Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Gaga still popular with the GP in your country?

ARTPOP GAGA

Featured Posts

SLAYing
3 hours ago, Modern Ecstacy said:

I'm from Delhi too. Whaaaaat there was a LADY GAGA tribute night? I definitely need new friends lol

But I still hold what I said. I feel like you're in the presence of a lot of fans. I feel like Gaga is not a part of the general western pop culture that India follows. Most people my age (late teens and 20s) don't listen to her music. They just know who she is. None of my friends have her music in their phones. Maybe in 2011 she was big especially when she came here but now people just know her.

You need better company budd.. She's Bigger than Taylor.. Katy.. Rihanna combined in India.. Nobody knows them as oppose to the household name that GAGA is.. The majority of the people I have met in my life, respect and like Gaga...fans or not.. No, I'm not talking about pop fans.. I mean GP.. I don't have many friends who listen to pop music.. I have tons of metalheads.. Rap.. R&b listeners and they have massive respect for Gaga and they literally trash Taylor and Katy..they call them manufactured bimbos 😝😆

GAGA'S superbowl performance was on the mouth of every soccer /football fan here and I literally know tons of them.. 

Yes and there have been so many Gaga nights in India.. She's the only one after MJ that has people impersonating her for a living.. Never have I heard a tribute night for anybody else except Gaga and Mj.. You're friends need to be enlightened 😁

U can add me on Instagram if you want to know me more.. Its attached to my profile.. 

Instagram : saurabh_slays

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
loribb

The Cure was #3 in Croatia :wub: 

She and Madonna are like goddesses of pop here, all other female singers are just singers

kaojen

I live in the USA. And I hate listening to top radio. Not really caring or worried about Gaga’s success as she has already solidified her superstardom and is basically a household name now. Million reasons killed it here, and it was loved by most of the straights female population in theUS haha.

Miel

United States here.

I feel like she's finally being recognized for her talent and musicianship, but almost in a "legend" kind of way, if that makes sense? Like, she's definitely respected than before (especially after the Super Bowl), but she's in no way "in", or the "it girl".

3 points in and ready for more

RebeldeFaith

People in Puerto Rico don't care that much anymore. Applause kinda smashed but after that none of her other singles did. I know some fans and people that still listens her music though. Some radio stations still play TEOG but I doubt many people know who's singing. :selena:

If it isn't reggaeton, trap, salsa, bachata or merengue (or Bad Bunny) they don't care. :madge:

Something something idk

Quartz

As the Philippines is a mostly Christian country, Million Reasons did wonders for her. They played that song so much on the radio, it was a hit! It also helped that it was vocally challenging. It was used a lot in singing competition programs and variety shows. PI and The Cure didn't really stick though. Anyway, if she toured here, it would have fixed a lot of her branding I tell you. The last time she was here, christian groups were holding rallies because she was Satanic (BTW era) :laughga:

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

nodandsmile
6 hours ago, Oyster said:

This thread is incredibly depressing 

I think that's understandable since she only promotes her music in three countries since ARTPOP !

Bella Goth

indonesia doesn't respect her anymore generaly from born this way era you know its majority muslim country and the drama behind btw tour in jakarta is a mess, her song played on radio but nvm. the cure making a cute hit on radio, even ARTPOP and joanne not played on radio very much. i think indonesian people cant take her attitude,songs i mean btw era because you know super religious country $uck my as$

I just heard her cover of I want your love on the radio, and I'm from Serbia so... She is pretty big I can say 💪

sipthistea

No. :madge:

Some of her songs still sound on the radio from time to time, but she's not that popular anymore. She was huge during Bad Romance. 

I would blame it to people's taste in music. People here in general only listen to those gross reggaeton songs, which are more basic than what's on the top 10 in the US right now. 

Florian
12 hours ago, dit said:

ah ok! I guess that's a wrong stigma about french music lovers tbh. They always make them sound like they are pretentious lol! But yeah as I mentioned she can totally re snatch. I just think she needs the right sound and streaming + radio support (let's hope that happens).

I'd agree way more with @Esteban. I really don't understand where @CrazyMonster is going by calling his comment bullsh*t.

