💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is White Female Pop Dead?

PunkTheFunk

Featured Posts

highbythebeach

Why they gotta be white females? Female pop music as a whole is kinda dead right now, but um does it really make a difference to the music if she's white? This is different in the case of saying female music > male music for obvious reasons (vocal differences)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PunkTheFunk
10 minutes ago, Bradley said:

These artists never left and have been doing fairly good if you look at the stats properly. I mean Joanne is not The Fame Monster, really? Joanne is one of the most successful pop albums in recent years I mean:

The most watched musical event in history, with a viewership of more than 117 million if I'm not mistaken. Received critical acclaim from critics and fans alike.

Another high-profile event in Gaga's catalogue, received positive reception from critics and fans alike.

Despite being cancelled half way, the tour managed to gross $95 million from only 49 shows. Gaga also began to sell out stadiums in the US, for the first time ever, solidifying her as a stronger touring force. Artists like Justin Timberlake and Katy Perry have yet to do this, they're still only playing in arenas despite having been in the business for decades. Now Gaga might not be Taylor Swift or Beyonce, but one day she will play in stadium-only shows. The tour also received critical acclaim.

Joanne is not The Fame Monster. Yes sales-wise it's not as impressive as The Fame or The Fame Monster. But is Joanne platinum? Yes. Did Joanne receive a Best Pop Vocal Album Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Million Reasons receive a Best Pop Solo Performance Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Witness manage to get nominated? No. (I love Katy Perry but Gaga is doing far better than her contemporaries if you look at these facts). This is longevity we're talking about. This is Gaga's FIFTH album, it's not her prime but the fact that she manages to stay relevant is impressive as it is.

Can we also talk about how she managed to find the time to star in an Academy Award-worthy film alongside an Academy Award nominee in the midst of promoting her new album? Like this era is no less than The Fame Monster if you look at the things she gave us.

So no Gaga is no where near the word 'dead'. She is living to her fullest potential if you look at Joanne itself. Now I'm not sure about Miley Cyrus though, Younger Now was a non-event and ended pretty quickly and there's barely a tour for that, the singles (apart from Malibu) weren't successful.

As for Katy, I kinda enjoyed the Witness era. It spawned two successful singles (Chained to the Rhythm and Swish Swish, and despite the fact that Bon Appetit and Hey Hey Hey were less successful, they had killer videos). It spawned a true worldwide tour that visited Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America, Europe. And this is barely her prime as well, the fact that she manages to travel around the world from an album that received only lukewarm reception is impressive. She also received $25 million from judging in American Idol in the midst of her busy tour. So yeah, Katy is here to stay if you ask me, and likewise Gaga, she's nowhere near 'dead'.

@KinneyUnderYou Here's a mini post dedicated to Gaga that you have been craving for. :bon:

All of this is great and Gaga will surely be enjoying a great career until she's 110 years old but the article is trying to say that hers and Katy's and Taylor's cultural power/influence has diminished significantly. :poot:

PunkTheFunk
4 minutes ago, highbythebeach said:

Why they gotta be white females? Female pop music as a whole is kinda dead right now, but um does it really make a difference to the music if she's white? This is different in the case of saying female music > male music for obvious reasons (vocal differences)

Because Rihanna and Beyonce don't seem to be having any trouble dominating pop culture, and they've been in the business for 15-20 years :poot:

Bradley
1 minute ago, PunkTheFunk said:

All of this is great and Gaga will surely be enjoying a great career until she's 110 years old but the article is trying to say that hers and Katy's and Taylor's cultural power/influence has diminished significantly. :poot:

I mean first of all it's not really easy or possible to have that kind of massive cultural influence on the media/society for an eternity. The fact that these women stayed on top, and are still on top, for so long, is impressive already. I don't think the article is being fair to these women. They are definitely far from being dead. In fact quite the opposite, I think they have proven to the public that they are here to stay and have longevity amidst many new emerging artists and some of them are even going for the legend status that these current trendy artists can never attain. So yeah Witness, Joanne, Reputation are quite influential already being the successors to Teenage Dream, The Fame Monster and 1989. :poot:

Miley however is a different story. :poot:

Emvee

It’s actually a little absurd that some people are associating Pop and its “greatness” with specifically white females and dance music, while there’s such a fluster about it’s perceived decline to the rise of Black music as if it’s killing quality. 

highbythebeach
30 minutes ago, PunkTheFunk said:

Because Rihanna and Beyonce don't seem to be having any trouble dominating pop culture, and they've been in the business for 15-20 years :poot:

Rihanna isn't even making pop music anymore and Beyonce seems to only be doing well in album sales, she's not dominating the world like male pop/rap artists

Karl

So how shifting from a majority white chart to a majority black chart is classed as being ‘woke’ and reflecting the cultural landscape exactly? I thought nowadays was all about equality. Surely judging the music based on the music itself and not thinking about the colour of the artist at all is true equality?  

