💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd won't work with H&M again

OBEY

Featured Posts

Morphine Prince

Y'all realize it's not just about calling someone a monkey, right? 

This term was used and is still used by some to DEHUMANIZE. 

The US had HUMAN ZOOS for blacks. 

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SychosSoChic
2 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Obviously the kid and the mother of the kid were fine with it. They probably didn’t even give a **** because kids are called monkeys all the time. It’s jusy privileged people that find offence in everything. The people that actually have to deal with racism only WISH that this is what they had to deal with..

I dunno, I just don’t understand why we as a culture enjoy being offended and finding things that could be taken as offensive.

It's not you as a culture. Africa has been feeling like this for decades, if not centuries.

Race issues isn't some new phenomena. POC have been talking about it for years, they've just never been so open about it until now.

Life ain't Hollywood for any one of us.

FalsePromise
49 minutes ago, Robo Ga said:

Seems kind of dramatic, I'd assume this was a mistake/oversight... no company acting in self-interest would want this kind of public attention. If they were actually racist they probably just wouldn't use black models. It's hard for me to believe this was actually due to malice 

Amen. People are so easily offened these days. They're acting like everyone's against them. Would he do the same if it was a white child wearing that sweater?! It's just publicity stunt for himself 

JustinTrudeau

I misread the sweater as "monke" and thought it was a twist to the word "monk" so I was confused. :selena:

I fell down the stairs once as an actor.

DeleteMyAccount
2 minutes ago, codymonster said:

Obviously the kid and the mother of the kid were fine with it. They probably didn’t even give a **** because kids are called monkeys all the time. It’s jusy privileged people that find offence in everything. The people that actually have to deal with racism only WISH that this is what they had to deal with..

I dunno, I just don’t understand why we as a culture enjoy being offended and finding things that could be taken as offensive. Clearly this kid was not being called a monkey in a racist way. So I’m not sure why people are jumping at H+M’s throats.

As I said, it's the unfortunate visual that is being displayed. That's all. And I think all the anti-SWJ people here in this thread are are trying to make it seem like others are trying to make WW3 out of this.

18 minutes ago, ZacharyMark said:

Yes. But the implication is why people are upset. Do you not understand the history of why this may be upsetting to some? No, because you don't belong that that group of people. WE ALL KNOW that H&M didn't imply that black people are monkeys. You hear me? BUT the marketing will surely get in hot water for this. I don't understand why you have to be mad at people for something you think is ridiculous. Why waste that time?

And I brought up trans representation because we've seen this exact scenario take place with other companies. Are the companies transphobic? Probably not, but it's probably best to remind people of why we shouldn't have certain imagery combined as it narrates a specific narration. 

I don't really get your war with SJW if you think their war isn't serious. Why bring it up then?

I can understand this history at least from the context of what I see people feel similarly about within the trans community regarding stereotypes, but I don't take offense to those really.

I find it hilariously counterproductive because all any of this kind of thing does is legitimately make it worse for the communities 'insulted' than it would if it were just left alone

Sailor

I was called a monkey as a child. It's not a weird thing.

bannedT for life and it's SAD

codymonster
Just now, SychosSoChic said:

It's not you as a culture. Africa has been feeling like this for decades, if not centuries.

Yes, and I bet the African people who have dealt with extreme racism would clearly be able to see that this was not done with a cruel intent. It’s the privileged people that get triggered and look for ways to be offended. It’s almost disrespectful to the people who actually deal with extreme and hateful racism.

DeleteMyAccount
1 minute ago, FalsePromise said:

Amen. People are so easily offened these days. They're acting like everyone's against them. Would he do the same if it was a white child wearing that sweater?! It's just publicity stunt for himself 

No because being white and being called a monkey doesn't have history.

Now obviously H&M is a global brand and should be aware of how things can have different meanings in different cultures, but I do think it was a genuine mistake rather than anything intentionally malicious.

I don't know if this is just exclusive to where I live but monkey is a really common term of endearment for kids, especially when they are being funny or mischievous and doesn't carry any kind of connotations about race.  I swear there's even a daycare chain called "Little Monkeys".

6 minutes ago, kvnrp said:

But where is the exposure for cat rights?! :grr:

How does SHE feel when you call her by the name of a different species?

How would you feel when your cat calls you dolphin? :excuseu:

She is somewhere in my apartment writing a dumb ass comment on GagaDaily, I am sure of it :selena:

FalsePromise
1 minute ago, ZacharyMark said:

No because being white and being called a monkey doesn't have history.

people call their kids and each other a monkey all the time as a joke... stop making something out of nothing over and over again. God this ****ing overliberal sh*t is getting insane and ridiculous.

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived