đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

I feel like Perfect Illusion is her "darkest" song

Shaney

Featured Posts

Just now, cakelikladygaga said:

I think she means dark in an emotional wreckage way. Heavy Metal Lover to me is by far the most sexiest song of hers yet.

Yes, that's what I meant! Thank you 

8 minutes ago, Bae said:

Many of you may think that TFM and BTW are her darkest works, but for me, a lot of the instrumentals on those albums don't really suit the lyrical content. For me, at least.

On Perfect Illusion, the instrumental is so haunting and ominous, it's just as if you just realized that you're long-term relationship wasn't real all along. It suits the lyrics PERFECTLY. I think this is why Gaga wanted PI to sound like a "punch in the face", because that's what it's like to realize it wasn't love. THANK YOU GAGA. This song is great!!!!!

The instrumental is definitely one of her best:

http://ladygaganow.co/listen-perfect-illusion-official-instrumental

I don't know if it's the darkest song, but DAMN, this instrumental SLAYYYYYYYYYS!!! :sara: Thank you for sharing this, it makes me love the song even more!

In terms of "emotional wreckage", then I can see it being up there.

I agree that Dope is probably her most emotionally vulnerable, and even broken- I see PI as this almost desperate, angry kind of confused.

edit: I mean, the main focus of the chorus literally screaming it wasn't love | it wasn't love is incredibly telling.

3 points in and ready for more

BTW has the darkest sounds of Gaga's career but they're also sexy, the lyrics for that album are liberating in a sexual way, and the cover tells me much about it. PI is something different, it's still Gaga expressing herself in a more than natural way, but it's ragey, it's almost hopeless and they did a very good job with the instrumental. It's  just a whole new experience.

3 minutes ago, Miel said:

In terms of "emotional wreckage", then I can see it being up there.

I agree that Dope is probably her most emotionally vulnerable, and even broken- I see PI as this almost desperate, angry kind of confused.

edit: I mean, the main focus of the chorus literally screaming it wasn't love | it wasn't love is incredibly telling.

Yes! That's what I was trying to get across but for some reason I wasn't thinking of the right words. 

Isn't it funny that Born This Way sounds so dark and foreboding at face value but is really such a celebration once you get to know the song personally and Perfect Illusion sounds so dancy and light at first listen but as the music draws you in further, it's like you're in a very dark place full of pain and hurt. She really loves toying with layers doesn't she? :giveup:

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

And I think heavy is the word you're looking for. Bloody Mary and Perfect Illusion are both dark in different ways. BM concentrates more on the artistry of the song while PI is heavy with negative emotions and doesn't really concentrate in telling a story.

Inside, we are really made the same. đź•Š

Even though the instrumental gets really expressive towards the ending, I think the way she's singing the lyrics is what gives the song its "darkness", it feels like she's arguing and screaming "IT WASN'T LOVE, IT WAS A PERFECT ILLUSION!!!!!" to Instagram (or Taylor :hor:). In the instrumental, this darkness becomes clear to me in the second chorus/pitch change with the addition of the orchestral sounds - it sounds suffocating, painful, desperate. It almost makes me wish this song didn't exist at all, because I imagine she gets sad when singing it :(

MonsterBall13

Dance in the dark says hello :lana:

EDIT: I do think PI is rather dark..but definitely not to the same level as DITD 

Glamourpuss

I can't hear the instrumental enough because of the loudness of her voice. That's not me having a dig but I'm trying to think now how the instrumental goes and apart from the intro I can't remember it. I remember that I did like it and wish it was in the forefront a lot more though.

I know the emphasis was meant to be on her voice but it's just ashame that other talented people worked on this and their talent isn't being recognised. 

But getting back to the topic about this being dark, I have to agree. I think she got the emotion perfect.

34 minutes ago, Glamourpuss said:

I can't hear the instrumental enough because of the loudness of her voice. That's not me having a dig but I'm trying to think now how the instrumental goes and apart from the intro I can't remember it. I remember that I did like it and wish it was in the forefront a lot more though.

I know the emphasis was meant to be on her voice but it's just ashame that other talented people worked on this and their talent isn't being recognised. 

But getting back to the topic about this being dark, I have to agree. I think she got the emotion perfect.

Gaga's instrumentals are always (most of the time, lol) incredible on their own, I guess this is no different. 

Archived