đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Should music charts exist?

shame

Featured Posts

shame

I was reading a book and I came across this interesting passage:

"Unlike sportspeople, artists know that the competition is not the real thing, is only a publicity sideshow. The eyes of the artist are, finally, not on the competition but on the true, the good, and the beautiful."

So basically, music not the bling. :queenga:

Imo, I don't know what good the charts are for other than for business/marketing purposes. If anyone could enlighten my on specifically why and how the chart system came about, that'd be cool. 

I feel like if we'd all avoid being like Ed Sheeran and care so much for number one hits and sale numbers, the music experience would be much more enjoyable. I feel like artists would be more authentic with what they create rather than being obsessed with following trends and treating their art like it's a game. I feel like music listeners would be more open to different styles and genres (since everything would be arbitrary), rather than betting on what's popular or selling the most atm.

So what y'all think? Do we need the music charts? Should we be done with BB Hot 100s and get rid of the whole thing?

And remember...

giphy.gif

:trollga:

angels forever, forever angels

The Bling

You better put some RESPECTTTT on me :grr:

Spoiler

I agree on everything you just posted :diane:PREACH

Sigmund Freud, analyze this

shame

Or am I just a little disillusioned delulu who is traumatized by Gaga's present stream/sale figures trying to rationalize everything? :cryga::diane:

ryanripley

i think you can healthily separate the music from the business aspect

it's kinda cool to see what everyone is listening too but if your attitude towards how you treat artists changes due to chart success, get help lol

https://goo.gl/xMgMvJ

High Princess

Of course there's no need for charts, but the major music industry is about sales and competition in one way or another (whether from the artists' themselves or the labels). So having a chart ranking the highest selling/streaming music is/was the natural progression. Artists probably shouldn't really care about it, but when anything becomes an industry, you do have to worry about sales/streams/whatever.

DelusionalGaga

Years ago I used to listen only to the charts. It was basically my only source of music. But since mainstream music has started to decay I've been growing more frustrated. I felt like music in general has become unenjoyable. But over time I realized how wrong I was and that there's actually so much good music out here, just not on the charts. Now almost all of my faves are flops with barely any commercial success but I don't care because I'm here for the music. So, I don't know how other people feel about charts but for me they completely lost any importance.

Doncho

I think its nice that they exist because we can keep track of who is the best seller and all that. HOWEVER, I dont like when artists become desperate about it. Like, re-releasing a song with a collab, doing remixes, changing a song for radio. I dont like that. Of course everyone does that and we are so used to it...

Not complaining about the number 1 Dance song Til it happens to You though... :trollga:

shame
3 hours ago, Doncho said:

I think its nice that they exist because we can keep track of who is the best seller and all that. HOWEVER, I dont like when artists become desperate about it. Like, re-releasing a song with a collab, doing remixes, changing a song for radio. I dont like that. Of course everyone does that and we are so used to it...

Not complaining about the number 1 Dance song Til it happens to You though... :trollga:

I have no idea who you're speaking of :poot:

Spoiler

0fd4bb_be74e1e406a548ec874aac7f7b9986f7~mv2.jpg

a39d33d4a4c527822a9edfec352eae7d.1000x1000x1.jpg?itok=XEhecgiD

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-04%20at%208.15.08%20AM_zpssatfnbad.png

Taylor_Swift_Feat._Kendrick_Lamar_-_Bad_

latest?cb=20140211084837

:poot:

Doncho
45 minutes ago, TheShameMonster said:

I have no idea who you're speaking of :poot:

Reveal hidden contents

0fd4bb_be74e1e406a548ec874aac7f7b9986f7~mv2.jpg

a39d33d4a4c527822a9edfec352eae7d.1000x1000x1.jpg?itok=XEhecgiD

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-04%20at%208.15.08%20AM_zpssatfnbad.png

Taylor_Swift_Feat._Kendrick_Lamar_-_Bad_

latest?cb=20140211084837

:poot:

Exactly. Also DWUW :selena: 

CyanLights

The only time I care about charts/success is when record labels treat lower charting artists poorly l, like preventing promo or limiting studio time or creativity. 

It sucks that many artists either make music they love and don’t chart well or chart high and make “generic”, unenjoyable(to the artist) music 

Archived