💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What made Despacito such a mega hit?

NIghtmareElm

Featured Posts

the song was a hit in south america and some part of europe but justin give it the push to be a worldwide hit

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TimisaMonster
44 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

thats impossible lol

I'm being honest...ive never heard of seen the video... :shrug:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

Ariana Grindr
On 10/7/2017 at 7:32 PM, Rafr88 said:

Well the only way I can explain the point of views of many here is:

'MURICA

Like:

Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif

Despacito was a hit since January in all the hispanic market, Latin America and Spain (both consumers of reggaeton), from two big latin singers, Daddy Yankee (must known in America for Gasolina) and Luis Fonsi (No me doy por vencido was some of the biggest hits of the latin billboard), that were almost everywhere for like 3 months. Luis Fonsi didnt make reggaeton before, so for most people was interesting, and Daddy Yankee just made it a certified reggaeton "bop", to make it clear.

In April, Justin Bieber did the remix and the song exploded in the global market, because, sadly, if you want to be famous, or at least get recognizedin the world, you have to be famous in America, theres no other way. Then there are all the things you said before.

Born This Way did nothing to you:interestinga: Must of you still so close-minded and hatefull, you can see different genres of music that you dont like being successful, same with rap/hip-hop/tropical and others.:saladga:

This theme left a mark in this community, just dont ever make other thread about Despacito:neyde:

Gracias. spill the facts to the fats:madge:

GypsyBabe
23 hours ago, TimisaMonster said:

I'm being honest...ive never heard of seen the video... :shrug:

Same :diane:

Our ears have been spared, I think. :shrug:

⚯͛

Ariana Grindr
On 10/7/2017 at 10:35 AM, StrawberryBlond said:

The Justin Beiber remix was what really made it take off worldwide. That was the main factor. An English language version always pushes it further afield. But I think Hispanic Americans really overplayed it to ensure that a big Latin hit was possible after Trump was elected (everyone's making protest songs right now and this was a different way of doing that). When news spread that it was going to break Mariah's record in the coming weeks, it only increased interest in it. And well, Hispanic music lovers are devoted. When a reggaton hit shows any level of taking off, they support it all the way. You'll notice if you look up any Latin act like Shakira, Enrique, even Marc Anthony, you'll find that they have a lot of Vevo certified videos, a lot of likes and a lot of subscribers. Spanish is the second most spoken language in the world. It makes sense that if a Spanish song starts taking off, it'll really take off.

You can see why the English lyrics aren't that dirty. It might not sell otherwise, so it was best to keep the dirtiest parts in another language. Malaysia actually banned it for the lyrics, but it seemed they were the only country to actually bother translating them. A section of it is basically lyrical p*rn. "I'll sign the walls of your labyrinth and turn your entire body into a manuscript." I had to actually have that lyric explained to me because I'm not used to seeing such poetic sexual innuendos.

But I don't know about your assertion of empowering female sexuality. As a woman myself, this isn't usually the most empowering thing a guy can do to you, just saying.

I can speak so much of it and there's always translations. I'm not always the biggest fan of Latin music, though. I think a lot of it sounds the same and for the likes of Shakira in particular, her Spanish stuff always sounds so much blander (both lyrics and production) than her English work, unless it's a Spanish translation of an existing English one.

I agree that the production is quite nice and I think it would be nice to do salsa dancing to it. You could really get into the flow of it then. But just sitting listening to it, I find it ok at best. I didn't know Luis but I did know Daddy Yankee - I was a teenager back when he released Gasolina. But I didn't know of what else he did from then on. And I'm from the UK, by the way. As I said before, the Latin market is huge, hence all the huge views and likes Latin songs get. I just think there's better Latin songs out there than this. I'm surprised, considering the success of Despacito, that Chantaje didn't become bigger worldwide for Shakira considering it has 1.8 billion views and 6 million likes in less than a year. But I guess having a English language feature is where its at. But if I were her, I'd feel a bit bummed out that my very popular song couldn't have the same effect. Lento by CNCO is catching on in the UK because Little Mix are doing an English remix of it too. Herein begins the Despacito effect. Just a shame for the artists who already have their Spanish language albums completed and promoted.

