💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Race and Drag Race

LordEnigma

Featured Posts

LordEnigma
2 minutes ago, GagaMariaSpears said:

It depends on why the queen would paint her skin, whether or not of she'd be praised, I'm not sure because I've never seen it happen.

I guess that’s my intention of the thread is to talk about what we think might happen if it did.

LordEnigma
29 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

there actually was a white queen who had to team up with another queen who was POC for a twins challenge and they stated in the confessional there's no way in hell they would do blackface, even for this challenge where they had to look related (pretty sure it was Tempest DuJour from season 7)

imo, i think the only time for a white queen to play a POC character would be:

a) they literally have no POC queens left to take up the role

b) the challenge requires them to be the sibling of a POC queen/character

however this in no way excuses them to engage in black face because of the awful history behind american media and their mocking portrayal of POC people back in the olden days

since white americans don't have a history of oppression haunting them, there's really no issue with Peppermint playing a white woman. you may read this and think "but how is it not the same? they're both equal races?" well, the situation isn't black and white (:huntyga:), it's complicated and muddy, people are still unwilling to listen and would rather just screech LiBErAL SNowFlaKe instead of taking the time to listen to these people

I agree blackface is a HUGE NO but I’m just curious if white queens should just stay away from potraying women of color to not cause a possible ending to their career.

Supersonic
11 minutes ago, Alexander Levi said:

It’s an issue that has many layers to it.

Do you think if a black queen painted her skin white, she would be praised or not? I doubt this would ever happen, I suppose I’m just curious how fans would view that type of experience.

I mean there's very stark contrast between blackface and whiteface. One was an institutionalized method to exclude black actors from the showbiz and perpetuate harmful stereotypes about black people (and it still is IS an institutionalized method to exclude black actors from the showbiz, especially in Europe, it is VERY prevelant in movies AND theatre productions)

The other one is just an attempt to "take back the night" and make a political statement as in "Do you see how ridiculous you are treating us?". I'd view it very differently, because even though they seem like similar things on a superficial level, there are VERY different historical implications about both things, and both of those cultural practices were birthed (and used) with very different intentions.

But I think we'll never see a black girl do white face on drag race cuz like... it's just too much effort. They usually have to get in full drag in 90-45 minutes for each runway and LESS for the challenges.

Also you have to work with the source material. If the script tells you that your character is ghetto and you're white, you just gotta roll with the punches and make the best of what you were given.

LordEnigma
1 minute ago, Supersonic said:

I mean there's very stark contrast between blackface and whiteface. One was an institutionalized method to exclude black actors from the showbiz and perpetuate harmful stereotypes about black people (and it still is IS an institutionalized method to exclude black actors from the showbiz, especially in Europe, it is VERY prevelant in movies AND theatre productions)

The other one is just an attempt to "take back the night" and make a political statement as in "Do you see how ridiculous you are treating us?". I'd views it drastly differently because even though the seem like similar things on a superficial level, there are VERY different historical implications about both things, and both of those cultural practices were birthed (and used) with very different intentions.

But I think we'll never see a black girl do white face on drag race cuz like... it's just too much effort. They usually have to get in full drag in 90-45 minutes for each runway and LESS for the challenges.

Also you have to work with the source material. If the script tells you that your character is ghetto and you're white, you just gotta roll with the punches and make the best of what you were given.

I just got kind of lazy in the OP - I’ve had a long day and it’s just the afternoon where I live. I guess I’m trying to go for more of a should white queens even consider portraying women of color at all? Not should it be ok to do black face etc.

I’m about to nap so I’m kind of dreary at the moment. I guess it was more of question of curiosity than anything.

Supersonic
1 minute ago, Alexander Levi said:

I just got kind of lazy in the OP - I’ve had a long day and it’s just the afternoon where I live. I guess I’m trying to go for more of a should white queens even consider portraying women of color at all? Not should it be ok to do black face etc.

I’m about to nap so I’m kind of dreary at the moment. I guess it was more of question of curiosity than anything.

My answer to that question would be really: Only shy away from it if you're a racist piece of sh*t, otherwise go for it lmao

Archived