Is Gaga the most famous artist?

Quark

Featured Posts

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Caesium
3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Also, Beyonce has sold 100+ million records with 6 albums. Gaga has sold 170+million with just 4.

I accept that, I'm not saying Beyoncé is more successful than Gaga in the long run. I'm talking of as of today, who is the most famous artist? It's Beyoncé. Or Adele. That's very much up for debate depending on how you see fame. There really doesn't need to be that much more discussion about this.

Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me

Quark
4 minutes ago, Caesium said:

I accept that, I'm not saying Beyoncé is more successful than Gaga in the long run. I'm talking of as of today, who is the most famous artist? It's Beyoncé. Or Adele. That's very much up for debate depending on how you see fame. There really doesn't need to be that much more discussion about this.

You keep confusing popularity with fame though. Is not like the people that used to know Gaga back then suddenly forgot who she is.

Yanko
18 minutes ago, Caesium said:

Probably down to the fact that ARTPOP has been out for two and a half years whilst Lemonade is not even 2 months old... :saladga:

i mean

britfail_by_samfiss-di0ref.gif

enigma is such a bad troll 

Bellatrix
2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

You keep confusing popularity with fame though. Is not like the people that used to know Gaga back then suddenly forgot who she is.

So then it doesn't matter who sold the most then?

Melech
1 hour ago, Didymus said:

I will say however that she's not the most talked about rn and she would come to mind very late (I think) if people would just ask random people on the street for an example of a really famous artist. Madonna, Michael, Taylor, Adele.. I think they'd come to mind a lot faster.

Even Justin Bieber

Quark
1 minute ago, Bellatrix said:

So then it doesn't matter who sold the most then?

It matters. But that is not all there is. Like I already said, in general sales are good indicators, but other aspects such a constant and big headlines also help with fame. And Gaga is the top in almost any category that would lead to fame. Also there is a reason World Record Guiness included her as the most famous as recently as 2 years ago.

Caesium
2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Not this popularity/fame argument again 

RP6OMMD.gif 

I'm not saying they've forgotten who she is, but she's less in the GPs minds now than she was in 2010. She's not as relevant. I wish she was still in their minds as much, but being brutally honest, she isn't. Hopefully she can bounce back with LG5 (if it ever becomes more than an urban legend amongst us Gaga fans) but as of right now, the most famous artist in the world is down to a handful of people. Gaga is not, I repeat NOT, one of them. 

Time for you to move over to UK Monster's goodbye thread and say your farewells

f56lw6jpg.gif 

Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me

Bellatrix
Just now, Enigma said:

It matters. But that is not all there is. Like I already said, in general sales are good indicators, but other aspects such a constant and big headlines also help with fame. And Gaga is the top in almost any category that would lead to fame. Also there is a reason World Record Guiness included her as the most famous as recently as 2 years ago.

In that case I'd say Adele is closer to the title now than Gaga. The charts here in Sweden includes Spotify streams, which is about 70% of the charts. Despite of that 25 managed to get #1 for a couple of weeks. If Gaga or anyone else decided not to release on Spotify they would probably not even make it to the top 10.

Quark
1 minute ago, Caesium said:

Not this popularity/fame argument again 

RP6OMMD.gif 

I'm not saying they've forgotten who she is, but she's less in the GPs minds now than she was in 2010. She's not as relevant. I wish she was still in their minds as much, but being brutally honest, she isn't. Hopefully she can bounce back with LG5 (if it ever becomes more than an urban legend amongst us Gaga fans) but as of right now, the most famous artist in the world is down to a handful of people. Gaga is not, I repeat NOT, one of them. 

Time for you to move over to UK Monster's goodbye thread and say your farewells

f56lw6jpg.gif 

I agree with you in that she is not in GP minds much these days. But that is what popularity is. If you could ask people around the world if they know who Gaga is, most of them would say yes. And that is what fame is.

Quark
1 minute ago, Bellatrix said:

In that case I'd say Adele is closer to the title now than Gaga. The charts here in Sweden includes Spotify streams, which is about 70% of the charts. Despite of that 25 managed to get #1 for a couple of weeks. If Gaga or anyone else decided not to release on Spotify they would probably not even make it to the top 10.

I do agree with you that Adele could rival her tbh. But this is still debatable in my opinion.

fede ARTPOP
1 hour ago, Yanko said:

i mean

britfail_by_samfiss-di0ref.gif

enigma is such a bad troll 

OMG that gif.. LAZY AF IM SCREAMING HAHAHAHAHAJAJAJAJAJAHAHAHAHAHAHA

now·taw·ree·uhs  bee·uhng

HighlandHeart
2 hours ago, Baby Blue said:

TFM: WW(15M) US + UK =9M

15M-9M=6M

21 sales: WW(30M) US + UK=15M

30M-15M=15M

Adele sold more albums WW than TF/M did in total :air: 

EDIT: Even 25 outsold TFM even in UK :rip: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_Kingdom

And your point is?

If you don't have shadows you're not standing in the light.

Archived