question

How do you explain album vs singles success?

Quark

Featured Posts

o<(0_0)>o

How do you explain the fact that Gaga is a very successful album artist but lately not a very successful singles artists (specially compared to other artists)?

Andrew2512

Well selling albums is better than selling singles , but here is the reason , the general public might not like Gaga's singles but they know that she's a versatile artist with amazing vocals so they buy the album to listen to different genres on it and enjoy her strong vocals , plus singles are not successful by sales nowadays you can listen to the song on multiple apps like Spotify ..etc.. and Gaga is not so powerful when it comes to streaming for example after nearly a year for Rihanna's Anti it didn't sell 1 million copies and Joanne outsold her in 2 months even tho Rihanna got 2 hits but how did Needed Me reached no.7 when it hadn't surpasse 1 million copies of sales , STREAMING.

JustAnotherDay

Most of Joanne isn't the type of music that is usually played on radio but it is still very good and many people like it so they buy the whole album

was NickARTPOP

SpookyKid

Well, speaking for myself, when I discover an artist I pay more attention to the albums as a whole instead of picking up songs

Life has a hopeful undertone |-/

MaryJaneHolland

She's still a single artist tho :toofunny: It's just that Joanne is not really appealing to the masses.

Is she an album artist? No, I'd say. She has sold ~750k so far, but, hey Beyonce opened with that much. That's what I call 'album artist' :emma: Also Drake and The Weeknd.

sipthistea

'Cause at this point, she has a dedicated fanbase. 

Yet many fans didn't like ARTPOP and Joanne, both of them had solid sales (not as masive, but pretty solid) 

5 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

She's still a single artist tho :toofunny: It's just that Joanne is not really appealing to the masses.

Is she an album artist? No, I'd say. She has sold ~750k so far, but, hey Beyonce opened with that much. That's what I call 'album artist' :emma: Also Drake and The Weeknd.

You have a flawed logic. Just because she is not selling as much as the top selling artists it doesn't meant that she is not among the top selling album artists. She is in fact very successful with her albums for the time that they are  released. And clearly she is not selling singles very well latetly so she is not a singles artists. At least not right now.

I think there are people that stan songs and people that stan artists. Gaga doesn't always create or release conventional pop music so people don't look at her for good singles but she's an artist that has a lot of stans and they'd rather buy her body of work (album).

I wouldn't buy a Calvin Harris album but I know his singles are a bop and i'll look out for them. Someone like Katy Perry can produce both, she has fans that stan her so hard and thus buy into her albums but also the GP knows she creates conventional pop music that they can bop to so they look out for her singles. 

This isn't even bad for Gaga, people know she's around and they know she's talented and releases good music they just don't want to play her single on repeat. 

MaryJaneHolland
Just now, Enigma said:

You have a flawed logic. Just because she is not selling as much as the top selling artists it doesn't meant that she is not among the top selling album artists. She is in fact very successful with her album for the time that she releases. And clearly she is not selling singles very well latetly so she is not a singles artists. At least not right now.

could be, idk.... 

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Well she doesn't have much success in albums either. esspecially considering streaming

Sales>Streaming

MaryJaneHolland
Just now, Enigma said:

Sales>Streaming

the tables have turned

it's streaming what keeps the longevity 

1 minute ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

the tables have turned

Streaming is getting bigger, but they still have a smaller value than sales. When people buy your full album it means that they really have confidence in the artist and the music. That is why it takes so many streams to count as one album sale.

3 minutes ago, MaryJaneHolland said:

the tables have turned

God, that's depressing 

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived