❤︎ ❤︎ ❤︎
question

Discographies of One Hit Wonders

Zaskar

Featured Posts

RAMROD
4 minutes ago, ARPiT said:

And that's where I needed GGD's help. I wanted to know those "some" that are worth exploring :messga: 

Cranberries have great diacography throught their career

Listen to 3 first albums by John Mayer, those are him in his prime, then check the rest if you like

A-Ha also have good discography, brilliant 80s music

Hozier is also good but it is folkish, if you don’t like country music, you may be hard to get into the album

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lord Temptation

The 90s and this current decade had one hit wonders that were absolute massive hits.

These megahits are from 1992/1993 alone:

Billy Ray Cyrus - Achy Breaky Heart, Kris Kross - Jump, Shakespears Sister - Stay, Sonia Dada - You Don’t Treat Me No Good No More, Charles and Eddie - Would I Lie to You

Not to mention the 90s Eurodance remakes of 80s songs : Total Eclipse of the Heart, Give it Up and Break My Stride were all very very big.

In the 2010s we also had massive one hit wonders:

- Gotye/Kimbra - Somebody That I Used fo Know

- LMFAO - Party Rock Anthem

- Hozier - Take Me to Church

- Owl City - Fireflies

- Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks

- MO - Cold Water

- Psy - Gangnam Style

- That Cheerleader Song

OMG i lost count....

Zaskar
2 minutes ago, calmar said:

I like Gentleman and Daddy by PSY as well. (And gosh, are those titles unfortunate on a forum like this.)

Unfortunately, because of their 'one-hit wonder' reputation, I haven't listened to any of the other works by the artists listed in the OP :noparty: But in keeping with the theme of ignoring the request in the OP, here are the artists I only have 1 song of on my main playlist (which isn't technically to say that they are one-hit wonders), and I'd welcome any recommendations for further exploration of their discography.

Hide contents

- Carrie Underwood
- Eminem
- George Michael
- Imagine Dragons
- Jon Bon Jovi
- Lana del Rey
- Mariah Carey
- the Rolling Stones
- Shania Twain
- Wham!

Thanks for understanding my request. I thought I wasn't clear enough :selena:

I can help with you some artist.

Spoiler

- Carrie Underwood: She has one Greatest Hits album, which is pretty solid. If you are into country or country-pop, you'll like it. Few songs you could try to see if the album is worth listening: Blown Away, Jesus Take the Wheel, The Fighter (ft. Keith Urban), Before He Cheats (I think this is the one that's in your playlist?). Overall, she's pretty good.

- Eminem: Whoa! I'm surprised. He has multiple hits and great albums. You should totally explore more. (Not to miss: Stan (the song))

- George Michael/Wham!: I'm familiar with Wham!'s works, but just started exploring George's material. He's supposed to be good. He even won AOTY for Faith (his debut), if I'm not wrong.

- Imagine Dragons: They have few good songs. I did listen to Night Visions. It was a pretty weak album. The one I remember and still use though: Demons, Radioactive, It's Time

- Jon Bon Jovi: Oh, they are amazing, but most of their albums are not that strong. You could do with their greatest hits album, which is pretty solid. I just love that album.

- Lana del Rey: LOL!! what can I say? Try "Born to Die" (the album)

- Mariah Carey: She has really great songs like Vision of Love, Emotions, Hero, One Sweet Day, Fantasy, but listening to one whole album of her is really tough for me, because of all that screaming, yelling and what not. So, here again I only use her Greatest Hits album :derpga:

Zaskar
9 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Cranberries have great diacography throught their career

Listen to 3 first albums by John Mayer, those are him in his prime, then check the rest if you like

A-Ha also have good discography, brilliant 80s music

Hozier is also good but it is folkish, if you don’t like country music, you may be hard to get into the album

Oh, thanks a lot.:hug:

I really love Zombie. I would try them for sure. Are the rest of their albums political as well?

I just did listen to Hunting High and Low. Kinda underwhelming at first listen, but I think it'll grow on me. I did like few songs. Definitely exploring them.

