Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Review Katy Perry's Witness

duckworth

Review/Rate Katy Perry's Witness  

395 members have voted

1. 1. How was the album?

• Good. Went over my expectations! (Blew my wig away!)
    • Meh.
    • Mess. WTF WAS KATHERYN DOING?!

Featured Posts

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a good album and it's better than Prism overall. I didn't get into any of the songs except Witness in the first listen but they're all really growing on me:giveup: Witness and Déja Vu are currently my faves (singles apart)

45 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

7.4/10

Fair:whitney:

Chic

Witness - 8/10
Hey Hey Hey - 5/10
Roulette - 7/10
Swish Swish - 5.5/10
Deja Vu - 7/10
Power - 7/10
Mind Maze - 3.5/10
Miss You More - 3/10
Chained To The Rhythm - 8/10
Tsunami - 4/10
Bon Appetit - 5/10
Bigger Than Me - 5/10
Save As Draft - 4.5/10
Pendulum - 6/10
Into Me You See - 5/10

Total: 5.4/10

Bonus:

Dance With The Devil - 6/10
Act My Age - 3/10

With Bonus Total: 5.3/10

My expectations are really high though. 9/10 tracks would be Daddy Lessons by Beyonce, You and I by Gaga, All That by Carly Rae Jepsen, etc. 10/10 tracks would be, say, Pendulum by FKA twigs, Love Drought by Beyonce, You Bring Me Joy by Amelia Lily, Valley of the dolls by Marina and the diamonds, Born To Die & Off To The Races by Lana, So Happy I Could Die by Gaga, etc.

Witness - 10/10
Hey Hey Hey - 6/10
Roulette - 10/10
Swish Swish - 7/10
Deja Vu - 8.5/10
Power - 9/10
Mind Maze - 4/10
Miss You More - 5/10
Chained To The Rhythm - 8/10
Tsunami - 8/10
Bon Appetit - 6.5/10
Bigger Than Me - 6/10
Save As Draft - 7.5/10
Pendulum - 8/10
Into Me You See - 7/10

Total 7.3/10

Witness - Pretty good!
Hey Hey Hey - Elementary level girl power stuff. Also annoying annoying chorus.
Roulette - The unreleased Fame outtake we deserved. smh @ Katy making a 2008-era Gaga throwback before Gaga.
Swish Swish - Wish it had more of the piano. But it's boppin' otherwise.
Deja Vu - Everyone loves it but it's so underwhelming to me. The chorus is so weak.
Power - This song is a mess and I love it for it. The weird drums in between sections. The sexy sax in the background of the chorus. Her voice actually sounds good for once, like you can see why in the beginning of her career people thought she was a good singer.
Mind Maze - ???/10 what the hell is this song. this is the musical representation of the album cover. I don't know how to feel about it.
Miss You More - Prism-ballad throwback.I could see this being a single... a few years ago.
Chained To The Rhythm - Vague song about fake news! Still a bop! And I still love Skip Marley's verse.
Tsunami - The instrumental is very cool, but the chorus melody is weak.
Bon Appetit - Ehhhhhhhh..... her vocals are so weak here. The song doesn't pick up until the second verse and final chorus, which is actually boppin'. Migos is unnecessary. 
Bigger Than Me - I like vaguely political Katy but the melody is forgettable.
Save As Draft - ONE OF THE BEST CHORUSES ON THIS ALBUM. I thought this would be a total cringe-fest but it was actually great.
Pendulum - Not bad, I like the gospel choir. But eh?
Into Me You See - I lost it at open sesame. The thought behind the song is nice, though. I wish someone would edit Katy's lyrics because they're not all bad, they're just really unpolished.

Overall: very uneven and unusual album, Katy is trying to branch out from her old schlock but hasn't upped her lyrical/vocal/melodic chops to go with it. If she actually works hard on becoming a better writer and performer, I think a Witness sequel could actually be her best album, or at least offer an alternative to Teenage Dream. Tepid thumbs up.

artpoprebellion

Witness - 8/10

Hey Hey Hey - 6/10

Roulette - 6/10

Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj) - 6/10

Deja Vu - 5/10

Power - 6/10

Mind Maze - 4/10

Miss You More - 6/10

Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) - 7/10

Tsunami - 5/10

Bon Apetit - 5/10

Bigger Than Me - 6/10

Save as Draft - 2/10

Pendulum - 4/10

Into Me You See - 3/10

53/100

Overall, this album was very disappointing. I wouldn't voluntarily put on any of these songs. Sorry.