Out of al the markets, the French market is definitelly doing it's own thing for few reasons :

1) The huge contrast between French and international artists. It's partiularly noticable for albums sales. For example let's compare the ranking of the most sold albums in 2016 in France and the US :

Spoiler

FRANCE : (the first international artist is Adele and only ranked 20th !!
    #20 - Adele - 25
    #21 - Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
    #22 - Sia - This Is Acting
    #27 - David Bowie - Blackstar
    #33 - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
    #38 - Justin Bieber Purpose
    #40 - Drake - Views
    #97 - The Weeknd - BBTM
    #130 - Beyoncé - Lemonade

US : (the same songs)
    #1 - Adele - 25
    #2 - Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
    #16 - Sia - This Is Acting
    #6 - David Bowie - Blackstar
    #24 - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
    #4 - Justin Bieber Purpose
    #8 - Drake - Views
    #37 - The Weeknd - BBTM
    #11 - Beyoncé - Lemonade

In 2013 the only international artist in the 10 most sold album was Bruno Mars (#5 Unorthodox Jukebox with 380 000 sales // #1 was Stromae with 1million), in 2014 no international artist in the top10 (#1 Stromae with 705 000), in 2015 Adele is the only one (#1 with 785 000 sales) next is Muse but #16 and in 2017 the only one is Ed Sheeran (#2 with 387 000 and #1 with 587 600 if we add streamings).

As you can see it's hard for international artists to sell in France. Basically there is only 1 international success per year.

For the singles it's more international-oriented but the sales are really low (#1 song in 2016 had 97.700 sales) and you won't find many pop songs in the most sold/streamed singles (like no pop girls at all, Justin Bieber may be ~#15 somewhere). 

2) French policies : radio have to follow one of the 3 formulas : 35% of French songs and 25% of new content (<9months song), 40%-20% and 60%-10%. So French artists get a serious push from the radio. It's not factual but let's say we have a rate 5 international artists for 1 french artists, 40 french artist will be on the radio and only 60 from the 200  international artists can be played. And if you want to squeeze the 200 artists in it means that every international artists will be played only once every 3 days when the french artist is played every days.

3) What Esteban just said, GP puts labels easily and is stubborn. For most French people, Gaga is still the same as 2011, weird and too-extra.

Glenmonstere

Her last hit in Philippines was “The Cure” landed at #1 on iTunes PH and top 40 on Billboard100 PH. 

Sepsami

Not rly, they basicly shade her whenever they talk about her and only play songs from The Fame and MAYBE Born This Way (the song) (not even TFM :madge:).

dit
1 hour ago, Florian said:

I'd agree way more with @Esteban. I really don't understand where @CrazyMonster is going by calling his comment bullsh*t.

Out of al the markets, the French market is definitelly doing it's own thing for few reasons :

1) The huge contrast between French and international artists. It's partiularly noticable for albums sales. For example let's compare the ranking of the most sold albums in 2016 in France and the US :

Reveal hidden contents

FRANCE : (the first international artist is Adele and only ranked 20th !!
    #20 - Adele - 25
    #21 - Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
    #22 - Sia - This Is Acting
    #27 - David Bowie - Blackstar
    #33 - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
    #38 - Justin Bieber Purpose
    #40 - Drake - Views
    #97 - The Weeknd - BBTM
    #130 - Beyoncé - Lemonade

US : (the same songs)
    #1 - Adele - 25
    #2 - Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams
    #16 - Sia - This Is Acting
    #6 - David Bowie - Blackstar
    #24 - Bruno Mars - 24K Magic
    #4 - Justin Bieber Purpose
    #8 - Drake - Views
    #37 - The Weeknd - BBTM
    #11 - Beyoncé - Lemonade

In 2013 the only international artist in the 10 most sold album was Bruno Mars (#5 Unorthodox Jukebox with 380 000 sales // #1 was Stromae with 1million), in 2014 no international artist in the top10 (#1 Stromae with 705 000), in 2015 Adele is the only one (#1 with 785 000 sales) next is Muse but #16 and in 2017 the only one is Ed Sheeran (#2 with 387 000 and #1 with 587 600 if we add streamings).

As you can see it's hard for international artists to sell in France. Basically there is only 1 international success per year.

For the singles it's more international-oriented but the sales are really low (#1 song in 2016 had 97.700 sales) and you won't find many pop songs in the most sold/streamed singles (like no pop girls at all, Justin Bieber may be ~#15 somewhere). 

2) French policies : radio have to follow one of the 3 formulas : 35% of French songs and 25% of new content (<9months song), 40%-20% and 60%-10%. So French artists get a serious push from the radio. It's not factual but let's say we have a rate 5 international artists for 1 french artists, 40 french artist will be on the radio and only 60 from the 200  international artists can be played. And if you want to squeeze the 200 artists in it means that every international artists will be played only once every 3 days when the french artist is played every days.

3) What Esteban just said, GP puts labels easily and is stubborn. For most French people, Gaga is still the same as 2011, weird and too-extra.

Ok this was a super interesting and insightful comment! thanks so much! It's nice to see different points of views on this matter. 

The Z
16 hours ago, CrazyMonster said:

No they think she retired here in France, the last time they heard of her was with Applause.

DWUW did better than Applause in France though:huntyga:

Archived