Am not sure if I'm into country music. I mean recently I'm listening to Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood and Taylor's country material. Does that count? And what about Blake Shelton and Tim McGraw? I really love Austin and Highways Don't Care, but never listened to any other song of theirs.

calmar
7 minutes ago, ARPiT said:

- Carrie Underwood: She has one Greatest Hits album, which is pretty solid. If you are into country or country-pop, you'll like it. Few songs you could try to see if the album is worth listening: Blown Away, Jesus Take the Wheel, The Fighter (ft. Keith Urban), Before He Cheats (I think this is the one that's in your playlist?). Overall, she's pretty good.

- Eminem: Whoa! I'm surprised. He has multiple hits and great albums. You should totally explore more. (Not to miss: Stan (the song))

- George Michael/Wham!: I'm familiar with Wham!'s works, but just started exploring George's material. He's supposed to be good. He even won AOTY for Faith (his debut), if I'm not wrong.

- Imagine Dragons: They have few good songs. I did listen to Night Visions. It was a pretty weak album. The one I remember and still use though: Demons, Radioactive, It's Time

- Jon Bon Jovi: Oh, they are amazing, but most of their albums are not that strong. You could do with their greatest hits album, which is pretty solid. I just love that album.

- Lana del Rey: LOL!! what can I say? Try "Born to Die" (the album)

- Mariah Carey: She has really great songs like Vision of Love, Emotions, Hero, One Sweet Day, Fantasy, but listening to one whole album of her is really tough for me, because of all that screaming, yelling and what not. So, here again I only use her Greatest Hits album :derpga:

Carrie  - it's the song "Good Girl" that's on my playlist, actually. 
Eminem - I'm not a fan of rap in general, but I've heard some of his bigger things. I just haven't heard anything yet that really grabs me. The only reason "The Real Slim Shady" is on my playlist is because of some AMV I liked ten years ago or something :laughga: 
George Michael - Yeah, I should try to explore him a little more, idk.
Imagine Dragons - Maybe I'll like some of their other songs, not sure. You can only listen to so many songs in their particular genre before it gets exhausting.
JBJ - I'll try that.
LDR - I've listened to a good amount of her songs (thanks to GGD shoving her down my throat, basically) but I find her boring.
Mariah - I've heard Touch My Body before and that's pretty good. I should invest some time in her as well.

I also want to go through Rolling Stone Magazine's "500 Greatest Songs of All Time", which will take a while, and will mostly be 1970s rock music anyway since it was compiled by old white guys who praise that genre above all else. 

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

RAMROD
2 minutes ago, ARPiT said:

Oh, thanks a lot.:hug:

I really love Zombie. I would try them for sure. Are the rest of their albums political as well?

I just did listen to Hunting High and Low. Kinda underwhelming at first listen, but I think it'll grow on me. I did like few songs. Definitely exploring them.

Am not sure if I'm into country music. I mean recently I'm listening to Dolly Parton, Carrie Underwood and Taylor's country material. Does that count? And what about Blake Shelton and Tim McGraw? I really love Austin and Highways Don't Care, but never listened to any other song of theirs.

Cranberries brought many themes in their music, not all are political. But all of them are inspiring. 

Yes, sure those are counts. Maybe try to sample Hozier album on streaming, I think someone would have upload those on YT by now

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Smother Em Eh

Spandau Bailet- True

Ashanti

Go Go’s- We Got The Beat

Get Applause & G.U.Y to 1B views!

Quartz

This thread is a mess :ladyhaha:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

tomsches
1 hour ago, HYPODERMIC0 said:

I never heard about M.I.A after Bad Girls and that collab with Madonna and Nicki.

So i guess the GP totally forgot about her

M.i.a. was successful long before Bad Girls.  Paper Planes was huge in 2008 or something 

ryanripley

that Lean On song with MO :firega: 

i forgot who made it but the EP/album it's on is fire and its called Peace Is The Mission

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

sipthistea

Carly Rae Jepson - Call Me Maybe

Ariana Grande- Problem 

Iggy Azalea- Fancy

Christina Aguilera- Genie In A Bottle

Azealia B... wait, she doesn't have any hits

That J

Ohhhhhhh some hardcore fan bases would be ready to slaughter some of yall. Lol. 

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

SHALLOW
19 minutes ago, tomsches said:

M.i.a. was successful long before Bad Girls.  Paper Planes was huge in 2008 or something 

Not in Italy tho. So i couldn't know that :huntyga:

Archived