match made in heaven.

Or is it?

The truth is that the Oscars have more to do with politics than talent. Whatever actor or studio successfully self-promotes across various talk shows and media platforms with a "For Your Consideration" campaign and woos over the GP and the industry insiders (i.e. the Academy) ends up being the winner, regardless of talent. Just like government politics, politics in the entertainment industry loves a good scandal. And frankly, I feel like the Linda Perry scandal was what sunk Diane Warren's and LG's Oscar chances last time.

In case you've forgotten, Linda Perry is the singer/songwriter (former lead of 4 Non Blondes/ wrote songs for big name artists/ sort of comparable to Linda Perry career-wise) who claimed she listened to a demo tape of TIHTY and said it was almost exactly the same before Gaga was ever involved and that Diane Warren was adding Gaga's name as a "songwriter" to get more exposure for the song. 

I'd like to say that I don't believe Linda Perry's claim, but honestly I can't really find a reason not to. She's an industry insider that had a working relationship with DW. The apology she eventually gave was kind of a non-apology. I think this controversy was fresh in the minds of the industry insiders who vote for the Oscars, and probably sunk LG's chances. Collaborating again I feel is a bad idea, even if they do legitimately both write the songs. 

TL;DR There was a controversy last time DW and LG collaborated. I think this is a bad idea. 

Chris Evans

nah I feel like they knew they made a mistake voting for Sam once they saw Gaga perform TIHTY- they don't even have to LISTEN to the song so my theory is they just saw Gaga's name and looked her over

Rifek

Who said this song is going to be nominated for an Oscar?

It's probably just a part of the ASIB soundtrack and other track will be chosen to promo the album and it will be considered for the award shows (or not :stalkga:)

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️

GypsyBabe

I don’t think so. That will have been forgotten by now. There certainly was some backlash when they didn’t award TIHTY, and that will likely be stuck in their memory over anything LP said. They made a mistake for sure.

⚯͛

monketsharona

My opinion : it's a bit too early for talking about Oscar nominations. 

Mirages
4 minutes ago, rawrimamonster said:

I'd like to say that I don't believe Linda Perry's claim, but honestly I can't really find a reason not to.

First of all Linda was mad she didn't get a nom for her song with Miley, that's the only reason she spoke about it and she wasn't lying either. When TIHTY won the Emmy Gaga wasn't nominated because she only had like 10% writing credit on the cue sheet and Emmy's give noms only to the main writers. Moreover, when they all heard Gaga and Sam sing their songs I think they know they've made a mistake and now they have Gaga 's performance stuck in their heads and she has a bigger chance of winning considering how she brought the house down the last time she was nominated.

I'm the bitch that's fragile

giskardsb

why can't we just enjoy the music and forget about charts, sales, and awards?   Pop fans are way too involved in the "politics" of popular culture.  Why would you sacrifice having a good song just because you are afraid it won't win an award.  

weed

I figure it would hurt her chances bc Diane has been nominated 9 times with 0 wins :diane: high hopes thoooooo

Guest Adarsh

Now that Diane has clarified thats not even her song, we dont even know if she's on the ASIB soundtrack for sure, so why all this negative speculation? Lets sit back and enjoy the music when it comes. :)

SolidSnake
25 minutes ago, rawrimamonster said:

Of course Diane Warren is a superbly amazing songwriter who deserves every Oscar nomination she's received. She has truly written some amazing songs for a huge variety of artists. Lots of people are gunning for Gaga to get some Oscar noms for ASIB, and the music categories would be the most obvious choices here. Being that they were nominated previously for TIHTY, this seems like a match made in heaven.

Or is it?

The truth is that the Oscars have more to do with politics than talent. Whatever actor or studio successfully self-promotes across various talk shows and media platforms with a "For Your Consideration" campaign and woos over the GP and the industry insiders (i.e. the Academy) ends up being the winner, regardless of talent. Just like government politics, politics in the entertainment industry loves a good scandal. And frankly, I feel like the Linda Perry scandal was what sunk Diane Warren's and LG's Oscar chances last time.

In case you've forgotten, Linda Perry is the singer/songwriter (former lead of 4 Non Blondes/ wrote songs for big name artists/ sort of comparable to Linda Perry career-wise) who claimed she listened to a demo tape of TIHTY and said it was almost exactly the same before Gaga was ever involved and that Diane Warren was adding Gaga's name as a "songwriter" to get more exposure for the song. 

I'd like to say that I don't believe Linda Perry's claim, but honestly I can't really find a reason not to. She's an industry insider that had a working relationship with DW. The apology she eventually gave was kind of a non-apology. I think this controversy was fresh in the minds of the industry insiders who vote for the Oscars, and probably sunk LG's chances. Collaborating again I feel is a bad idea, even if they do legitimately both write the songs. 

TL;DR There was a controversy last time DW and LG collaborated. I think this is a bad idea. 

Boldface 1: Nobody outside twitter stans, GGD, and a few actors are gunning for anything in regards to a Gaga oscar nom. Cool your heels. 

Boldface 2: I'm going to need a source on this one. Sure they take politics into consideration but you are overblowing it. 

Boldface 3: Everything in this section is just irrelevant. 

SolidSnake
17 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

why can't we just enjoy the music and forget about charts, sales, and awards?   Pop fans are way too involved in the "politics" of popular culture.  Why would you sacrifice having a good song just because you are afraid it won't win an award.  

In my short time learning about pop fanbases they love to be reductive and force pop stars to make "bops" instead of raw emotional music. 

Ryusei

If we get a song on the level of "because you loved me" I couldnt give less ****s about a golden statue that in the long run means nothing.

Musery

Luxe Ford

Just put a gag on Linda Perry and watch the song fly.

TIHTY or not, people should know by now Gaga writes her own songs. And if they don't they're just ignorant schmucks not worthy of our attention.

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

Archived