Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

CTTR vs MR Fan Double Standards?

Economy

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Seashell Hooker said:

She kind of did though. Gaga's statement about the meaning behind Perfect Illusion was how we filter our lives on Instagram. Katy's CTTR is about living in bubbles and distortions......

I'm just saying, she can't think for herself. She entire career is based off of other peoples work. 

She based her song on a similar concept but in a different way.  It's not like she re did PI lol

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

If Katy were an indie artist, this song would be considered a good hit. But she's not, she's a worldwide superstar, who has multiple #1 singles, millions of overall sales, millions in touring sales, a permanent fixture on radio whenever she releases. With all that preceding her, this single should be doing so much better right now. Her last era was successful, she had 2 massive hits last era (the videos are even more massive), the tour she did with it was her most successful yet, radio has always supported her, she's just come back from a long break, she has a Spotify deal, this is a lead single, it's written by Max Martin and Sia. This song should have smashed by default with all that riding on it. It was made for the charts. We see it all the time - singers with sub-par lead singles getting a hit because of name recognition. Good or bad music, this is a Katy Perry lead single co-written by Max Martin and Sia. That should be chart gold. And it isn't.

So, in comparison, Gaga seems to have the upper hand. She just went top 5 with a second single that was a ballad, that didn't have generic songwriters co-writing it, months after release. That is amazing for an artist who's fallen out of chart favour as much as Gaga has. Remember that Katy's ballads have never been huge unless they've come from a big hit era like TD. That's why she rarely releases ballads. This is Gaga's first ever ballad released as a single and it's doing better than the average Katy Perry ballad and is currently out-performing Katy's lead single. After everything Gaga's been through, I think we're entitled to a bit of gloating. Sure, MR isn't a smash, it's a moderate hit, nowhere near the level of Pokerface, Bad Romance, etc. but its Gaga's first decent hit in a while amist a whole bunch of struggling popstars into the bargain. Forgive us indulging in a bit of smugness for a moment.

1 hour ago, Economy said:

im debating results and whether its a hit or not and people keep bringing up the technicalities of how it was promoted instead :huh:

This is relevant though because radio and streaming services supporting a song is a big part of what makes a song a hit. If your lead single underperforms, it's usually because radio didn't support it. But Katy's song is underperforming in spite of radio supporting it. This is extremely unusual for her. In fact, this has never happened to her. The only time Katy's singles have flopped (Thinking Of You, Unconditionally, Birthday, This Is How We Do) is when radio didn't support them. Katy with radio support was always unstoppable until now. What we're saying is that radio support isn't enough to guarantee success for her anymore. That is a big deal for Katy who has never experienced a flop lead single and certainly not in spite of radio support. It's all about standards. By Katy's standards, this lead single is a flop thus far. It's in its early days so at the moment, it's merely in the underperformance category, but if it doesn't start picking up in the next few weeks, it'll be downgraded to flop.

32 minutes ago, Economy said:

As for sales again, Katys casual fan base doesnt strike me as the kind of demographic that buys singles anymore. That could be a big explanation too

Katy's fanbase has been anything but casual. Her singles have always sold immensly well with only a handful of exceptions. Especially in the US, she's a singles monster over there. You don't get 6 #1's and 2 top 10's from one album with a casual fanbase. All her lead singles (including Part of Me) went to #1 in the UK until now. I'm questioning where her loyal fanbase has gone if #7 is the best they can give her. Just because her fanbase has not shown their support for this single quite as strongly doesn't mean that they're casual. They're just not feeling this song. Considering that they've supported every lead single that came before it without question, this is worrying.

Whispering
34 minutes ago, Admin said:

Single sales are dead/dying. People that are hearing it on radio go and stream the song.

That's an excuse. People are and have bought other songs. Other songs aren't struggling to stay in the top five or ten, despite their streaming numbers. 

Yes, the top spot gets less numbers now, but it is still the top spot. Katy isn't the only one looking at smaller numbers, every artist is. She is, however, underperforming with her debut single. 

