Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Ed Sheeran perfect Critique

Robagaga

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I love Todd's reviews, he's so intelligent with his critique. Even when I don't agree with him (and these days, I rarely do), he always provides entertainment and insight and he's said himself that that's all his aims to do. As long as people are entertained either way, he's happy.

I think he really covered the problems with the song very well. I only wish he had covered the really big elephant in the room - the objectification of women in the song. Todd's always been very good at delving into that kind of thing and he's clearly very with it when it comes to feminist theory. He really hates it when guys patronise girls in their songs (see his review of Treat You Better for a whole review based around that idea) so I really thought he'd give Ed no mercy for this one. But was a bit disappointed to see that he didn't bring it up at all. But other than that, he's got it down well. I think ultimately, though, he's not totally got to grips with the concept of how women can be attracted much more to personality than looks. That's why someone like Ed can be successful with a sex song and have surprising heartthrob status (seriously, there are a lot of girls out there who find him cute and even sexy, even in a 'weird crush' kinda way, especially British girls). Women can be turned on by so much more than looks whereas men tend to operate on 'if she's not hot, I'm not interested.' Women can swoon over voices and songs because we're very audio-centered when it comes to being turned on (I'm the prime example of that). So, a guy singing a song directed at a female listener about how she's a great date and great in bed? Girls will love that. Not all of us, but still a lot.

As for the rest of the questions, I think the song's mediocre, not much else to say. I don't think it's as bad as some members of GGD are making it out to be but its problems are still huge, mostly in that it's all a bit boring and just not suiting Ed's style. As for what deserves to be at #1 right now, Lana Del Rey's Love. I can't think of anything else right now. The charts have been tragic for months now. Can't wait until the better artists start coming up later in the year.

2 hours ago, Werk said:

I'm not interested in Ed and Bruno right now. I thought they were all humble but now they're singing about being rich, f*cking b*tches, and yack ack ack. I'm honestly so over it so next please :madge: 

Reveal hidden contents

I believe "I like" is a bop though :lolly: 

That's what I've been saying. I mean, I was never a Bruno fan but if I was, I'd be really put out with the music he's making now. Let's look at his debut single, Just The Way You Are, with 24K Magic. Where's the sweet guy who told me I was beautiful and there wasn't a thing he wouldn't change? Now he's calling me a bitch (a badass one, but still) and telling me I've got "ugly ass friends!" I mean, isn't no one offended by this? Because I seem to be the only one. Maybe that's why the single wasn't the big hit it was envisaged to be, but who knows? The only song I've liked from Bruno this era is Versace On The Floor because he's being complimentary and genuine, he sounds like the kind of guy that you'd want to be intimate with. But when he's not doing that, he's just bragging about money and sex and objectifies the hell out of the girls in question.

Werk
3 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

That's what I've been saying. I mean, I was never a Bruno fan but if I was, I'd be really put out with the music he's making now. Let's look at his debut single, Just The Way You Are, with 24K Magic. Where's the sweet guy who told me I was beautiful and there wasn't a thing he wouldn't change? Now he's calling me a bitch (a badass one, but still) and telling me I've got "ugly ass friends!" I mean, isn't no one offended by this? Because I seem to be the only one. Maybe that's why the single wasn't the big hit it was envisaged to be, but who knows? The only song I've liked from Bruno this era is Versace On The Floor because he's being complimentary and genuine, he sounds like the kind of guy that you'd want to be intimate with. But when he's not doing that, he's just bragging about money and sex and objectifies the hell out of the girls in question.

Agree so that's why when 24k Magic (the music video as well) came out I hated on it like crazy :trollga:.

Also is "I'm in love with your body" suppose to make woman feel good about themselves because I'm not feeling that from the hook :oprah: 

StrawberryBlond
6 minutes ago, Werk said:

Agree so that's why when 24k Magic (the music video as well) came out I hated on it like crazy :trollga:

The wiggling booties followed with Bruno's face grinning in a sleazy way and sipping on champagne, as gif-worthy as the moment is, is just such a sell-out. That video is a world away from what he used to make. Fame and money has really gone to his head. Uptown Funk was great and all but it changed him. He fell in love with this pimp aesthetic and can't shift it now. Post-Uptown Funk, the underperformance of his new era must be getting to him. He thought he could go away for 4 years and come back with a 9 track album barely clocking in at a half hour and have major success with it? He thought wrong!

Werk
Just now, StrawberryBlond said:

The wiggling booties followed with Bruno's face grinning in a sleazy way and sipping on champagne, as gif-worthy as the moment is, is just such a sell-out. That video is a world away from what he used to make. Fame and money has really gone to his head. Uptown Funk was great and all but it changed him. He fell in love with this pimp aesthetic and can't shift it now. Post-Uptown Funk, the underperformance of his new era must be getting to him. He thought he could go away for 4 years and come back with a 9 track album barely clocking in at a half hour and have major success with it? He thought wrong!

What I've been thinking all along TAr7O0i.gif

Archived