💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

References in Lady Gaga's music

Oivind

Featured Posts

migamiga

I've been wanting to post this for awhile:

I had an epiphany about both of these references within the last year. It's just my interpretation, but I think there's a possibility Gaga referenced (or was influenced) by these works

1. The Fame album cover gives a nod 2000 Cameron Crow film Almost Famous

the-fame.jpg

Almost_famous_poster1.jpg

2. "Papparazzi" music video references the 1962 psychological thriller What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?

We're all familiar with the plot line of the Paparazzi video- Gaga is a huge star, falls in love with a man who uses her for fame, and then tosses her aside (literally). As she takes time to recover, she has become irrelevant and a new "it girl" has replaced her. Desperate to retake her place in the spotlight, she poisons her boyfriend and openly admits to the crime as it brings her new found fame. She is the talk of the town again and she soaks in the spotlight.

In What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Jane was a vaudevillian child star. She overshadowed her sister Blanche, who eventually became the bigger star as they grew up. This caused Jane to be an alcoholic as she couldn't handle being a flop. One night, the sister went to a party and a car crash caused Blanche to be paralyzed from the waist down. Both do not remember what happened that night. Now Jane attends to Blanche and keeps her captive in their house. She repeatedly taunts Blanche (i.e. serving her a dead rat for dinner) as her mental health spirals. The maid, who has empathized with Blanche's situation tries to help her. Eventually, Jane kills the maid and the cousin of the maid sends out a missing report. When Jane discovers this, she takes Blanche and flees to the beach. At the beach, Blanche reveals she was the one who tried to kill Jane the night of the accident. Shortly afterwards, the police arrive to arrest Jane- which causes a scene at the waterfront. As the police interrogate her, she notices the crowd staring at her, reminding her of her golden days. She uses this opportunity to perform her old song and dance and waltzes around in delusion.

Spoiler

I also find it really similar to No Doubt's "It's My Life" video

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Luxe Ford

Kenny Kenny says...

kennykenny_2.jpg

...reductive. Look it up!

What happens in Luxe Ford stays in Luxe Ford

i live whenever she references her own songs in other songs. i love how they're each like a chapter in a story & for me its fun to put it all together on my own playlists etc. :giveup:

i know i wasn't talking exactly about outside references like OP. sry.

12 minutes ago, buddh1sm said:

i live whenever she references her own songs in other songs. i love how they're each like a chapter in a story & for me its fun to put it all together on my own playlists etc. :giveup:

No problem, I love those references too. :)

BeyerJ

Sexxx Dreams references George Orwell's 1984 with the lyric

"We could be caught. We're both convicted criminals of thought."

1984 is a book where "thoughtcrimes" are a thing

Wow, thanks for all the replies so far, fellow stans. :) So many references I was not aware of at all.

The Child

OMG I can't like all your posts guys I'm so sad because all of these references are amazing. Only makes my love for Gaga, for her artistry and for her as an artist much more stronger.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

The Child

Her most famous reference

anigif_original-grid-image-17864-1373488

To David Bowie (well here as Ziggy Stardust)

david-bowie-001.jpeg

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

NewUsername

Does

Work your blond (Jean) Benet Ramsey
We'll haunt like Liberace
Find your freedom in the music
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick
You will never fall apart
Diana, you're still in our hearts

count?

Also, the fame monster wig is said to be a reference to the movie Metropolis. and her general futuristic aesthetic also...

"Made in Germany during the Weimar Period, Metropolis is set in a futuristic urban dystopia and follows the attempts of Freder, the wealthy son of the city's ruler, and Maria, a poor worker, to overcome the vast gulf separating the classes of their city. Filming took place in 1925 at a cost of approximately five million Reichsmarks.[3] The art direction draws influence from Bauhaus, Cubist and Futurist design.[4]" - Wiki

See also this photoshoot:

ladygaga-metropolis1.jpg

Cailleach
44 minutes ago, buddh1sm said:

Me too! Some examples:

the "Just Dance" in a line in "Monster"

the re-used line from "Earthquake" in "Black Jesus+Amen Fashion"

The way she constantly says "Born This Way" through out the album

In Gypsy, she says "I don't speak German, but I try" a reference to scheiße

How she also says "ARTPOP" through out the album

And, I don't know if she did this on purpose, but she talks about love in at least one song in each album that connects, I don't remember all of the examples but the two I do remember are in Venus, she says "could this be love?" And in Perfect Illusion, she says "It wasn't love". I wish there were no self-references in Joanne. :toofunny:

That's not very born this way of you

MEDONER

The infamous line in Boys, Boys, Boys is actually a reference to Beatles' very early version of Yesterday.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/10/paul-mccartneys-yesterday/

"The original title was actually “Scrambled Eggs.” Paul’s original lyrics were, “Scrambled eggs, Oh you’ve got such lovely legs, Scrambled eggs. Oh, my baby, how I love your legs.”

Oriane

I think the scene where she falls in Paparazzi is a reference to Vertigo.

Poker Face - Hold'em Texas

I like it rough - I wonder if "Cause it's a hard life" is a reference to Queen's song "It's a hard life".

Paper Gangsta - "Sometimes I felt so Def in the Jam" -> Def Jam

Government Hooker - Reference to the relationship between Kennedy and Marilyn Monroe

Americano - "If you love me we can marry on the West Coast / On a Wednesday, en un verano, en Agosto" I had to read an analysis to understand all the subtexts in this song, I learnt that at the time, the West Coast was the region in the USA where gay marriages were the most authorized. And I don't remember exactly but apparently, there was a law signed on a Wednesday in August for gay rights, I have to look it up to know what it was exactly.

The multiple mythology references in ARTPOP : Venus, Himeros, Medusa, Apollo...

Venus : "Mercury, Venus uh ah" -> I wonder if this is a reference to Freddie Mercury, implying she's kind of her female version.

Dope : "Up heaven's stairway to gold" -> It always makes me think of "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin, I don't know if it was made on purpose.

Gypsy : "Like Dorothy on a yellow brick / Hope my ruby shoes get us there quick" -> Reference to The Wizard of Oz.

Applause : Reference to Koons.

John Wayne : "He laughs running through the red lights" -> Maybe a reference to prostitution (prostitutes have red lights they turn on if they are "busy").

I'm going to list all the references I can find in Applause MV.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

Archived