Enigma

Catchy but forgettable.

Kinda like The Fame, but TF is more boppable, yet more cringy, and it's the other way around for Witness.

Spoiler

The promo though :giveup:

Spoiler

I'm livin for WitMESS :gum:

Mary Jane Wayne

CRINGEFEST Dear God, the production on this album is one hot mess. The lyrics are cringe too. Kinda like ARTPOP expect ARTPOP was....better. At least it had the best song of all times also known as Venus and also timeless bops like G.U.Y and the title track along with certified garbage like Swine and Donatella. Witness is a mess overall, there is not a single song expect for the masterpiece Save This Album that keeps me interested and its contributing to my headache. I don't want to be too harsh right now I'll give it another listen later maybe it will grow on me (hopefully not in the form of tumor) 

I love it, my favourite album she's put out.

Stand outs for me are: Witness, Hey Hey Hey, Roulette, Deja Vu and Mind Maze.

mpthecat

After not liking CTTR at first (I appreciate it now) and BA, I was prepared for the worst.

But her overall attitude, behavior and the chances she took (and she did take chances with her new looks and change compared to her more appealing past looks and music) changed my outlook on her. It's not the best album ever but it's also not as bad as many people have painted it to be. I listen to and like Witness, Deja Vu, Roulette, CTTR, Swish Swish and Into Me You See.

I'm surprised more people don't like Mind Maze, I think it's such a distinct song. Plus the lyrics and how she talks about the song in her therapy session really adds a tone of sadness and empathy.

Ahmad Samadi

Loving this album - Not a big Katy fan - this new Katy sounds is very sleek and sexy.  Totally does it for me.

Track #1 - Witness (9/10)
Piano Pop House -  

Track #2 - Hey Hey Hey (6/10)
Mess. Thought I'd like it as I loved Witness. Super disappointed with this. Just a filler song.

Track #3 - Roulette (10/10)
LOVE! the throwback to snaps rhythm is a dancer - the epics chorus beat drop! LOVE! 

Track #4 - Swish Swish (10/10)
Love! More of the 90's house doing it for me. 

Track #5 - Deja Vu (10/10)
This is single material!

Track #6 - Power (4/10)
I cant listen to this for some reason. 

Track #7 - Mind Maze (9/10)
Trop-pop auto-tune, sparse beats really gives me the feels - very atmospheric - sounds great!

Track #8 - Miss You More (7/10)
One of the first ballads on the album - Super catchy but not my fave - This sounds like standard Katy Perry.

Track #9 - Chained to the Rhythm (7/10)
Great track but just doesnt grab me.  I never want to put this on repeat. Its like one of those retro 2000's dance tracks.

Track #10 - Tsunami (10/10)
Sexy, slow - adding this one to my "steamy sessions" playlist - perfect!

Track #11 - Bon Appetit (9/10)
Love this track until the Migos part. 

Track #12 - Bigger than Me (9/10)
Bon Appetit's sister - Excellent chorus, catchy af trop-pop style.

Track #13 - Save as Draft (8/10)
My fave ballad on the album. 

Track #14 - Pendulum (9/10)
Her best vocals - the choir in the background - the 2000's retro dance sound is here too - great track!  Perfect Album closer.

Track #15 - Into Me You See (5/10)
Does nothing for me - and dont think this was the right closer.  Filler

Overall really impressed with this album - crisp sleek production - it may have been 3 songs too long.

HausOfHarlow

#1 Witness - A solid opener - the chorus is very catchy. I am a fan of the piano riffs in the chorus. I'm glad she did not make the first track a pre-release single. 8/10

#2 Hey Hey Hey - I like how the verses progress and I really enjoy the production. The lyrics on the other hand are a little dorky. I would call it filler material but it's not the worst. Couldn't she come up with a better title? 6/10

#3 Roulette - My favorite pop track from the record! I like the play on words of "roulette" and "roll it". I think the production and lyrics are fire. I'm hoping this will be a standalone single. 10/10

#4 Swish Swish (feat. Nicki Minaj) - I wasn't really a fan of the song at its release, any of its live performances, or the feature. Even though this was released as a single, I would go out on a limb and call this filler material with a rent-a-rapper. 5/10

#5 Dèjá Vu - It's a grower for me, but I think this is also going to be a favorite of mine, and has potential to be a single served to radio. The progression is unique from other songs on the record. 9/10

#6 Power - I love this track! The lyrics are hit or miss, but I love the overall vibe of this track. It's a little... what's the word... like I can really get into this song and chill to it as well. It's such a cool sounding production, and I appreciate the electronic drums introducing us to the verses and chorus. Speaking of, I love the vocal effect in the chorus! 9/10

#7 Mind Maze - Lyrics 4/10. Production 10/10. The lyrics and excessive unrealistic sounds of her vocals are not the best, but the production of the song / instrumental is absolutely incredible! For an average, I'll give this a 7/10. 

