💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

RuPaul's Drag Race

Travis

Featured Posts

I don't understand how Joslyn avoided the bottom 2. Her talk show was awful and her runway look was the worst. It should have been Adore/Joslyn bottom 2 with Joslyn going.

WheresTheDoggo

so shocked at Adore in BTM2 but i think she'll rise and do her best, party :)

Edited by SaveloMonster
hey I'm Doggo :derpga:

LadyoftheDam

The non elimination week should've been saved for the lip synch battle this week between Adore + Trinity. Both were so good. Or just send Joslyn home. She's the weakest one IMO.

So we have the wedding makeover challenge and the Glitter Ball left

Either there's a top 4 this year as speculated or there's a double elim coming

Dave Cookie

I was confused about this last night. Because I realized the "ball" challenge usually narrows the top 4 down to top 3 and there's still 6.  

Swim Deep

This. I think we've got past the point where the queens are disposable enough for a double elimination. 

Edited by Swim Deep

heavyMetalGAGA

Yep. :) That's what I'm saying. Language--and the way its meaning is constructed--is just far too complex to reduce down to simply the one factor of: "do you belong to this minority or not?" If you say you have to belong to a minority to use a word, you're purposely creating extremely rigid (and artificial) boundaries on language. And since language, as a tool, not only reflects our collective thought processes, but helps shape them, if you are creating rigid boundaries on identity language, then you are also creating rigid boundaries on our very understanding of identity.

It's the whole queer argument that s-xuality isn't as simple as "gay/straight/bi," and what has made that fight so difficult is because our language conditions us to think those are the only options, because for a long time those were the only words we had. So, that's why I find it problematic when well-intentioned, socially conscious academic types say stuff like "it's not your word to reclaim." Because that kind of rhetoric absolutely both reflects and enables a point of view that sees identity as fixed and unmovable, as clear-cut. Us vs. Them. And it's that type of thought and understanding of human identity that engenders prejudice, discrimination, and violence against all minorities. So, even though most of these impassioned social warriors are very well-intentioned, I think their quest for political correctness often reduces and oversimplifies the meaningful discourse we could be having on these subjects, and is often more troublesome than the initial use of the offensive terminology they are lodging complaints against.

However, I'll be more than up front and say that my opinion is a pretty radical one, and lots of academics don't share it. And I'll also say I try to avoid most offensive terminology myself. Mostly just because, like you, I just want to try and find a way to use language and create discourse that is kind, and if I know something's going to offend someone, I usually just defer to that out of a baseline respect.

But I'm also not going to villify those that don't follow my path. Nor am I going to let slide the lazy and problematic rhetoric of those that do call them out.

What I will say is, if somebody wants to use slurs or possibly-offensive language, I think they need to educate themselves on the history of those words, understand why people find them offensive, think strongly about the precise context they'll be using them in, and then decide whether or not it's still a word that they find valuable to use. Basically, people should think before they speak, and know how and why they're using a word.

Thanks for pointing that out to me. The "Us" vs "Them" point really made me think and realize that identity is complex. And I see how problematic calling people out on the use of the word is.

When would you say using offensive language would be appropriate, though? Even if the person studies the history of that word, realizes it is offensive, and still uses it in an offensive way, wouldn't that still be problematic? And what would be a proper solution to help people realize that using slurs can be offensive without pointing that out to them? For example, if people on social media are just casually dropping gay and racial slurs, what is one supposed to do? It just makes me feel uncomfortable. Wouldn't allowing straight people to use f*ggot as a slur create more boundaries for everyone? I think the person receiving the word is more important than the person saying the word. If someone calls someone a b*tch as joke, but the person hearing it finds it offensive, that's problematic and just creates more boundaries...

Edited by heavyMetalGAGA

So it have watched seasons 1, 2, 5 & 6 of Drag Race, should I watch Season 1 of Drag U before moving on to Season 3?

no, Drag U is trash and got cancelled for a reason lol

Why do I want to watch drag queens giving frumpy women a makeover, it's just a terrible idea

JanPianoMusic

I would have loved to see Trinity do the last challenges! Too bad her charisma got the best of her. Joslyn should have been sent home, I can't believe she still referenced Georgia's and Cher's charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent during the talk show! GTFO, ****! If she doesn't go home next week I am going to be UP.

I would love to see her winning a LSFYL against Courtney though... Courtney's performance on the show really disappointed me.

#TeamBianca

You will never please everyone.