"I can speak so much of it and there's always translations. I'm not always the biggest fan of Latin music, though. I think a lot of it sounds the same and for the likes of Shakira in particular, her Spanish stuff always sounds so much blander (both lyrics and production) than her English work, unless it's a Spanish translation of an existing English one."

gurl wut?! Clearly you're not well versed in the Spanish language...at all. As a native speaker I confirm Shakira's **** is 1000000% fire in Spanish, her lyrics are ahead of the game. She writes songs the way Neruda wrote poetry and Marquez wrote Novels. Your comment is extremely ignorant and quite offensive to say the least:sharon:

StrawberryBlond
12 hours ago, ECORONA said:

"I can speak so much of it and there's always translations. I'm not always the biggest fan of Latin music, though. I think a lot of it sounds the same and for the likes of Shakira in particular, her Spanish stuff always sounds so much blander (both lyrics and production) than her English work, unless it's a Spanish translation of an existing English one."

gurl wut?! Clearly you're not well versed in the Spanish language...at all. As a native speaker I confirm Shakira's **** is 1000000% fire in Spanish, her lyrics are ahead of the game. She writes songs the way Neruda wrote poetry and Marquez wrote Novels. Your comment is extremely ignorant and quite offensive to say the least:sharon:

I can only be so well-versed in it when I'm not a native speaker. Obviously, the strict style that is learned through school and books is very different from the actual Spanish spoken by the natives in the modern age. I don't really know the way a native would phrase something in actuality nor am I aware of local proverbs and cultural references/differences. That's why when a song like Whenever Wherever is translated, we don't understand what lyrics like "I would climb the Andes slowly to kiss the freckles on your body" and "my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains" mean, even in translation. So, obviously, there's a cultural gap and something gets lost in translation. Sometimes, you'll just see a line and think: "We wouldn't say that in English."

I'm not averse to all her work. Apart from her Magia and Peligro albums which I've never heard, I've listened to all her albums and though I can't remember every song on it, I remember that Fijacion Oral is the best, closely followed by El Dorado. But there's some good ones on the other 3 too, they're just fewer and far between. Sale El Sol was her first Spanish album I heard and I was just disappointed, I thought the song, Mariposas, especially, was a such a bland, forgettable song that sounded like a song sung by a Disney teenager. Out of all her Spanish work, I quite liked Ojos Asi, La Pared, La Tortura, No, Lo Imprescindible, Loca, Gordita, Rabiosa, Nada, Chantaje, Trap and Toneladas. As you can see, I don't remember much of her early work apart from Ojos Asi but I don't completely hate her Spanish work, I just think it's few and far between. There's no need to be rude because we have different tastes.

Ariana Grindr
10 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I can only be so well-versed in it when I'm not a native speaker. Obviously, the strict style that is learned through school and books is very different from the actual Spanish spoken by the natives in the modern age. I don't really know the way a native would phrase something in actuality nor am I aware of local proverbs and cultural references/differences. That's why when a song like Whenever Wherever is translated, we don't understand what lyrics like "I would climb the Andes slowly to kiss the freckles on your body" and "my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains" mean, even in translation. So, obviously, there's a cultural gap and something gets lost in translation. Sometimes, you'll just see a line and think: "We wouldn't say that in English."

