Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Gaga should do more Jazz

Blond

Featured Posts

CannaeDrive

Agreed, she should go all the way into Jazz in parallel with her own music. Imagine having both a Jazz album and a Gaga pop/rock/whatever else original album every 2/3 years, I will be like that:

"Fame Is A Boomerang" - Maria Callas

robboadam
30 minutes ago, PerfectGUY said:

I mean, in Jazz, basically you can't really make your own songs

Jazz is all about re interpreting and improvising on standards 

So if she makes another jazz album it'll 90% be other 'covered' songs. However, I don't mind at all bc that's what jazz is 

Not true, there are loads of original jazz songs all the time. But the classics are classics, so that’s why they keep getting revisited.

Sassy McSass

I think she sings jazz beautifully. I just wished she dis another album with Tony because he’s already talked about it (and it’s not like he can wait forever :/)

I’ll keep looking for Wonderland

PerfectGUY
1 hour ago, robboadam said:

Not true, there are loads of original jazz songs all the time. But the classics are classics, so that’s why they keep getting revisited.

Revisited jazz standards still represent a huge part of the jazz genre : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_standard

I mean yes, it's possible to do original jazz songs, but it's pretty rare. Most of those 'original' tracks are soul, blues, jazzy songs

Ronk

I'm here for any jazz from Gaga.  C3C with Tony, jazz standards without Tony, or original jazz songs ... I'm for any of it.

I live outside the space time continuum.

Ronk
2 hours ago, PerfectGUY said:

Revisited jazz standards still represent a huge part of the jazz genre : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_standard

I mean yes, it's possible to do original jazz songs, but it's pretty rare. Most of those 'original' tracks are soul, blues, jazzy songs

Yes.  I go to plenty of jazz concerts.  They are almost all the old jazz standards, with very few original songs, if any.  And the concerts are great, because the old jazz standards are wonderful. It's what the public wants to hear.

My dad used to take me to symphony orchestra concerts.  He said the people who planned the concerts would have love to present the more modern or unusual works, but they were forced to keep presenting the familiar works of Beethoven, Brahms, etc. because that's what the audience wants to hear.

That said, there are times and places where you can hear original jazz and classical music live.

Ronk
1 hour ago, Sassy McSass said:

I think she sings jazz beautifully. I just wished she dis another album with Tony because he’s already talked about it (and it’s not like he can wait forever :/)

That's actually an understatement.  Tony is a genuine person and he doesn't say what he doesn't mean, and he praises Gaga's jazz singing.

An example of jazz standards:  In 1994, Tony did a live concert on MTV.  Surrounded by the MTV crowd, you would think he would throw in some rock or pop songs.  But he sang only jazz standards, and the audience loved it.  Those songs are universal.   My dad played sax in the big bands back in that era.  Those were the days when big bands played in dance halls, clubs, dinner theaters, etc.  I ask him, what is a "standard".  He said those are songs every member of the band must know how to play, because the bands take requests, and those requests will always be those standards.   It's the songs people love.  Tony's MTV set list:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Unplugged_(Tony_Bennett_album)

Archived