Why 'Make Me' is failing

GloZell Green

Featured Posts

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Child
8 hours ago, PopThatArt said:

Zero promo, same thing all the time, she never grows up musically, so many factors, redundant themes, same sound all the time, she follows instead of leads, so many things! 

Her performances are still the same old thing, back up dancers, her being sexy. She needs a re invention.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

The Child

Honestly, I'm a big fan of her but Make Me is just meh, it's an okay song, it shouldn't have been the lead single honestly. It doesn't make me crazy.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

9 hours ago, GloZell Green said:

Hear me out. This is not intended to bash Britney, I love her music and I love Make Me a lot. This is my first music analysis and I always wanted to try this out.

Today I logged onto Twitter to see something that was disappointing. Britney Spears' new single 'Make Me' dropped 50 spots on the UK charts, from #42 to #92. Even the mediocre 'Pretty Girls' was able to debut higher, entering the chart at #16 (eventually falling to #55, #80, and then falling off the chart). Yes it's true that Britney hasn't been huge in the UK after the disappointing 'Britney Jean' album, but I'm genuinely curious to why this song isn't doing well despite the song being a return to her "roots" as some fans claim. Obviously, the commercial performance does not affect my opinion on the song, but it's sad to see it falling. The song currently sits at #91 on the Worldwide iTunes Song Chart (according to Kworb), falling 38 spots from its previous position. The song is not found within the Top 100 in the UK iTunes Store, and it sits at #51 in the US iTunes Store, with dark red updates. The song is also falling in the US and UK Spotify charts. It's radio spins don't show the same pattern though, as it stays stable at #23.

Time to analyze. There are multiple problems with the promotion and how her team manages releases. First of all, the live promotion, as in performances. Britney is set to perform for the iHeart Radio festival I believe, but that's in September, far away. There are also hopes for her to perform at the VMAs in August, reasonable, right? But there's that one thing that screws up the promotional schedule; Piece of Me. Her Vegas Residency is set to end on February 4th. I think this residency truly messes up every chance that Britney has to promote her new single. She has gaps in between each leg to promote but she's also a mother, so add that to her list. Leg 14 ended on the 13th, and the 15th leg is set to start on August 17. I don't know why she hasn't gone off to promote the single on shows. It might be a problem with her management, seeing as how they tend to lack a lot.

There's also the question of the music video. We have seen that there is a long snippet of the music video up on Vimeo, not the length of the the entire song, but we're assuming that they have that scene completely filmed. There are also leaks that show her covered in glitter in a cage. With all of this in mind, I'm assuming that they have the footage. So why hasn't the video been released? People have been bringing up two possible reasons; Britney doesn't like the video, or the video isn't done being edited. Britney said that the video was empowering in her Tumblr Ask, but there's no sight of it. Rumor has it that she doesn't like the director's cut, which is the one that RCA is pushing for release. Other people are saying that the editor takes really long to edit videos. It's been two weeks since the song was released, but we were treated to behind the scene images months back. The video release could push  the song up, and get people talking with the controversial director's cut.

Basically, what I'm saying, is that the song is failing due to the fact that there's no promotion being done for the song besides the radio treatment. RCA needs to get their **** together because this song does not deserve to flop  

I totally agree with you. Hopefully it can still become a hit here in the UK. I have heard it on capital fm 6 times! And I barely listen to the radio, the radios are supporting her here for the first time since scream and shout, I thought it would be top 40 this week. Its ashame but the UK feels disconnected from Britney and the rest of Europe tbh

Dawson

Because its a boring song. She can't slap her name on it and expect it to do well

dlioncourt91

The lack of promotion period.

Femme Fatale was the last time she bothered to do anything revolving live performances (until the BBMAs this year) and even then, they weren't up to her standards set in the past. We had scripted interviews which revolved around the same questions/answers and more focus was put on her perfume line, lingerie and outside ventures rather than her music. Britney Jean took a very hard hit to her brand; the Myah Marie scandal, no promotion/performances outside of Vegas and the very toned down "I'm a Mother" attitude saw Work Bitch and Perfume being toned down considerably which just felt like Britney had nothing to offer anymore and was content performing in Vegas and not exploring as an artist.

With this record, a lot of the response to MM has been well and some have been critical but it's for sure gotten more airplay and attention than WB, Perfume or even PG ever did. With the leaked LQ snippets of the video and single hit the net, they released it on a date that had been thrown around by an insider and since then, there's been no peep about a release date, video premiere, or even the album title. It could easily be solved by a simple thing promotion. No one will buy your product without promotion or people acknowledging it exists. She could have done a radio tag with the song. "Hi, this is Britney Spears and you're listening to my new single "Make Me" now available from my new album coming soon." Some few contests for Vegas tickets, video teasers, radio interviews, anything but the silence we've had lately.

FrankGutz
On 29/7/2016 at 10:21 PM, Iwontell said:

Hey, you're forgetting an important element of Britney's artistry: hot semi naked dancers!
6.gif

tbh, that's why phags love ha

BDJ4GS5.gif

Dᮄ ‱ Dᎀʀᎋ Hᎏʀsᮇ | Hᎏʀʀᎏʀ ‱ TʜʀÉȘʟʟᎇʀ | Eʟᎇᎄ᎛ʀᎏɎÉȘᮄ | FÉȘᮛɮᮇss | MᎀɎᎅʏ Mᎏᎏʀᎇ ‱ Lᎀᎅʏ Gᮀɱᮀ ‱ Sᎏ᎘ʜÉȘᮇ Bᮇx᎛ᎏʀ

OriginalMonster

I've heard the song was released a couple weeks early due to the leaks so that's why no promo has happened yet, as it was scheduled for when the song was supposed to come out. But this week she is doing a couple of radio interviews and has a surprise on Jimmy Kimmel. There have been some rumors of the video being scrapped or changed or reshot, but the rumored video release date wasn't until August anyway so it's hard to say. The song is doing well on radio though so it definitely has a shot.

Brian Ryan

No great promo since ITZ, no one's buying the song, it's doing okay on radio but enough for a higher peak or no one even cares enough about the song. It's no fail in my book. I love it.

On July 29, 2016 at 6:48 PM, elijahfan said:

This. Quite frankly, at some point, it's not rocket science: if the song's not great, people don't buy.

Yes, because only good songs top the charts. Anything that's not top 10 must be bad.

PaperIz

You people make me so mad. Don't like the song? Shut up about it :saladga:this thread is pissing me off. 

ryhanna

It's an enjoyable song, but it doesn't seem like something that would be a huge hit to me. More like an album track than a lead single, imo.

Archived