review

Gaga - Madonna career comparison

gts14

Featured Posts

Taylorrgh
29 minutes ago, pedrohemg said:

Express Yourself - 0.5M copies sold.

Born This Way: 4M

okay this unfair because at that time people could actually sale ALBUMS so of course single sales were lower. btw I would rather have people buy my album over a single any day

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jaXXXon

Nice comparison. I think we shouldn't look at the exact singles and their commercial performances or how much the albums sold, because that's just useless.

What we should notice is that BEDTIME STORIES and JOANNE are follow-up albums to their most hated work. Erotica and ARTPOP have that in common that they "ended" the non-stop commercial success and popularity of the albums and singles before it and both were called out by the gp and the press as being "over." So those comparisons make sense.

ARTPOP was Gaga's Erotica in that it nearly destroyed her career and Joanne is her Bedtime Stories as it was used to regain support from the GP and the industry. 

Now, Madonna followed Bedtime Stories up with a starring role in Evita AND a soundtrack album to that very same movie. Gaga is following up Joanne with a starring role in ASIB AND a soundtrack album. 

Coincidence? I don't think so :stalkga: 

TheRoof
17 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Nice comparison. I think we shouldn't look at the exact singles and their commercial performances or how much the albums sold, because that's just useless.

What we should notice is that BEDTIME STORIES and JOANNE are follow-up albums to their most hated work. Erotica and ARTPOP have that in common that they "ended" the non-stop commercial success and popularity of the albums and singles before it and both were called out by the gp and the press as being "over." So those comparisons make sense.

ARTPOP was Gaga's Erotica in that it nearly destroyed her career and Joanne is her Bedtime Stories as it was used to regain support from the GP and the industry. 

Now, Madonna followed Bedtime Stories up with a starring role in Evita AND a soundtrack album to that very same movie. Gaga is following up Joanne with a starring role in ASIB AND a soundtrack album. 

Coincidence? I don't think so :stalkga: 

so LG6 is Ray Of Light :udidnt::excited2:

Edge Of Venus

The OP just proves that she should've served another straightforward pop bop album between TFM and BTW, which would've solidified her hit catalog. BTW is sonically and visually too overbearing for an artist who just blew up two years prior. The Judas campaign was controversial but there was no substantial message behind it unlike the LAP video. 

Imagine her singles run starting from TFM:

Album #2 (2009): Bad Romance --> Telephone --> Alejandro

Album #3 (2011): Smash Bop 1.0 --> Smash Ballad --> Smash Bop 2.0 --> Experimental Flop  

Album #4 (2013): Born This Way --> Edge Of Glory --> Marry The Night --> You And I

Album #5 (2016): Applause (Super Bowl Single) --> Do What You Want (ft. Drake) --> Sexxx Dreams (ft. Rihanna)

The greatest female hitmaker confirmed. Madonna whew? Mariah whew? Rihanna whew? 

Phoebe Buffay
1 hour ago, pedrohemg said:

YES. In an era where you can download almost anything for free, 4M copies is extraordinary.  Express Yourself could not even peak at #1. And  MJ is MJ, Billie Jean reached number 1 because he was the KING and Madonna isn't even half of what he was.

Buying singles in the 80's was far more harder than it is today. They didn't have iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music or YouTube to stream or download the song, so that's why people waited for the album to come out and go to their nearest music store and buy it. That's why songs from pre-2005 have sold less than 1M copies, except if the song was REALLY big (Like a Prayer, Vogue, ...Baby One More Time, Genie in a Bottle, That's the Way Love Goes, Like a Virgin...). People had to actually go outside and buy just a CD/vinyl that contains just one song. Ain't nobody got time for that.

DavidJP
1 hour ago, Alejandroo said:

And Evita is her "A Star Is Born" 

then that means gaga is getting an oscar for original song! 

Taylorrgh
3 minutes ago, EvilRegal said:

Buying singles in the 80's was far more harder than it is today. They didn't have iTunes, Spotify, Apple Music or YouTube to stream or download the song, so that's why people waited for the album to come out and go to their nearest music store and buy it. That's why songs from pre-2005 have sold less than 1M copies, except if the song was REALLY big (Like a Prayer, Vogue, ...Baby One More Time, Genie in a Bottle, That's the Way Love Goes, Like a Virgin...). People had to actually go outside and buy just a CD/vinyl that contains just one song. Nobody got time for that.

exactly! why waste money on a $2.99 single when you can buy the album for like $9.99

Lord Temptation

I never really saw Joanne as being similar to Bedtime Stories... :derpga:

But now I can’t stop thinking it :cryga:

Shook :what:

Both are deemed to be less “outragous”, more personal, more sombre and all that jazz :trollga:

4 hours ago, Tyler Henry said:

okay this unfair because at that time people could actually sale ALBUMS so of course single sales were lower. btw I would rather have people buy my album over a single any day

And now you can download the single illegally in a second and that's a much bigger threat to the single's sales than the fact that people used to buy more albums. So it's actually unfair to Gaga:trollga:

5 hours ago, gts14 said:

Each of this albums had 3 massive hits and 1 flop single:

Like a Virgin - Material Girl - Into The Groove - Angel

Bad Romance - Telephone - Alejandro - Dance In The Dark

What?:triggered:

Dance In The Dark was a radio single in 3 countries with no MV and no promo.  It's not even considered to be a single

shame

If history does indeed repeat itself... then glue down your edges for Gaga's Ray of Light cuz she's coming with her most adventurous and spiritual album, selling 16M copies worldwide hunties :lolly:

angels forever, forever angels

Taylorrgh
1 hour ago, LM said:

And now you can download the single illegally in a second and that's a much bigger threat to the single's sales than the fact that people used to buy more albums. So it's actually unfair to Gaga:trollga:

uhhh nice try but compared to 1980s/90s, single sales in the late 00's and now are MUCH stronger so still your point is invalid. there was piracy in the 1980s and 90s as well :trollga:

swakby
17 hours ago, pedrohemg said:

I don't care. I'm pointing the song Madonna claims Gaga literally copied, sold much less than Born This Way, and this is an official information from RIAA.

You obviously know nothing about how the industry works. Back in the 1990s, if your single sold that much, it was a good indication that it was a big hit. Songs rarely passed the 1 million mark. 

FadMadonsterStan

Omg this was exactly on point on what I thought never had the guts to make the thread though, but you took all my words out of my mouth and how I see their careers are similar in a way

Don't go for second best, baby Put your love to the test

Archived