I'm not averse to all her work. Apart from her Magia and Peligro albums which I've never heard, I've listened to all her albums and though I can't remember every song on it, I remember that Fijacion Oral is the best, closely followed by El Dorado. But there's some good ones on the other 3 too, they're just fewer and far between. Sale El Sol was her first Spanish album I heard and I was just disappointed, I thought the song, Mariposas, especially, was a such a bland, forgettable song that sounded like a song sung by a Disney teenager. Out of all her Spanish work, I quite liked Ojos Asi, La Pared, La Tortura, No, Lo Imprescindible, Loca, Gordita, Rabiosa, Nada, Chantaje, Trap and Toneladas. As you can see, I don't remember much of her early work apart from Ojos Asi but I don't completely hate her Spanish work, I just think it's few and far between. There's no need to be rude because we have different tastes.

"I can speak so much of it and there's always translations"

You meant to say "I can ONLY speak so much of it"

"I'm not always the biggest fan of Latin music, though."

You're entitled to your opinion.... I guess lol

"I  think a lot of it sounds the same and for the likes of Shakira in particular, her Spanish stuff always sounds so much blander (both lyrics and production) than her English work"

So you're not a native speaker yet you go ahead and call her Spanish work "IN PARTICULAR"...."blander"...hmmmm??:oprah:

"I can only be so well-versed in it when I'm not a native speaker."  

Duh. So why go ahead and dissect a native speaker's work in the Spanish language and call it bland when you yourself are not a native speaker ??:selena:

"Obviously, the strict style that is learned through school and books is very different from the actual Spanish spoken by the natives in the modern age."

duh.:sharon:

"I don't really know the way a native would phrase something in actuality nor am I aware of local proverbs and cultural references/differences." 

Exactly.

"That's why when a song like Whenever Wherever is translated, we don't understand what lyrics like "I would climb the Andes slowly to kiss the freckles on your body" and "my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains" mean, even in translation."

Now this has nothing to do with the "cultural gap" you speak of.

She is literally saying that she would climb the Andes (The Andes, running along South America's western side, is among the world's longest mountain ranges. Its varied terrain encompasses glaciers, volcanoes, grassland, desert, lakes and forest. The mountains shelter pre-Columbian archaeological sites and wildlife including chinchillas and condors. FromVenezuela in the north, the range passes through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile.) 

JUST to kiss his him/his body, which happens to have freckles. She loves him THAT MUCH:bon:

furthermore, staying on the mountain theme, she says that she is glad her tits ain't that big to be the main focus about her. She has more to offer than her body. She's putting misogynistic men in their place.

"So, obviously, there's a cultural gap and something gets lost in translation. Sometimes, you'll just see a line and think: "We wouldn't say that in English."

Just because we wouldn't say "that" in English does not make her Spanish work "bland" especially when she IS a native speaker and she debuted in that language.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just calling you out for being rude...see the difference ??:nails:

edit: :hug:

StrawberryBlond
17 hours ago, ECORONA said:

"I can speak so much of it and there's always translations"

You meant to say "I can ONLY speak so much of it"

"I'm not always the biggest fan of Latin music, though."

You're entitled to your opinion.... I guess lol

"I  think a lot of it sounds the same and for the likes of Shakira in particular, her Spanish stuff always sounds so much blander (both lyrics and production) than her English work"

So you're not a native speaker yet you go ahead and call her Spanish work "IN PARTICULAR"...."blander"...hmmmm??:oprah:

"I can only be so well-versed in it when I'm not a native speaker."  

Duh. So why go ahead and dissect a native speaker's work in the Spanish language and call it bland when you yourself are not a native speaker ??:selena:

"Obviously, the strict style that is learned through school and books is very different from the actual Spanish spoken by the natives in the modern age."

duh.:sharon:

"I don't really know the way a native would phrase something in actuality nor am I aware of local proverbs and cultural references/differences." 

Exactly.

"That's why when a song like Whenever Wherever is translated, we don't understand what lyrics like "I would climb the Andes slowly to kiss the freckles on your body" and "my breasts are small and humble so you don't confuse them with mountains" mean, even in translation."

Now this has nothing to do with the "cultural gap" you speak of.

