💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why does the industry deny Grace Jone's impact?

Hexxx

Featured Posts

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ReidOne
Just now, Hexxx said:

@ReidOne like i said, i could go on and on posting side by side photos.

:hug:

I was only being shady with my prior comments... the reason I'm so critical of Grace's music is because, as a pop ARTIST, she is virtually unmatched. And still imitated to this very day. I feel you on the OP. She deserves so much more than she receives. 

And, while short on bops, her music is actually very high quality. It's not exactly the "pop" aesthetic that her visual persona conveys, but it's quality nonetheless. 

I'm here for it. 

iMonster
2 minutes ago, Hexxx said:

I remember which is what i love about gaga.

But you get what im saying? Even though people of today may not know about her, their faves do and never credit her at all in their photoshoots and stage outfits. 

I definitely understand your stance and it's true. She's an artist for artist (if you get what I mean). Honestly the reason why Gaga mentioned her was because she's a true performing artist. She lives and actually studies art. Whereas someone like Rihanna or Katy get their ideas from others for the most part. Rather they'd prob only mention Grace for the name drop and not because they actually were inspired by her. 

It happens all the time tbh and it's sad. There's no denying her impact though. 

7 minutes ago, Altair said:

I don't know who that is. 

But like she reminds me of Nicki Minaj 

Just flip that sentence around and you're good to go.

Computer

I have only known of her when she shaded Gaga.

Does she have a song?  I haven't heard it.

💚💛💕❣⭕💢💢 | ⓜⓔⓡⓡⓨ ©ⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓜⓐⓢ

Klonoa
1 minute ago, Computer said:

I love this one

Altair
4 minutes ago, uo111 said:

Just flip that sentence around and you're good to go.

who that is, I don't know.... :huh:

ReidOne
5 minutes ago, Computer said:

One of her biggest hits is a cover of Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose"

.... which is why it was so noteworthy that Gaga made this song a staple of her 'Cheek to Cheek' era shows (while wearing a Marilyn Monroe 'Gentleman Prefer Blondes'-inspired dress ... AKA, Madonna "Material Girl" video teas)... 

19-madonna-material-girl-03-resized.jpg

It was as if Gaga was honoring her 2 greatest inspirations in a single performance! Madonna and Grace. It was magic. Legit made me cry when I saw Gaga give her debut performance of it live at the Hollywood Bowl (which is also a venue Grace frequently plays to this very day). 

1 minute ago, Altair said:

who that is, I don't know.... :huh:

Influential model turned singer (among acting gigs) from the 80's era.

20 minutes ago, Altair said:

I don't know who that is. 

But like she reminds me of Nicki Minaj 

20 minutes ago, Altair said:

I don't know who Nicki Minaj is, 

But like she reminds me of Grace Jones

Fixed

:laughga: jk

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

ReidOne
14 minutes ago, Computer said:

Aside from "La Vie En Rose" ... her actual "biggest hit" on radio and in clubs was "Pull Up to the Bumper" (a song which you can still her on occasion on old school R&B radio stations in the US to this day): 

(and yes, @Hexxx, I officially retract my prior comments... this one is a ****ing BOP!!)

...and honorable mentions to another one of her moderate hits, "Slave to the Rhythm": 

imnotyourbabe10

Thank you for sharing the Grace Jones love.  :diane:

Just started reading her autobiography and it is incredible.  Recently began listening to her discography more and I wish the music industry and/or general public appreciated her aesthetic and queerness a bit more.  (And I also agree with the previous comment about Kate Bush...she is in an amazing league of her own).  

Since some don't know either...here are some song suggestions...not exhaustive, to be sure, but some tracks that are interesting as are the videos.

Grace Jones: I'm Not Perfect, Pull Up to the Bumper, Nipple to the Bottle, Don't Mess with the Messer, Demolition Man, Fame, Corporate Cannibal, Well Well Well.

Kate Bush: Running Up That Hill, Rubberband Girl, Wuthering Heights, Hammer Horror, James and the Cold Gun, The Sensual World, Wow, Babooshka

Have a great day/night, all :)

ReidOne
1 minute ago, ReidOne said:

So trashy.... I'm slayed!!! 

Pull up to my bumper baby,
And drive it in between.

:deadbanana:

Archived