music news

Lana being sued by Radiohead

youandi

Featured Posts

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scallywally

Mmmm chord progressions and songs you can see in every 10 albums that come out. **** happens.. Im not knocking radiohead, his version of ive seen it all with B is one of my fave songs. We cant get into fights as gaga fans picking pieces out of sons and chord progressions... lol. Our queen G wouldnt be able to go on tour with the amount of court cases shed have to attend. Its taking in influence (whether you meant to or not) and coming out with something of your own. I read a book once and it included absorbing influences from music you hear from being young to hearing without noticing a song in the car on the radio or from shopping/work/walking your dog. I think there was a doc made, its probably on YouTube. 

Let it all blow over its pointless to even argue online as we weren't there and we dont know theres no receipts. People here are slapping people around with no evidence either side. Were more grown up than that!! 

Radioheads court case with creep is obviously doing a domino effect, just let it be. Fight it out after the professionals have gone through the evidence and made a conclusion. The only benefit over this is fat men in suits will drag it out in courts to make a fortune from people making music. 

So stupid.

5 minutes ago, Cssomeone said:

Ok, we won.

Reveal hidden contents

:bye:

If that helps you sleep at night, i’m glad  talking to me made you feel any better ! 

As for me, i’ll go on with my day bc i don’t really care about this issue in the end. If Lana lied ok thats her problem thats not cool. If they lie ok thats their problem thats not cool! see ya on the forum 

1 minute ago, scallywally said:

Mmmm chord progressions and songs you can see in every 10 albums that come out. **** happens.. Im not knocking radiohead, his version of ive seen it all with B is one of my fave songs. We cant get into fights as gaga fans picking pieces out of sons and chord progressions... lol. Our queen G wouldnt be able to go on tour with the amount of court cases shed have to attend. Its taking in influence (whether you meant to or not) and coming out with something of your own. I read a book once and it included absorbing influences from music you hear from being young to hearing without noticing a song in the car on the radio or from shopping/work/walking your dog. I think there was a doc made, its probably on YouTube. 

Lit it all blow over its pointless to even argue online as we weren't there and we dont know theres no receipts. People here are slapping people around with no evidence either side. Were more grown up than that!! 

Radioheads court case with creep is obviously doing a domino effect, just let it be. Fight it out after the professionals have gone through the evidence and made a conclusion. The only benefit over this is fat men in suits will drag it out in courts to make a fortune from people making music. 

So stupid.

whew tell them 

Cssomeone
6 minutes ago, OBEY said:

If that helps you sleep at night, i’m glad  talking to me made you feel any better ! 

As for me, i’ll go on with my day bc i don’t really care about this issue in the end. If Lana lied ok thats her problem thats not cool. If they lie ok thats their problem thats not cool! see ya on the forum 

It didn't actually. I've discussed with people with better arguments which made the debate more interesting. But nice try :)

9 minutes ago, scallywally said:

Let it all blow over its pointless to even argue online as we weren't there and we dont know theres no receipts. People here are slapping people around with no evidence either side. Were more grown up than that!! 

There are evidences for everything to see, unfortunately some people would rather pretend they don't exist.

If you think this matter has no effect on your lives, why do you care to comment?

5 minutes ago, Cssomeone said:

It didn't actually. I've discussed with people with better arguments which made the debate more interesting. But nice try :)

There are evidences for everything to see, unfortunately some people would rather pretend they don't exist.

If you think this matter has no effect on your lives, why do you care to comment?

sorry I'm binge watching the end of the ****ing world on Netflix at the same time !

Cssomeone
2 minutes ago, OBEY said:

sorry I'm binge watching the end of the ****ing world on Netflix at the same time !

And I'm watching Dark

scallywally
30 minutes ago, Cssomeone said:

(Im not a part of anyone else) I cared to comment to try to create a bit of peace. 

Pacify Him

Stan culture is so toxic :selena:

but here I am making jokes about it in a Radiohead fan Discord and having a great time with the members there :lolly:

I’m getting on your nerves

youandi
1 hour ago, Cry Baby said:

Stan culture is so toxic :selena:

It really is! I wish I hadn't have made this thread. 

