Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
question

Would the Madonna comparisons have been as pronounced if...

15jocart

Featured Posts

15jocart

Born This Way was not both the lead single and the titular track off the album? I was thinking about this and I was wondering how it would have played out. Either:

1) Born This Way sounds the same as it does not, but is just an album track off the album (and the name of the album isn't Born This Way), or

2) Another song is criticized for being a Madonna sound-alike.

I think that there would have been less critics because the GP don't typically care about album tracks. Fashion of His Love sounds very similar to I Wanna Dance With Somebody, arguably Whitney Houston's signature song, but most people won't ever know about that because FOHL is an album track. Just something I was thinking, what are your guys' thoughts?

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

15jocart
Just now, Nino said:

The Madonna comparisons were here during the TFM era too.

Yeah, but I'm just talking about the specific BTW instance, because the media really blew that one up.

Been a long time but I'm back in town, and this time I'm not leaving without you

LUO YI

I would have released Marry The Night for the lead and the album would be called Electric Chapel :lolga: That's how I would want it

The night sky tells all

Dangerous Man

People love drama so they would stilll find a way to compare Gaga to Madge.

"A little less conversation and a little more touch my body."

VOLANTIS

The Fanbases had been at each other's throats ever since TF era so I guess it would have been addressed one way or the other. Madonna went on to call Gaga reductive and that's how the "feud" became mainstream. 

I'll lift you 3 inches off the ground and drag you to a meter and a half

zakariah

Now that I think of it, the media were kind of using Madge too, because usually the media is pretty harsh towards Madge. So when the Gaga x Madge comparisons came along, they took advantage of Madge by influencing her to go along with this drama. And after the drama & comparisons were over, they just disposed of Madge entirely, and didn't really give a shït abt her or her new music (MDNA & Rebel Heart). I feel bad for Madge tbh. :madge:

OT: I don't think it would have been compared THAT much. Like maybe just between the fanbases & stans. But not media-wide like how it did go irl. 

GagaXCupcakke

No one would care if it wasn't a single.  Like the song Fashion!, some Madonna stans say it's a rip off of Holiday. But since it's only an album song no one cares.  

15jocart
20 minutes ago, Dora said:

No one would care if it wasn't a single.  Like the song Fashion!, some Madonna stans say it's a rip off of Holiday. But since it's only an album song no one cares.  

The thumbnail for that video had me thinking they edited it so Gaga's robot hand was in Madonna's mouth and Madonna was gently caressing Gaga's face with her hand backwards :derpga:

shoful

I dont even hear the similarity in Born This Way and Express Yourself. Born This Way is like a completely different genre of pop. I could see if they bashed Gaga for her Alejandro music video. Because come on. That was basically her trying to be Madonna. Please no one attack me haha. 

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Lord Temptation

Gaga wanted Marry the Night as the lead single but Interscum said no. They knew there would be a relentless media campaign to call Gaga a Madonna copycat. They made it happen. 

Bebe

I think the Steven Klein directed Alejandro that came before and Judas that came after also fueled the comparisons.  The religious imagery was a throwback to Madonna.

I don't see the comparisons as such a bad thing though tbh, it's not a terrible thing to be compared to Madonna. I think she has truly managed to shake those comparisons by now though, after C2C both Oscar performances and the Super Bowl performance it's hard to link her to Madonna who was never known as that sort of vocalist.

Bellatrix
1 hour ago, shoful said:

I dont even hear the similarity in Born This Way and Express Yourself. Born This Way is like a completely different genre of pop. I could see if they bashed Gaga for her Alejandro music video. Because come on. That was basically her trying to be Madonna. Please no one attack me haha. 

I agree with you. EY and BTW doesn't sound very similar. There are bigger similarities between Alejandro and La Isla Bonita but barely anyone has mentioned it for some reason.

55 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Gaga wanted Marry the Night as the lead single but Interscum said no. They knew there would be a relentless media campaign to call Gaga a Madonna copycat. They made it happen. 

Where did she say she wanted MTN for the lead? Lets not always blame interscope for everything bad, sometimes its her own damn fault...

Bellatrix
32 minutes ago, Nono said:

Where did she say she wanted MTN for the lead? Lets not always blame interscope for everything bad, sometimes its her own damn fault...

Exactly! Interslay rooted for DITD while the Gaga lady did not :grr:

Archived