Haroon

@PunkTheFunk Moved this to 'Entertainment Talk' because it's more general :happy: Would've been fine in 'Gaga Thoughts' because Gaga's in this too but yeah, just bit more tipped towards 'Entertainment Talk' so moved it there :laughga:

Phlop

1999-2002 = Pop/Dance/Pop Rock (Brit, Xtina, Destiny’s Child, Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, DJ Sammy, etc)

2003-2008 = Hip hop, Rnb, Rap, Crunk, Latin sounds (Ricky Martin, Shakira, Timbaland, Gwen Stefani, Nelly, Ne-Yo, JLO, BEP, Fergie, Justin Timberlake etc)

2008-2012 = Pop Dance and EDM (Gaga, David Guetta, Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Rihanna, Jason Derulo, I Am Sasha Fierce, Nicki Minaj pop, Calvin Harris, Avicii, Zedd, Skrillex etc)

2013-2018 = RnB/HipHop/Trap/ Latin trop(Robin Thicke, Justin Timberlake, Justin Bieber, The Weeknd, Rihanna, BeyoncÊ, Drake, Migos, Cardi B etc)

I think come 2019 we will have a new wave of dance music again. It happens every start of a decade tbh. 

Rihanna and Bey tend to stay current but they make urban music too and can thrive off rhythmic radio where white females can’t anymore. Taylor sticks around, but she has country radio still supporting her. The other pop stars only can rely strictly on pop tbh.

BYE

ordinarynam1310

The only racial thing that contributed to this state of pop music is the fact that people nowadays support black artists more than ever. Along with movements like black girls magic and everything with going on in US, of course POC in music are more welcomed than ever.

People tends to ignore names like Katy, Taylor, Miley, etc after all the messes they got into from cultural appropriation to petty feud. Plus, they have been in the biz in more than 10 years, so their cultural relevancy is not as strong as they used to be. 

Another thing happened is streaming gone really big. Because of that, music is now more accessible than ever and people tend to listen to their own favorite stuffs or discover new artists with the playlist system which leads to nobody following the music on the chart anymore. Well, not as much. 

Plus, the batch of pop artists of this new generation SUCKS. They have talents, but they don't do anything with it. The songs are bland, boring and have the same sound. It lacks the energy of pop music used to have. Some of the better projects of this decade are mostly RnB, Hiphop or Rap. Pop artists don't even care to push boundaries anymore, at least the mainstream ones don't. 

I hope we'll get an another artist like Gaga coming up soon, to shake things up a little bit. At this point, despite loving Gaga so much, her chance of making pop music great again is like 50/50

ryanripley
2 hours ago, Bradley said:

These artists never left and have been doing fairly good if you look at the stats properly. I mean Joanne is not The Fame Monster, really? Joanne is one of the most successful pop albums in recent years I mean:

watch-lady-gaga-performance-super-bowl-h

The most watched musical event in history, with a viewership of more than 117 million if I'm not mistaken. Received critical acclaim from critics and fans alike.

lady_gaga_greg_noire_coachella_f0252661.

Another high-profile event in Gaga's catalogue, received positive reception from critics and fans alike.

jwt_1.jpg

Despite being cancelled half way, the tour managed to gross $95 million from only 49 shows. Gaga also began to sell out stadiums in the US, for the first time ever, solidifying her as a stronger touring force. Artists like Justin Timberlake and Katy Perry have yet to do this, they're still only playing in arenas despite having been in the business for decades. Now Gaga might not be Taylor Swift or Beyonce, but one day she will play in stadium-only shows. The tour also received critical acclaim.

2018-grammy-awards-60th-lady-gaga-perfor

Joanne is not The Fame Monster. Yes sales-wise it's not as impressive as The Fame or The Fame Monster. But is Joanne platinum? Yes. Did Joanne receive a Best Pop Vocal Album Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Million Reasons receive a Best Pop Solo Performance Grammy nomination? Yes. Did Witness manage to get nominated? No. (I love Katy Perry but Gaga is doing far better than her contemporaries if you look at these facts). This is longevity we're talking about. This is Gaga's FIFTH album, it's not her prime but the fact that she manages to stay relevant is impressive as it is.

a-star-is-born.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Can we also talk about how she managed to find the time to star in an Academy Award-worthy film alongside an Academy Award nominee in the midst of promoting her new album? Like this era is no less than The Fame Monster if you look at the things she gave us.

So no Gaga is no where near the word 'dead'. She is living to her fullest potential if you look at Joanne itself. Now I'm not sure about Miley Cyrus though, Younger Now was a non-event and ended pretty quickly and there's barely a tour for that, the singles (apart from Malibu) weren't successful.

As for Katy, I kinda enjoyed the Witness era. It spawned two successful singles (Chained to the Rhythm and Swish Swish, and despite the fact that Bon Appetit and Hey Hey Hey were less successful, they had killer videos). It spawned a true worldwide tour that visited Africa, Asia, Australia, North and South America, Europe. And this is barely her prime as well, the fact that she manages to travel around the world from an album that received only lukewarm reception is impressive. She also received $25 million from judging in American Idol in the midst of her busy tour. So yeah, Katy is here to stay if you ask me, and likewise Gaga, she's nowhere near 'dead'.

@KinneyUnderYou Here's a mini post dedicated to Gaga that you have been craving for. :bon:

this post is perfect

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

Bradley
20 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

this post is perfect

Thank you. :bon:

LePetitGAGABLover
21 minutes ago, F AM E said:

gaga's white?

8ehxzdvze0u33almlms7doaud.376x346x1.jpg

Selena Gomez is SHOOK!

Archived