Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
achievement

The "Joanne effect": Pop stars go country

shame

Featured Posts

BornSimon
12 minutes ago, Cavadour said:

Not that I specially like this album or trying to add fuel to the flames but Madonna did it with "Music" in 2000

What exactly on Music sounds even remotely country-influenced apart from "Don't Tell Me" and maybe "Gone"? It was an aesthetic she went for, it was the image, the fashion, but not the music. "Joanne" has clear country influences and references, even lyrically.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatislaps
Just now, LateToCult said:

Girl, but did they buy Joanne?  :selena:

Gaganne has more sales ratio wise compared to ARTPOP (including streaming and sales figures combined)...

LateToCult
3 minutes ago, Derpplause said:

Gaganne has more sales ratio wise compared to ARTPOP (including streaming and sales figures combined)...

I ain’t saying they bought ARTPOP more. I’m saying they didn’t buy either of them.  :deadbanana:

Chromatislaps
1 minute ago, LateToCult said:

I ain’t saying they bought ARTPOP more. I’m saying they didn’t buy either of them.  :deadbanana:

blasphemous. They should repent tbh

OcSMdjT.gif

candydarling
26 minutes ago, Cavadour said:

Not that I specially like this album or trying to add fuel to the flames but Madonna did it with "Music" in 2000

that album has nothing to do with country music lol

1 hour ago, The Master said:

I'd def say she has brought it back into fashion, but most of those artists have dabbled in the country scene, even kylie!

I'm sure they may have dabbled into country, but do they release a country/folk inspired album if Joanne doesn't happen? Maybe Kesha does, but the rest? Probably not.

1 hour ago, Cavadour said:

I'm sure she did, and I'm sure there have been plenty of examples 10, 15, 40 years ago. But within 1-2 years of the Joanne release, you saw the release of these other examples in the OP.

Madonna can have credit on doing it before Gaga, but that's not the point of the article. A trend is something that begins shortly after, not 18 years later.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Madonna and Gaga wore a cowbay hat. That's where the country stops. There is no influence, effect or anything deeper than a hat.

I would definitely agree that Joanne is a lot more “Americana-courting” than any sort of flat-out country.

Some influences? Sure, but it’s definitely no pop-country Shania album. 

3 points in and ready for more

Cavadour

As country music lover and musician I felt country and rock influences in Gaga music far before Joanne. BTW Country Road... Yoü & I... obviously. Her piano licks show many country and rock accents since her beginnings. The very first Joanne song to hit my ears and heart was Sinner's Prayer. That one is the most country of them all. The rest of Joanne sounds more acoustic and pop than country to me.

Joanne the album is the most intimate legacy of Gaga to date. She felt natural to sit in the green by a bonfire with a friend and his acoustic guitar to tell us those stories. Does it make Joanne a country album ? I see it as a tender facet of her multi-talent self and the cowboy hat only as a fashion gimmick. What seems like a trend to money oriented clone followers is just a phase for Gaga, a mood.

As a true artist, she'll reinvent herself in her next project and at the same time a new trend will follow.

Late to the party but I got a diamond heart

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Madonna and Gaga wore a cowbay hat. That's where the country stops. There is no influence, effect or anything deeper than a hat.

giphy.gif

Even if you put aside the famous pink hat, the Country music influences on Joanne were abundant.

The era's visuals are defined by cowboy hats, cowboy boots, fringe, and tons of glam western wear. She was doing choreography inspired by lassos and gun fights. The record was co-written in part with a county hit maker, Hillary Lindsey. The lyrical references to country music are everywhere on the record, even on dance songs like John Wayne. The musical influences of country music were clear on songs like Sinner's Prayer and A-Yo. The biggest single from the record, Million Reasons, was called a "pop song with country music appeal" by Rolling Stone.

If you are singing about cowboys, while dressed as a cowgirl on the back of a horse, it's safe to say you are being influenced by Country music.

androiduser

Jesus Christ, stans and their logic....  Miley's father in a country singer, her godmother is Dolly Parton, she has already performed country songs before, and now all of a sudden Gaga is the one who inspired her, with her country flavored album (at best)?

I'm sure that Madonna fans claim Madonna  inspired her with Don't Tell Me?

article-2548517-1B11D78000000578-441_634

Battle 4 Ur Life

God only knows how much I love the Joanne album and tour and the videos. but I'm SO READY for the next anti-Joanne era. #LG6

Miley shouldn't be in this list tho.

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”

Battle 4 Ur Life
4 hours ago, androiduser said:

I mean, A-Yo and Sinner's Prayer and Dancin' In Circles have somewhat a little country influence in them, mainly the instruments. but you're absolutely right. how is Hey Girl, Perfect Illusion, John Wayne and Diamond Heart country? delusional

“Stupid Love aged like Macallan tho”

sipthistea
4 hours ago, Cavadour said:

That album is not a country album. :triggered:

Only that Don't Tell Me song had country influences  :lolly: It's more of a continuation of the electronic music she was making with William Orbit. 

Archived