Seems like it's impossible to have a discussion without it getting weird or cruel. Fair enough if people want to defend the artists they like but the arguments here are just silly now :(

StrawberryBlond
On 1/10/2018 at 12:01 AM, Cssomeone said:

- Sorry, I meant to say she has a rather poor vocal ability to this day.

- There is no lawsuit :icega: They have been discussing this for the past six months, keeping it secret from the GP and then she tweeted about being sued by them. So, she obviously lied. They don't need any publicity.

That's your opinion. Maybe her technique doesn't appeal to all. But to say she sounds no different today than she did during her debut is 100% false. If you'd researched her life performances, you'd see it. She even does semi operatic notes on Body Electric occasionally, hits a super high note in Cola and held a single note for 17 seconds straight on a cover of Nirvana's Heart Shaped Box.

You don't discuss something for 6 months and then don't plan on doing something about it eventually. Discussing copyrights will result in something. She might be breaking her silence on it because something is about to happen.

On 1/10/2018 at 1:45 AM, Inferno said:

This paragraph is exactly why I do not like Lana Del Rey stans.

Cyrus Skies sounds absolutely nothing like Ultraviolence the album. Miley admitted to Lana being one of the collage of artists that inspired that specific work. However, nothing Miley made sounded directly ripped from anything Lana has ever made. Its inspiration is in her psychadelic ambien styled vocals. That being said, Lana is so incredibly derivative herself that its kind of hypocritical to try and accuse anyone of copping her sound when all she is is a collage of contemporary indie cliches. I mean I look at Lorde's Pure Heroine and theres just so much more meat there than Lanas debut yet ive seen people such as yourself reduce Lorde to nothing more than banking off of Lanas aesthetic? Like are you serious? Because of her minimalism? no.

I genuinely enjoy Lana, I really do. But im just...not in the mood for this. I need to stop.

I never said Cyrus Skies sounded exactly like any specific Lana songs, just that the entire aesthetic was very reminiscent of Lana's work. I didn't say she should sue, it's just an ackowledgement that her work has inspired others and you just admitted that Miley did credit her as being one of the inspirations, so there you go. I also never denied that Lana hasn't been inspired by others but lets be honest, there was no successful female in the charts like her when she debuted in 2012. She started her own lane with her sound for the modern age. You're entitled to think that Lorde's debut is better but I certainly don't agree - Lorde was still a naive 16 year old who thought she knew it all with that release and it came off pretentious, albeit with potential. I'm talking about Lorde's deep tone and stripped down sound, that kind of thing wasn't around until Lana made it popular. Almost 2 years later, Lorde comes out with her take on it. And as I said before, Taylor Swift ripped off Without You when she made Wildest Dreams. Halsey basically is Lana, just with more hip hop elements - Hurricane is 100% Lana inspiration, it sounds like she could've written it. Fetish by Selena Gomez even sounds like Lana in parts. Her presence on the music scene is undeniable.

Maybe the reason why you sometimes find Lana fans difficult to deal with is because you underestimate their fave so much. Everyone likes to have a go at Lana and I don't know why. She's so nice and she's never had a major hit that's bothered the success of any of the big names. Usually, big hatred for artists originates from an artist being untalented yet having hit after hit. But Lana can't even sell a million copies worldwide these days. Yet, so many people are weirdly obsessed with hating her. That's why we get so irritable with outsiders. Speaking as someone who's used to being ragged on despite doing nothing wrong my entire life, I can relate to this somehow, so it's like an extended defence of myself into the bargain.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:25 AM, Inferno said:

Lana cares immensely about her perception and she was most likely annoyed that they wanted everyone to get credit so she made a scene of it to make them look bad. Its Radiohead, a band that really doesnt care about PR or any of this pop stan crap vs. Lana Del Rey a corporate pop star.

