Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Why Are Artists Not Lasting? When We Get Another Icon/Ellite

Economy

Featured Posts

The Fame Joanne
Just now, Born To Slay said:

She emerged in 2013, u were right the first time. In 2013 she released her debut single, The Way, which went 3x platinum and she got her first number one album, Yours Truly. 

Both, album and single were almost only successful in the US and didn't even chart at all in my country. Problem was her first true hit, so I choose 2014

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MonsterPaws
38 minutes ago, M Monstre said:

Would The Weeknd be considered an "elite" or "icon" though? I mean, he's very popular, but I don't know, I just don't see him in that category with everyone else you mentioned. 

I agree.

I feel like he's really closing in on that status though, so maybe very very soon. His name seems very "off" among the list, but I still think OP is really on point with these lasting artists. 

Everyone else seems to just fade away (Meghan, Iggy even Nicki tbh although I have hope for her hitting lasting status too).

The Child
1 minute ago, Born To Slay said:

I don't really care what male artists do personally, I love the pop girls. I don't know if I could Stan a guy.

I could totally stan a male artist, I could have stanned for The Weeknd but he's not exciting enough. Shawn Mendes' music is not my cup of tea and he's way too lazy when it comes to mvs and performances. We really need a new MJ. :saladga:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

Mister Gaga

Her discography is critically acclaimed. She isn't missing anything to be a main pop girl. 

sis. i know. but she's not, as much as we want to. she's above demi and selena, but she's not a main pop girl, not yet. 

we haven't seen her shake/dominate pop music since Problem. I repeat, she needs a final push; and it's not enough to have a hit. She needs a pop event situation, like BR/BTW or Katy's TD era.

The Child
Just now, The Fame Joanne said:

Both, album and single were almost only successful in the US and didn't even chart at all in my country. Problem was her first true hit, so I choose 2014

Problem was really her first true hit, it was everywhere.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

PartySick

I don't really care what male artists do personally, I love the pop girls. I don't know if I could Stan a guy.

Yeah, males in pop music seem to have less creative wiggle room which makes them a bit on the boring side imo. There's such limited fashion they can wear and they always have to either act masculine or romantically sensitive :sweat: The women, however, can do whatever they want.

I mean, could you imagine a male pop star attending an awards show wearing a meat tux? Or a guy singing a song about rape while another guy puked on him? Or a guy cross dressing (flawlessly) and performing? :sweat:

OT: Like someone else said, we're over saturated with new music and new artists these days. No one sticks 'cause it's hard as hell to make an actual impact unless you've already established your fandom.

🖤

Born To Slay
Just now, PartySick said:

Yeah, males in pop music seem to have less creative wiggle room which makes them a bit on the boring side imo. There's such limited fashion they can wear and they always have to either act masculine or romantically sensitive  The women, however, can do whatever they want.

I mean, could you imagine a male pop star attending an awards show wearing a meat tux? Or a guy singing a song about rape while another guy puked on him? Or a guy cross dressing (flawlessly) and performing?

OT: Like someone else said, we're over saturated with new music and new artists these days. No one sticks 'cause it's hard as hell to make an actual impact unless you've already established your fandom.

If a guy did those things, I'd totally Stan him. 

The Child

I have a feeling that the next wave of young pop singers will last cause they will have already mastered streaming & social networks (like Gaga did with Twitter).

sipthistea

'Cause they are not artists, they are products designed by Nickelodeon and Disney. They are molded by their labels and they often work with the same producers. 

I'm not saying they are not talented. But they are people who are manipulated to make hits and make many people rich. 

Spoiler

btw. JB and Drake are NOT ellite :reductive:

The Child
5 minutes ago, PartySick said:

Yeah, males in pop music seem to have less creative wiggle room which makes them a bit on the boring side imo. There's such limited fashion they can wear and they always have to either act masculine or romantically sensitive :sweat: The women, however, can do whatever they want.

I mean, could you imagine a male pop star attending an awards show wearing a meat tux? Or a guy singing a song about rape while another guy puked on him? Or a guy cross dressing (flawlessly) and performing? :sweat:

But Prince, MJ, David Bowie, George Michael, Freddy Mercury (I know they're not all pop but they were mainstream back then) all did that, they all pushed the boundaries of fashion for males and they all were confident and strong enough to not either play the over masculine or romantically sensitive artist. Our generation misses that, we need male artists like that. How come our generation who has been really outspoken about LGBT rights has literally no famous gay or bi pop male singer as? (Sam Smith & Adam Lambert don't count lol)

PartySick
2 minutes ago, MonsterPaws said:

even Nicki tbh although I have hope for her hitting lasting status too

Idk why but I don't really see this happening. From the outside looking in, it seems that she's reserved herself to being a rent-a-rapper. The last time I even heard her name was when people here were discussing C2C outselling one of her albums and how her features got her to be the 13th most successful rapper in history or something.

Spoiler

Not to offend her fans or anything, I'm just being unusually blunt and kind of rude today. Excuse my mess :sweat:

I think if she just went for pop instead of putting out pop songs dressed as hip-hop and rap she'd go farther :shrug:

5 minutes ago, CrazyMonster said:

We really need a new MJ. :saladga:

You're on the fansite of the true MJ 2.0 :whitney:

Spoiler

She's not a male but as long as men are confined by these industry standards to be cookie-cutter/carbon copies of "bad boys" and "lovers" putting out the same songs over and over again in slightly different ways, she's the closest we're going to get :rip:

🖤

Born To Slay
5 minutes ago, The Fame Joanne said:

She won best new artist at the 2013 AMAs for her success that year. Yours Truly, in addition to topping the American chart, also went top 5 in Japan and Canada and top 10 in Australia and Great Britain. It was a commercially successful album era. 

The Child
Just now, PartySick said:

Idk why but I don't really see this happening. From the outside looking in, it seems that she's reserved herself to being a rent-a-rapper. The last time I even heard her name was when people here were discussing C2C outselling one of her albums and how her features got her to be the 13th most successful rapper in history or something.

Hide contents

Not to offend her fans or anything, I'm just being unusually blunt and kind of rude today. Excuse my mess :sweat:

I think if she just went for pop instead of putting out pop songs dressed as hip-hop and rap she'd go farther :shrug:

You're on the fansite of the true MJ 2.0 :whitney:

Hide contents

She's not a male but as long as men are confined by these industry standards to be cookie-cutter/carbon copies of "bad boys" and "lovers" putting out the same songs over and over again in slightly different ways, she's the closest we're going to get :rip:

Lady Gaga is on a whole another level, she's on her own league.

holy scheisse

Praying for Ariana to have staying power... Idk why this is the case. Ive read research that basically says as we become more involved w technology, we are taking in so much information everyday and our attention spans are diminishing cause there is just so much stimuli we are shifting between. This is why people prefer small bulleted lists, or videos with captions, or tweets and fb posts rather than long in-depth articles or books that require linear, long term focus.   maybe that's it? We just get bored easier now 

The Child

She won best new artist at the 2013 AMAs for her success that year. Yours Truly, in addition to topping the American chart, also went top 5 in Japan and Canada and top 10 in Australia and Great Britain. It was a commercially successful album era. 

Yeah but no one remembers it, I never heard that album nor the singles, I only started focusing on her when she released Problem (so did the rest of the world).

Archived