Die With A Smile Spotify Banner
Die With A Smile Spotify Banner
question

Was ARTPOP rushed?

Smother Em Eh

Featured Posts

Benji
On 09/04/2018 at 12:57 AM, JosephH said:

Yeah I would say they definitely spent way too long on it. They should’ve kept what made the songs interesting. And some songs on AP sound messy like just listen to Aura. It sounds like a 5 year old produced it. 

:what:

I like Aura (Well, Burqa mixed with the leaked Aura demo vocals) because of it’s hard hitting instrumental and the softness of the choruses :rip: It is a good example of how they ruined the song in the studio though, the version on the album is meh but mixing the demos together makes something far more interesting and powerful.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GagaUnderYou

http://ladygaga.wikia.com/wiki/Instagram/Posts/2013?file=9-26-13_Instagram_001.jpg#Sep 

Well she had a to do list with 5 tracks before 2 months (september 13th)  before the album dropped. Her deadline was tight for this album. Love this album, but I think she wanted more time with it. Hence the idea of ARTPOP Act II coming along and the app with alternative versions and stuff.

Head Empty

It doesn't feel unfinished, but it feels like Gaga finished the songs production-wise before she had made up her mind about the direction she wanted to take them in.

"Normally" you write the song, find the sound and then after the raw product is there (a demo) you take a step back to see if anything needs to be added/removed/changed. Then when everything has been put into place you finalize the production and make it nice and shiny.

For ARTPOP it feels like Gaga didn't take/have enough time in the middle of that process, and started finalizing the production before the songs had found their final form. Which leads to some elements that feel like after-thoughts, because they're ideas that didn't get enough time to develop organically.

That said, in my opinion songs like DWUW, Applause and ARTPOP feel extremely polished and complete.

Songs like Aura, MJH and Swine, on the other hand, feel like they could've used more time (although I love all three of those).

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ‎ ᵃˢˢ 🕺

Ziggy
On 4/8/2018 at 6:24 PM, GagaInTheZone said:

It would say opposite, they spent too much time on it. Too much stuff on the album feels overproduced, vocals and instrumentals always have that "too much" thing, which is why I dislike the album.

Can you imagine songs like Aura, Venus, ARTPOP etc if they felt more raw and authentic ? Would be incredible

You think Venus could sound *more* raw? I’d say of all the songs that one is the most *under* produced and because of that it works. If you mean the vocal harmonies in there, I think it’s safe to assume that those who would have been there regardless unlike, say, Sexxx Dreams’ added vocals. The harmonies were integral to giving the song that psychedelic feel and i think the production is otherwise pretty lo-fi!

gagzus
On 09/04/2018 at 2:29 AM, CyanLights said:

I doubt it, but who knows what actually happened. Everyone suspects there was an Original ARTPOP that got scrapped. I wouldn't be shocked if this was the case, since Gaga wrote and recored a couple of songs in like september. Like Venus was recorded a couple of weeks prior to release if I remember correctly. So if this was the case, some songs could have been somewhat last minute. Others (like Sex Dreams and GUY) were probably around since the start. 

If I remember correctly she said she was submitting the demos to interscope in September 2012 and she wouldn’t stop talking about it and the album on LM.com during it’s peak popularity. I remember she had basically made demos and an album in under a year, we also were supposed to get BDKMV and PN released as the first two singles from Kendrick’s album featuring Gaga. But then after the meetings she went silent and I assume it’s they probably dragged the material and wanted something more “pop” and you could tell by the demos and the fact she was working mostly with DJWS, Zedd and T-Minus she wanted the album to have HEFTY hip-hop/R&B influences hence why most of the collabs and scrapped stuff had more trap elements in them. Gypsy was the first song she made after submitting the album since the metadata of the gypsy recording session voice note that leaked is from Oct/Nov 2012 I believe 

gagzus
1 hour ago, GagaUnderYou said:

http://ladygaga.wikia.com/wiki/Instagram/Posts/2013?file=9-26-13_Instagram_001.jpg#Sep 

Well she had a to do list with 5 tracks before 2 months (september 13th)  before the album dropped. Her deadline was tight for this album. Love this album, but I think she wanted more time with it. Hence the idea of ARTPOP Act II coming along and the app with alternative versions and stuff.

Those were songs that she needed to just do additional editing to because she’s meticulous that’s all. Most of them were done in early 2013 she just had more time to work on them that’s all she even said so in her Howard Stern interview I think during the Venus/DWUW mini era where she said she used the time off to perfect the songs

Tony31511

To be honest, I think the strongest song on the album is Do What U Want.

DJWS produced it pretty well and the melody of the chorus is catchy. The other 14 songs on ARTPOP just don't... give me that tingly, goose-bump feeling when I listen to them. I don't think the production was poorly made, but I think the production just wasn't to the Gaga standard.

Just compare the production of Bad Romance to MANiCURE. It's day and night.

Archived