Haha, typical woman, making a victim out of herself, right? Crying crocodile tears to make everyone feel sorry for her? You can't play the victim if you actually are the victim. This situation is somehow framed very differently when men do it. They're just standing up for themselves and their art, apparently. And Lana, a corporate pop star? That's one of the biggest misconceptions about her, a very sexist one at that. Lana has never wanted to be massively mainstream. She hated the generic remix of Summertime Sadness (it actually won a Grammy, which she wasn't included in, which is outrageous). She only toured America with Ultraviolence and didn't tour at all with Honeymoon. She rarely gives interviews. She doesn't promote anymore. She doesn't make the kind of music that's in the charts. She never follows trends, she does her own thing. That's the exact opposite to being a corporate popstar. But, for some reason, when a woman gets success on her own, people immediately want to accuse her of being fake or manufactured by a record label. Even Gaga was accused of that. Even though plenty of male artists are just like these women in terms of how they made it and their genre of music, they get called the real deal. Unsurprisingly, it must lead male artists to think women on the alternative scene aren't as good as them and look down on them. And then they start to think their art isn't worth protecting, so why not sue her for copyright? At least go after artists on your level. Radiohead should piss off and pick on someone their own size.

On 1/10/2018 at 2:33 AM, Inferno said:

And in the same sense, why do you insist on defending her over a band you admit to knowing nothing about. At least we're knowledgeable about both parties.

I dont hate her. But the Lana stan mentality of her always being a victim just annoys me and you like refuse to even entertain the notion that shes just like any other self serving industry person.

I know about Radiohead to some degree, so there.

You can't "play" the victim if you actually are the victim. I've been accused of doing this many times, I don't stand for it. Neither does gendered language like "manipulative" fly when used in conjunction with accusations of victimhood. It's the classic sexist one-two punch.

Michaelandro

So they are suing her for ripping off a song they ripped off from another band? Right. It's not even that similar, I don't understand :saladga: I love Creep and Get free did sound familiar to me at first but I would have never connected it to Creep. Who even owns chord progressions... If this becomes a thing pretty much everyone can sue everyone. This was obviously random, who would go and intentionally rip off a classic thinking nobody would notice. Nothing is exclusive in music and everything sounds familiar.

ItsTommyBitch

Lana did not say "Radiohead is suing me for 100% of the publishing rights" - she said that she offered them 40% and they did not accept it, so they are going to court.

So the publisher's comments to me seem like the rebuttal of an assumption made based off of her words. It's spinning information, even if its just slightly :gum: 

Lana has never been the one to deal with public criticism well, let alone scandal. It's been very emotionally and physically taxing for her over the years, and in many ways she often seems incredibly affected by the BtD and early Ultraviolence eras. She has clearly had mental health related issues because of this kind of thing and she still struggles to give interviews and things of that nature.

I don't see the point of her lying when that would clearly bring attention to her and cause negative feedback eventually. 

Meanwhile, Radiohead's publishers statement being "to the press" does not make it any more inherently true, the bias is showing :awkney: It's equally likely they are trying to change the story, from Radiohead seeming like petty artists for what they are doing and flip the script to make her seem like a liar. However, what they have said doesn't actually dismiss anything she said in her tweet. It will probably end up being solved in court because I figure that she isn't willing to say that "Radiohead" (and whoever else) should be considered writers or that kind of thing because although there are obviously similarities in the verse/pre-chorus (the chords mean absolutely nothing legally and musically, its not uncommon at all) she wasn't actually inspired by Creep at all - melodically or lyrically. (I personally think she should concede however I understand standing your guns and defending yourself when you're telling the truth) 

I'd wager it was accidental. The melody of the verses of Get Free aren't even very original for Lana herself. Many of her songs have similar intervallic patterns and contours melodically. It's appropriate to the mood. Look at Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, a few of her unreleased, etc.

It's the chorus and the instrumental + layering and the outro that give Get Free its unique qualities, as well as her vocal timbre and the production on her voice.

I'm basically saying, Lana has plenty songs whose verses are somewhat similar to Get Free's - this one only sounds like Creep because the so called "unique" chord progression gives it such a setting.Are Lana's natural melodic instincts that favor low, falling slow verses for her more ballad like songs all copies of Creep by Radiohead :gum: 

If I had more time, I would sit down at a piano and map out the melodic structures and intervals of a bunch of verses of Lana songs. I feel pretty confident that "Get Free"'s verses would not be inconsistent with her style. I don't believe she copied ****, and even though I know "intent" is not something that the law is truly concerned with here, I understand wanting to stand up for yourself and your art. 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Archived