She is literally saying that she would climb the Andes (The Andes, running along South America's western side, is among the world's longest mountain ranges. Its varied terrain encompasses glaciers, volcanoes, grassland, desert, lakes and forest. The mountains shelter pre-Columbian archaeological sites and wildlife including chinchillas and condors. FromVenezuela in the north, the range passes through Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina and Chile.) 

JUST to kiss his him/his body, which happens to have freckles. She loves him THAT MUCH:bon:

furthermore, staying on the mountain theme, she says that she is glad her tits ain't that big to be the main focus about her. She has more to offer than her body. She's putting misogynistic men in their place.

"So, obviously, there's a cultural gap and something gets lost in translation. Sometimes, you'll just see a line and think: "We wouldn't say that in English."

Just because we wouldn't say "that" in English does not make her Spanish work "bland" especially when she IS a native speaker and she debuted in that language.

I wasn't trying to be rude, just calling you out for being rude...see the difference ??:nails:

edit: :hug:

I meant it in the other way. You don't always have to add in "only" when you say this. It's just that tone can't be picked up on online.

Yes, I am entitled to my opinion. There's no need for a "lol" at the end.

I'm only saying how I feel about her Spanish work personally. It doesn't matter what language you speak. You're allowed to have your own opinion on any music, so long as you've translated it. If Spanish is your first language, why are you free to dissect English language music, going by your logic? For the record, I'm an amateur music reviewer. I listen to all genres and all artists. I review Shakira's music as part of what I do. I'm just critiquing her in the same way I would any other artist. She doesn't get a pass just because she doesn't always sing in English. If I can understand the language to an extent, I'll review it.

I understand literally what she's saying with the Andes/freckles line but what I'm saying is that this isn't something an English speaker would say, so it sounds strange to us. I can't remember the song, but there an English song out there that talks about "travelling so far just to hold your face in my hands" or suchlike. Look at the lyrics of Don't Wanna Miss A Thing for the same idea. Maybe what she says sounds sweet and romantic in Latin culture but to English speakers ears, it just sounds odd, even if all the words are correct. You'll find that a lot of romantic lines are lost in translation because different cultures have different ideas of romance. And is that really want she means by the breasts/mountains line? I really wouldn't have thought of it that way. Even as it's explained to me, it still doesn't wash. Even the "strong legs like my mother" line just sounds a bit funny in English because different cultures glorify different body parts. Let's just say that strong legs aren't something I've ever heard an English speaker boast of. Long legs, maybe, but not strong legs. Then there's lines that don't quite make grammatical sense, like "lucky that I love a foreign land for the lucky fact of your existence." Even the line: "Can't you see I'm at your feet" is strange. I still like the song but when it first came out, I was paying attention to the beat and chorus more than anything. I didn't start actually looking at the lyrics until I was older and realised how strange they were in English. I was listening to She Wolf yesterday and remembered how so many people thought the line about "I'm feeling just a little bit abused like a coffee machine in an office" was really funny. Again, that's not an analogy English speakers would come up with.

It's not my fault that my ears pick up on different things when she sings in her own language. It's the beats that I'm not as keen on more than anything. Apart from the bombastic Gordita, her Spanish songs just lack the amazing production of songs like Objection, Whenever Wherever, Hips Don't Lie, etc. It seems like she saves her best beats for her English songs. At the end of day, I don't have to like something just because it's in the native language.

If you wanted to do the hug emoji, couldn't you have edited out the other stuff if you saw me differently by reading the end of my paragraph?

Ariana Grindr
4 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I meant it in the other way. You don't always have to add in "only" when you say this. It's just that tone can't be picked up on online.

Yes, I am entitled to my opinion. There's no need for a "lol" at the end.

I'm only saying how I feel about her Spanish work personally. It doesn't matter what language you speak. You're allowed to have your own opinion on any music, so long as you've translated it. If Spanish is your first language, why are you free to dissect English language music, going by your logic? For the record, I'm an amateur music reviewer. I listen to all genres and all artists. I review Shakira's music as part of what I do. I'm just critiquing her in the same way I would any other artist. She doesn't get a pass just because she doesn't always sing in English. If I can understand the language to an extent, I'll review it.