#8 Miss You More - I like ballad-Katy! She would do well making a ballad-centric album. The lyrics and production are catchy, and grip at your heart. I doubt she will perform this track live. 8/10

#9 Chained to the Rhythm (feat. Skip Marley) - I have always enjoyed this song and I think it makes for a good first single, when looking at other options on the album. I wish it would ave gone #1. 8/10

#10 Tsunami - This vibe - I love it! I also love the subtle detail of waves crashing/birds in the first 20 seconds of the track. The sexual vibe is subtle too, but is also clear. 9/10

#11 Bon Apetit - I can't. I have found a solo version without any features and have included it on my album, in place of the single version. The production is catchy, but the lyrics are so cringe-worthy that it completely detracts from the entire song. 1/10

#12 Bigger Than Me - Another grower, I really have been enjoying listening to it. The chorus and its production are very catchy. Could this be a single? 8/10

#13 Save as Draft - My favorite on the album! I know many of you were questioning the title of the track, but I find the lyrics, the power of the song, the story told, and the bridge of the song to be incredible! The lyrics are very relatable - something I have don't in a similar situation. I hope she tours with a performance of this track. 10/10

#14 Pendulum - A great closer to an album - especially right after a relatively sad track. Life comes around, like a pendulum! I really enjoy the positive and uplifting sound of the track, and the gospel ads a bit of flair. The sound is very "celebration" sounding. 9/10

Into Me You See - Oh, what's this? Another track? After what should have been the album's closer? I am not surprised - every album has ended with a slow ballad (I Think I'm Ready, Not Like the Movies, By The Grace of God) and now this. I do think that it sounds pretty, and when she is talking about staying open during the bridge is absolutely beautiful and heavenly. Still, I think Pendulum should be the proper album closer. 

I was never a fan of albums that alternate between slow songs and beat songs (One of the Boys is an incredible example, as is Push & Shove by No Doubt), so I may switch around this and Pendulum on my iTunes account - that way, Pendulum will be the last standard edition track. Anyways, the beautiful vocals and bridge warrants this track a 7/10.

Dance With the Devil - I was lucky enough to find an high quality download of this track, as my physical copy does not include the two additional bonus tracks. The production is unique and trap-y, and I really enjoy the chorus. I would have rather seen this on the standard edition in place of some other tracks. 8/10

Act My Age - I haven't listened to this track very often, as it took me a couple more days to find a good quality download. From the 2-3 times I have listened to it, it seems a little forgettable, and the lyrics a little cheap. The production also sounds like something Demi Lovato would have done on her first album. I do like how bold the lyrics "but who the f*** are they anyway" sounds. 4/10

Standout tracks: Witness, Roulette, Dèjá Vu, Power, Tsunami, Save As Draft, Pendulum

Filler Material: Hey Hey Hey, Swish Swish, Mind Maze, Bon Appetit, Act My Age 

chrismugler

It's an experimental record with great production. The record is far from being a "Purposeful Pop" album as she stated before, the lyrics makes me cringe several times but I must applaud Katy Perry to deliver her most daring album to date.

SCORE: 7.3/10

Spoiler

1. Witness: 8/10

2. Hey Hey Hey: 5.5/10

3. Roulette: 10/10

4. Swish Swish: 9/10

5. Déjà  Vu: 8/10

6. Power: 5.5/10 ("I'm my mother's daughter":sure:... The Chrous saves the song )

7. Mind Maze: 5/10

8. Miss you More: 5/10 (The lyrics are incoherent imo)

9.  Chained to the Rhythm: 9/10 

10.  Tsunami: 8/10

11. Bon Appetit: 6/10 (The solo version it's 8/10 for me)

12. Bigger than Me: 6/10

13. Save as Draft: 8/10 (Dumb title, but beautiful production)

14. Pendulum: 9/10

15. Into Me You See: 8/10

Songs with potential to become a single:

*Roulette

*Déjà  Vu

*Pendulum

*Into Me You See

B.B.A. / Music Lover / Human.

Archived