💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Kesha Accused of Cultural Appropriation

Lanius

Featured Posts

Neroneau
12 minutes ago, britneyspears said:

It really is a problem, despite what you may think.

Why is that someone like Miles Cyrus is praised for wearing dreadlocks, yet young black girls are literally being kicked out of their schools for having them? 

Then there's the issue of media sources exploring the use of Native American headdresses for financial gain. They have so much meaning for Native Americans, yet it's seemingly okay for them to be simply worn as a fashion statement and nothing more?

Globalization is not a problem, I welcome it with open arms. Nor is cultural appreciation, where people adopt from other cultures as a form of appreciation by understanding the significance of these things. The issue at heart is appropriation and exploitation - when people, generally white individuals, steal from another culture and:

a) fail to show a true understanding of the meaning of it;

b) exploit it to make money;

c) demean people of colour for doing the exact same. 

Here's a list of a few articles that you may find interesting, they explain my points in a slightly more coherent way:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/06/cultural-appropriation-wrong/

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/10/the-dos-and-donts-of-cultural-appropriation/411292/

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/05/defending-cultural-appropriation/

https://www.thoughtco.com/cultural-appropriation-and-why-iits-wrong-2834561

Get real sis, Miley being 'praised' for wearing dreadlocks is far-fetched and done by some no-life girls on twitter, and if a school kicks you out because of dreadlocks, well, its just a dumb school, i mean cmoon, getting kicked out for that? the school should be shamed not the girl.

Why always the anecdotal facts :duck: like that we can get away with anything

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
britneyspears
8 minutes ago, Neroneau said:

Get real sis, Miley being 'praised' for wearing dreadlocks is far-fetched and done by some no-life girls on twitter, and if a school kicks you out because of dreadlocks, well, its just a dumb school, i mean cmoon, getting kicked out for that? the school should be shamed not the girl.

Why always the anecdotal facts :duck: like that we can get away with anything

Actually, you are incorrect - a lot of media sources were praising her hair change:

http://www.eonline.com/news/687421/miley-cyrus-now-has-rainbow-dreads-who-wants-to-bet-her-unicorn-hair-will-pop-up-again-at-the-2015-mtv-vmas

http://hollywoodlife.com/2015/08/30/miley-cyrus-vma-hair-makeup-2015-mtv-video-music-awards/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3253819/Miley-Cyrus-turns-heads-unusual-smoke-printed-outfit-rainbow-dreadlocks-gears-host-SNL.html

And yet, when Zendaya did the same thing, presenter Giuliana Rancic said that she looks like she "smells like weed" on national TV!

I agree, the school should be shame and not the girl - but why is that dreadlocks are not allowed? What is the fear against natural black hair? 

BeerFear
2 hours ago, Alexander Levi said:

Gosh, it must be SO hard for you to stumble across someone complaining on the internet. 2017 is SO rough wahhh

:giggle:

I couldnt care less about these SJWs and their opinions believe me But it is still very frustrating how anyone may be accused of racism, cultural appropriation etc. for nearly anything.  

Dominic
4 hours ago, Fernster7 said:

This is so stupid and SJW are tragic af but omg I love the fact that the ones in this forum found a way to avoid the situation because it's Kesha, if it was another celebrity they would be writing their long ass paragraphs about this.:toofunny:

I don't think it'd just this forum. Cultural appropriation is such a grey area that people will pick and choose when to use it, usually when it plays to their agenda. A lot of other artists would have been crucified in this example. People are fickle :shrug:

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

yASSsss

What a load of bullshit :awkney:

Call me by your name and I'll call you by mine

Fernster7
1 hour ago, Dominic Marc said:

I don't think it'd just this forum. Cultural appropriation is such a grey area that people will pick and choose when to use it, usually when it plays to their agenda. A lot of other artists would have been crucified in this example. People are fickle :shrug:

That's why I can't take them seriously, it's just not right or fair. 

We have two selves. One the world needs us to be, compliant, and the shadow. Ignore it and life is forever suffering.

Sam Dey

are you ****ing kidding me

A lot of people who accuse people of culture appropriation seem to not know what it actually means

they're just looking for reasons to be bitter

lordmaler
3 hours ago, britneyspears said:

It really is a problem, despite what you may think.

Why is that someone like Miles Cyrus is praised for wearing dreadlocks, yet young black girls are literally being kicked out of their schools for having them? 

Because of the same reason as Beyonce. She is pop star and she can do what regular people can't.

And since you are at race, what do you think would they allow white girls to stay in schools dressed like this?

lady_gaga_meat_dress.jpg

Then there's the issue of media sources exploring the use of Native American headdresses for financial gain. They have so much meaning for Native Americans, yet it's seemingly okay for them to be simply worn as a fashion statement and nothing more?

And what about the kimonos and flower crowns which originally come from the Slavic folklore?

Screenshot-2014-09-06-12.19.27_1-1.png

*triggered and offended* 

Globalization is not a problem, I welcome it with open arms. Nor is cultural appreciation, where people adopt from other cultures as a form of appreciation by understanding the significance of these things. The issue at heart is appropriation and exploitation - when people, generally white individuals, steal from another culture and:

a) fail to show a true understanding of the meaning of it;

b) exploit it to make money;

c) demean people of colour for doing the exact same. 

Oh girl don't make me pull out pictures of successful people of color who are "using" other cultures for personal gain. Get your sh!t together.

The globalization is what you call cultular appropriation. It's the action of international intergration of products, ideas, views and other aspects of culture. Of course when you implement something you won't go that deep. Otherwise she would not wear this shirt with this flower crown

Screenshot-2014-09-06-12.19.27_1-1.png

but also wear whole outfit that goes with it

bulgarian-folk-dancers-23887940.jpg

Because if you don't do it right and don't know the background behind it, it's offensive right?

Every day feminism... stop believing these people they are poisoning your head with nonsenses. If you would step out from that bubble, you would see that outside America no one actually cares about it. People are not offended and they even like it because it shows that their culture is not fogotten and it's praised globally.

johnpe

Moschino uses the same font in their new collection but nobody said nothing

MAKE IT WORK

Anveeroy

Bangla is my mother language and I can say it's nothing inappropriate. 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Vergil
14 hours ago, Kenon Sings said:

People need better sh*t to do...this generation...SMH

this is why I'm starting to hate radical modern feminism and POC culture...and I'm a gay asian male myself

There is no "modern feminism". Just 4 or 5 stupid and very noisy people on social media.

AJH219

If only people were this outraged over real issues and not over a music video by a pop star. And folks wonder why no one takes any attempt at social justice seriously; inept fools like this. :awkney: 

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

Archived