I understand literally what she's saying with the Andes/freckles line but what I'm saying is that this isn't something an English speaker would say, so it sounds strange to us. I can't remember the song, but there an English song out there that talks about "travelling so far just to hold your face in my hands" or suchlike. Look at the lyrics of Don't Wanna Miss A Thing for the same idea. Maybe what she says sounds sweet and romantic in Latin culture but to English speakers ears, it just sounds odd, even if all the words are correct. You'll find that a lot of romantic lines are lost in translation because different cultures have different ideas of romance. And is that really want she means by the breasts/mountains line? I really wouldn't have thought of it that way. Even as it's explained to me, it still doesn't wash. Even the "strong legs like my mother" line just sounds a bit funny in English because different cultures glorify different body parts. Let's just say that strong legs aren't something I've ever heard an English speaker boast of. Long legs, maybe, but not strong legs. Then there's lines that don't quite make grammatical sense, like "lucky that I love a foreign land for the lucky fact of your existence." Even the line: "Can't you see I'm at your feet" is strange. I still like the song but when it first came out, I was paying attention to the beat and chorus more than anything. I didn't start actually looking at the lyrics until I was older and realised how strange they were in English. I was listening to She Wolf yesterday and remembered how so many people thought the line about "I'm feeling just a little bit abused like a coffee machine in an office" was really funny. Again, that's not an analogy English speakers would come up with.

It's not my fault that my ears pick up on different things when she sings in her own language. It's the beats that I'm not as keen on more than anything. Apart from the bombastic Gordita, her Spanish songs just lack the amazing production of songs like Objection, Whenever Wherever, Hips Don't Lie, etc. It seems like she saves her best beats for her English songs. At the end of day, I don't have to like something just because it's in the native language.

If you wanted to do the hug emoji, couldn't you have edited out the other stuff if you saw me differently by reading the end of my paragraph?

I guess I just don't get your mental process. I grew up bilingual, both languages from day one. To me her lyrics sound so profound lol and I swear on my life I'm not even a Shakira stan, like that's not why I'm doing this. Anyone and everyone who is going to take the critiquing role should be well versed in the subject at hand. Beats and production is one thing, language and prose are on different lanes. But ok you're completely right, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

StrawberryBlond
12 hours ago, ECORONA said:

I guess I just don't get your mental process. I grew up bilingual, both languages from day one. To me her lyrics sound so profound lol and I swear on my life I'm not even a Shakira stan, like that's not why I'm doing this. Anyone and everyone who is going to take the critiquing role should be well versed in the subject at hand. Beats and production is one thing, language and prose are on different lanes. But ok you're completely right, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Well, if her lyrics do it for you, that's fine. But I think other artists are a lot more profound. While Shakira has her moments, I've found a lot of her work to be fairly basic lyrics. And I never said beats and production were the same as language and prose. When I talk about songs, I'm speaking in general, about the song as whole. And bad production can override good lyrics and turn  it into a bad song. I just said I do amateur reviewing, so there's no need to be completely serious and professional about it. Part of the reason why I never pursued it professionally is because there's so much paid-for reviewing that goes on in the business, which would explain why so many mediocre albums get great reviews. I don't want to be a part of that. I'm just real and review albums from a normal person's standpoint, not a pretentious critic. Albums are too expensive to trust the mind of a critic who's paid to be nice and is looking for stuff in a song that ordinary people aren't. I remember someone once said something like: "As a reviewer, shouldn't you be judging music from a technical standpoint?" and I'm said: "No, music isn't like maths or a science. To quantify it in such a way goes against the whole purpose of art. Music is all about how it makes you feel and there's no right and wrong way to interpret and judge it."

Archived