A Star Is Born
society

Disney defends brown-face

Featured Posts

doppelganger

I’m brown and i kind of don’t give a f**k. How authentic can Disney really be telling these kinds of stories? 

In any case them being able to get 400 out of 500 “brown” extras in the UK seems like a lot no?

Edited by doppelganger
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

babs

I do love Disney to death too but seriously how dumb can they be? Ugh just hold an audition, look through Bollywood, There are SO many brown actors trying to get a part anywhere, you take their story and then just have the same ol' white people get the parts? Dude...:saladga:

• Like 2

SychosSoChic

Are the core cast accurately cast? Yes?

Are most of the extras and featured extras cast brown? Yes?

Then I can forgive this, and reading the article...I can...Accept their reasoning.

But dear God, pray the makeup department did the bronzer well, or we are all going to notice and Disney will have to spend a fortune on PR to recover from what the Internet will do to them :air:

Edited by SychosSoChic
Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.
  • Like 4

LePetitMonstr
2 minutes ago, SychosSoChic said:

Are the core cast accurate cast? Yes?

Are most of the extras and featured extras cast brown? Yes?

Then I can forgive this, and reading the article...I can...Accept their reasoning.

But dear God, pray the makeup department did the bronzer well, or we are all going to notice and Disney will have to spend a fortune on PR to recover from what the Internet will do to them :air:

Nb4

8ehxzdvze0u33almlms7doaud.376x346x1.jpg

• LMAO 12

Why am I on GGD

Disney claims they only did it in instances when they needed actors/extra's with "speciality skills" or certain actors for safety reasons. Aka stuntmen.

• Like 3

Lord Temptation

Well it is a big budget, so of course they would waste mo money on:

- white actors

- lots of brown make up

Instead of simply hiring already brown-skinned actors. But no...

• Like 2

SychosSoChic
Just now, LePetitMonstr said:

Nb4

8ehxzdvze0u33almlms7doaud.376x346x1.jpg

If this is actually what happens :air:

I can see the threads already :air:

Omg I will burn this site to the ground :air: 

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.
  • LMAO 3

Cuchulainn
1 minute ago, 053Timo said:

Why is this a problem?

Praying for you :pray:

• Like 2

LePetitMonstr
4 minutes ago, 053Timo said:

Why is this a problem?

Run sis.:deadbanana:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 4

mister max

Did anyone read the articles tho?

A Disney spokesman told BBC Newsbeatthat cast and crew members were "made up to blend in" only in "a handful of instances when it was a matter of specialty skills, safety and control," such as when stunt artists or animal handlers were required. 

(...)

Disney have stressed that "more than 400 of the 500 background performers were Indian, Middle Eastern, African, Mediterranean and Asian." 

other article:

“Diversity of our cast and background performers was a requirement and only in a handful of instances when it was a matter of specialty skills, safety and control (special effects rigs, stunt performers and handling of animals) were crew made up to blend in.”

The media meltdown was because everyone thought all 500 people were put in "brownface" when only 100 people were put in it, which now caused even more stir because people find it weird they could find 400 actual "brown" people and not 500

Edited by mister max
  • Like 6
  • LMAO 1

PsychicGuru

... why don’t they hire Arabic/Indian actors instead of doing this crap? Absolutely ridiculous.

Gaga's #1 fan
  • Like 1

Sailor

I really don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I think, in the name of art, you should be able to do whatever you want.

But, as everyone's pointing out, there's no reason why they can't hire real Indian people. :emma:

bannedT for life and it's SAD
  • Like 1

LePetitMonstr
2 minutes ago, Sailor said:

I really don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I think, in the name of art, you should be able to do whatever you want.

But, as everyone's pointing out, there's no reason why they can't hire real Indian people. :emma:

I think it was filmed in the U.K., which is predomently white. So of course its not gonna be easy to hire middle eastern people.