Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can "reputation" be as successful as "1989"?

smokingthemall

Featured Posts

smokingthemall

Taylor Swift is hands down one of the biggest artists today. Having own multiple Grammy awards (10), every album surpassing 4 million copies each and is surely worth over $280 million. Her new album, "reputation" is set to be released on November 10 which contains "Look What You Made Me Do", "...Ready for It?" and newly released single, "Gorgeous". 'Look What You Made Me Do' peaked at #1 on the BBH100 and gave her the best selling first week sales for a single in 2017 (so far), selling over 700K copies. Taylor's previous album, "1989", debuted at #1 on the BB200, with first week sales exceeding 1.2 million. The album became the best selling album of 2014 and won two Grammy awards including "Album of the Year".

TAYLOR%20SWIFT.jpg

In support of the album, Taylor embarked on "The 1989 World Tour" which began on May 5, 2015 and ended on December 12, 2015 with 85 shows played. In total, the tour had an audience size of over 2.2 million and grossed $250+ million. According to Billboard, 'The 1989 World Tour' was the highest grossing Pop tour in 2015.

Taylor-Swift:-1989-World-Tour-in-Toronto taylor-swift-the-1989-world-tour-at-brid

The list goes on for the achievements of '1989', but did she set the bar too high, even for herself

With the anticipation being incredibly high for Taylor, can 'reputation' be as successful as '1989'?

taylor_swift_1989_album_cover.jpgTaylor-Swift-reputation-ART-2017-billboa

Let me know what you guys think!

chase your big, beautiful dreams

Ryusei

No, because she was loved by everyone except those that didnt like her music in her 1989 era and now everyone and their mom have irrational hate towards her. (Also she basically has what I like to call the ARTPOP bias aka everyone already has their "LOLOL it ****ing sucks" message ready before it's even out)

/thread

Musery

GeeYewWhai
Just now, Ryusei said:

No, because she was loved by everyone except those that didnt like her music in her 1989 era and now everyone and their mom have irrational hate towards her 

/thread

no it's pretty rational :lolly:

Nothing Happened

Ryusei
2 minutes ago, GeeYewWhai said:

no it's pretty rational :lolly:

Keep telling yourself that 

Musery

gagagoogoose

Not by the direction she's going. 

She relies too heavily on visual impact that she forgets to make actual music, which is important in the longevity of an era.

TheCureinMalibu

You guys haven't even heard the album yet.:air:

When 3 of the songs from 1989 got released first (Shake It Off, Out Of The Woods,Welcome To New York). The reaction was almost the same as now. :air:

We can't say anything by far. But I think she can still be.

:air:

smokingthemall
Just now, TheCureinMalibu said:

You guys haven't even heard the album yet.:air:

When 3 of the songs from 1989 got released first (Shake It Off, Out Of The Woods,Welcome To New York). The reaction was almost the same as now.

We can't say anything by far. But I think she can still be.

:air:

great point 

chase your big, beautiful dreams

GypsyBabe

No. I don’t think the music that she is putting out is as good as 1989 and the visuals seem forced. 

pohp4HdTg

⚯͛

TheCureinMalibu

With 1989

Shake It Off: Lack of meaningful lyrics, but catchy.

Out Of The Woods: Too repetitive (lack of chorus). 70% hates it when it got released.

Welcome To New York: Hate it as first but like it afterwards. 

With Reputation:

Look What You Made Me Do: Lack of meaninful lyrics, but catchy

Ready For It: Lack of chorus. Good instrumentals and lyrics.

Gorgeous: (people were saying it lacks of meaningful lyrics. I say f*** then. The lyrics are cute and adorable and totally fit). Some hates it at first but it's grown inside them. 

---> So don't really judge soon. Cause 1989 is the most awarded pop album of history :giggle:

bloody g

Yes because she is the next MJ

『𝐟𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐝』

Idk, maybe yes but it won't be as iconic :huh: I think the only think that will remain is LWYMMD video

... and now i just sit in silence.

TheFamousLM

The songs she released from Reputation aren't at 1989's level imo. And they seem to be a little bit less successful (Shake It Off was way bigger than LWYMMD). So I'd say she'll do great but no 1989's numbers.

I liked a few songs from 1989 because they were similar to the 90s pop, but now the songs from Reputation are just like any song from the Chainsmokers or Calvin and I don't like it..

I think this is why it was successful, because it was not EDM or anything electronic, it was pure..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

davidtaylor

I don't think the whole 'dark taylor' thing will last enough for an entire era :/

it's gonna get boring for her and everyone else

so happy i could die

Archived