Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
opinion

Would Any Songs From Joanne Work As Crossover Singles?

VenusBlackStar

Featured Posts

VenusBlackStar

With Gaga really bringing out some more of her rock and country-tinged roots on Joanne, is there potential for her to do reasonably well on other genre charts? Would "Million Reasons" be a welcome fit on country radio alongside Kelsea Ballerini and Carrie Underwood ballads? What about the folksy "Joanne," the slightly Shania Twain-esque "A-YO" or "Diamond Heart," or even the moody storyteller account that is "Sinner's Prayer?"

Some singers in the past have successfully enjoyed some crossover success, like Shania Twain and Faith Hill. And more recently Taylor Swift, whose brand of country always had some pop in it even before 1989 pushed her all the way into pop world. I personally think "Million Reasons" would do pretty well on country radio, same with "A-YO" and "Joanne" at least. Though it should be noted that the three singers I used as examples of crossover success technically crossed over from country to pop, and not the other way around.

What about with other radio genres? Would the edginess of "Diamond Heart" or "John Wayne" be enough to sneak her onto rock radio somewhere? Maybe alternative rock or a more general all-encompassing light rock station? "The Edge of Glory" seems to be a staple in the rotation of my local non-top 40 mixed genre stations. And the alt rock stations I listen to seem pretty open to a variety of sounds, from the hard-hitting punk pop from Green Day's new album, to the pseudo-retro-sound of Walk the Moon and the 1975, to the hip hop and reggae coloring 21 Pilots does, to the cool electronic sh!t that Muse does, etc. I know that these are all bands, but Marilyn Manson is on there too, even though technically he has a band but he's seen primarily as a solo act. I wonder how "Perfect Illusion" would have done if Gaga tried to throw it out on alt rock stations.

Annnddd the biggest stretch of all: would "Hey Girl" be welcomed on R&B radio, with it's funky, Prince-like synths and dreamy atmosphere?

I know a lot of this could be a stretch, so don't none of y'all be coming at me with the typical sassy bullsh!t y'all love to use. It's just a thought that crossed my mind because if Gaga is moving into a sound that integrates multiple genres and styles then eventually putting singles on other radio stations and charts could be something smart somewhere down the road.

Poissonche

The songs you mentioned would most definitely fit with the other songs of those radio stations (except maybe John Wayne and Hey Girl, not sure about those two), but because it's by Lady Gaga, they wouldn't play them, for no other reason than "it's by Lady Gaga", which is pretty frustrating.

Maleficent

I don't know about crossing over, but Angel Down will become a huge part of Gaga's legacy if released. Perhaps not immediately, but it will be for her what Imagine is for John Lennon. I could see in work on Alternative, or more classical stations. 

Dorothy Gale
8 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

I don't know about crossing over, but Angel Down will become a huge part of Gaga's legacy if released. Perhaps not immediately, but it will be for her what Imagine is for John Lennon. I could see in work on Alternative, or more classical stations. 

I don't see Angel Down having a huge lasting legacy. Imagine was more radio friendly in the time of its release than Angel Down. 

ElectricAlley

I think she could possibly cross over to the alternative stations, but that's about it. She would stick out of country rotation like a soar thumb.

Anveeroy

Rihanna's stay was a huge hit. So Angel Down will be.. It needs to be a single! 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Panchecco

I agree with you... Joanne has so much potential and the sound/vibe of the songs is very different from what she has done so far (maybe except DIC, AD and JAD)...

Hey Girl has BBC Radio 1 and 2 vibes! I think that would translate well on British and European radio.

Archived