Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Is Joanne Desperation for or Rejection of Popular Success?

ReidOne

Featured Posts

Delulu Rogers

i thought ARTPOP was suppose to be her way of rejecting commercial success and stuff despite her becoming really depressed when it didn't do well

HOTNebraskaGuy

Why does everyone have to be so extra. If you want to be a detective get a job in the field and stop spending time on a Gaga forum. 

She makes music she wants to make. There's no "I forced myself to do this so I can ______" stuff you guys keep trying to push as her motive. 

One, five, ten lay a million on me

ReidOne
7 minutes ago, Skai Jackson said:

Please don't attack me, as I'm not looking to start a flame war, but just wanted to offer an alternative perspective in our exploration of her "intentions" with this release.

it sucks that you have to say that.

I know :( :hug:

Edonis
4 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

I think her musical interests at the moment lie much closer to those "indie" artists you mention than what is currently playing on pop radio.  I mean it's not a secret for anyone following Gaga's entire career how broad her musical interests are, or the fact that basically all of her major influences have nothing to do with dance pop.  I've never considered dance pop to be the "authentic" Gaga given her history.

I think she is just aligning more with the music that she prefers to make.  However, she is a smart enough businesswoman to also know that she has a chance to expand her demographic, and I do think her intent is to expand her demographic for Joanne to include people who enjoyed C2C.  I think for the type of longevity she wants in her career she is willing to trade off rabid dance pop fans for a wider range of people that will not try to force her into doing dance pop the rest of her career ala Jlo or Madonna.  I don't think she wants to do that.

I don't think she wants to ever stop making dance pop though :sweat: that's a huge part of her and, believe it or not, another genre that she really likes. While I agree her music tastes have never aligned with Top 40 radio trendy music, artists like Grace Jones, Whitney Houston, Madonna, and some lesser known dance artists have influenced who she is. You can't rewrite her given history and tastes to try and justify Joanne (which I'm not saying you're doing but there are some on here who are). I just think Joanne is her attempt at bringing in new fans who like TF/M weren't always upset if she made dance pop or not. She wants to reach out to more people with this style of music. At least, I think so :giveup:

PI Floppedt

I think it's a way of her acknowledging that she finally has the luxury to make the kind of music she's always wanted to make. One thing that she's mentioned in her interviews which reaffirmed this was when she said that she's "always wanted to work with Mark (Ronson)" for her previous studio albums. In addition, during the ARTPOP era, she expressed her disapproval on the idea of artistes creating songs that are commercially viable, just so they can satisfy the label's expectations. At some point after the ARTPOP days had passed, she probably settled into a mentality that erases specific expectations of her image and music from the higher-ups at her labels, the general public and perhaps even some of her fans. This is not to say that she has totally neglected chart success though. It's just that she's playing in a different game mode. I mean, she has already accomplished chart-wise (i.e. The Fame, The Fame Monster, Born This Way eras). She just wants to bring more attention to her music instead of the processes that determine whether it is commercially viable.

I also think the big idea behind the Joanne era is the notion that she's been harping on a lot - something about big things can happen in small stuffs? But I haven't given much thought about it. :laughga:

I don't actually hate PI

Archived