5 minutes ago, Seashell Hooker said:

She kind of did though. Gaga's statement about the meaning behind Perfect Illusion was how we filter our lives on Instagram. Katy's CTTR is about living in bubbles and distortions......

I'm just saying, she can't think for herself. She entire career is based off of other peoples work. 

IDK.  I look at things differently than most music fans.   Katy brings joy to many people through her music and she's a nice person, and that matters a lot.

I live outside the space time continuum.

I mean I think it's all because of payola which is so irritating. It's like radio trying to tell people what to listen to it's kinda creepy isn't it. And it perform's worse than applause. I remember back in 2013 Roar was locked on no.1 for long time and Applause was second fluctuating in range of 0.300 to 0.700. Radio was behaving the same that time which was justified but this time around it just seems unfair, ok a radio deal for few days happens but this is too much.

Seashell Hooker
9 minutes ago, petedagrk said:

She based her song on a similar concept but in a different way.  It's not like she re did PI lol

If people can bash Gaga with BTW and Express Yourself comparisons, Katy can receive the same criticism. I'm sick of Katy not getting called out. 

Aphrodite Lady ~ Seashell Bikini

8 minutes ago, Whispering said:

That's an excuse. People are and have bought other songs. Other songs aren't struggling to stay in the top five or ten, despite their streaming numbers. 

CTTR isn't struggling either, it's been Top 10 every day since its release.

Alien Tulip

It's just funny because Katy Perry fans were bragging about how the lead single will for sure go number one itunes and debut number one on the billboard hot 100 and it didn't lol. 

4 minutes ago, Admin said:

Poor Monsters lots of them wish PI performed as good as CTTR first week :rip: 

Alien Tulip

besides Troy is part of Spotify so there's not really a double standard here since there are issues with her and spotify. Some members here call ARTPOP and Perfect Illusion "flops" so why can't they also call other artists "flops" too? I'm not sure why Katy Perry deserves special treatment or respect on this site when some people here bash Gaga and other artists like Britney, Beyonce and Rihanna. I've had my fair share too but I just dont get why we have to put on our suit and ties whenever we talk about katy perry. I got several warning points last week for calling Katy a bitch yet people here are free to call Gaga lazy, boring and not lack of promo. Do those people get warning points too? 

This is ridiculous.  The masses will stream/buy whatever they want.  That's why the have those options  If they don't want to stream MR/CTTR or either/or does it matter.  MR already peaked at #4 and that is good.  People need to stop focusing so much on sales and charts and just enjoy the music.  The more you discuss how good/bad things do, the less u enjoy them.

Whispering
12 minutes ago, Admin said:

It's underperforming for the amount of radio play it is getting and the fact that it is a debut single from KP...written by Sia and produced by Martin and debuted on The Grammys. 

It's not struggling, but the general interest (given all the factors) is surprising. 

Whispering
21 minutes ago, Seashell Hooker said:

If people can bash Gaga with BTW and Express Yourself comparisons, Katy can receive the same criticism. I'm sick of Katy not getting called out. 

Exactly this! If that copy thread was opened about Taylor, Beyonce or even Gaga, it would still be open. There is a double standard, but around here it favors Katy. 

Economy
3 hours ago, Whispering said:

Katy's casual fan base is the same that made Roar go to number one and sit there for weeks. Maybe they just don't care much for this single, or have moved on to other pop artists. 

You are making excuses. This debut single is surprisingly underperforming right now, when considering all factors and expectations. It might pick up, it might not. If it doesn't, radio will kiss her ass on the second, third and fourth single. 

Just be happy your fave isn't Gaga, because hundreds of articles would be written by now about "what a flop" this song was. As usual, the media and music industry is kissing Katy's ass and giving her a pass. You should be grateful! (Instead of worrying about a couple of dozen people on a fanforum) 

Im not making excuses. Roar was years ago. Even younger demographics bought more music back then. Silly comparison

And i never said it wasnt a smaller hit than some of her past work so far. What ive been saying is its hardly the flop some are implying

Lastly who said my fac isnt Gaga? Now ur making up crap u dont know

Archived