Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

Is Gaga the most famous artist?

Quark

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

We're talking about artists sweetie.

all of those singers I mentioned CREATE their own music (minus rihanna), so they are also ARTISTS. If you think that Gaga is more famous than Adele, Taylor, Katy and Beyonce then you need a ****ing reality check sweetie.. like how cringe worthy are you 

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Divine
9 hours ago, Enigma said:

It matters. But that is not all there is. Like I already said, in general sales are good indicators, but other aspects such a constant and big headlines also help with fame. And Gaga is the top in almost any category that would lead to fame. Also there is a reason World Record Guiness included her as the most famous as recently as 2 years ago.

and yes you answered your own question at your thread :neyde:

"And I still love you even if I can't see you anymore."

Lord Temptation
31 minutes ago, Gilly said:

all of those singers I mentioned CREATE their own music (minus rihanna), so they are also ARTISTS. If you think that Gaga is more famous than Adele, Taylor, Katy and Beyonce then you need a ****ing reality check sweetie.. like how cringe worthy are you 

And you need some manners. 

Didymus
12 hours ago, Enigma said:

I agree with you in that she is not in GP minds much these days. But that is what popularity is. If you could ask people around the world if they know who Gaga is, most of them would say yes. And that is what fame is.

I don't get this argument at all. If something is really popular on a massive scale people will know it, so then.. how do you distinguish between people knowing someone as being a sign of popularity or fame? :emma:

Fiona Apple
6 hours ago, Gilly said:

I am pretty sure that Gaga's name is A LOT more known than all of those artists worldwide..That's not because she is more successful but because she has been really controversal in the past and she got a lot of attention for that.. I am pretty sure that if I ask people from my school if they know those artists (I live in Greece) At least a 5-10% will not know Taylor Swift,Adele and Katy. But I've never met a person that doesn't know who Lady Gaga is (even if they don't know any of her music,they know about her crazy outfits etc.). 

39 minutes ago, Britney Spears said:

I am pretty sure that Gaga's name is A LOT more known than all of those artists worldwide..That's not because she is more successful but because she has been really controversal in the past and she got a lot of attention for that.. I am pretty sure that if I ask people from my school if they know those artists (I live in Greece) At least a 5-10% will not know Taylor Swift,Adele and Katy. But I've never met a person that doesn't know who Lady Gaga is (even if they don't know any of her music,they know about her crazy outfits etc.). 

ok 

Snow

Lol absolutely not the most famous. No need to even think. Besides there hasn't really been even must interesting in her from Media/public in recent years. But let's see what lg5 do. But yeah, definately not The most famous Lol.

Quark
8 hours ago, Didymus said:

I don't get this argument at all. If something is really popular on a massive scale people will know it, so then.. how do you distinguish between people knowing someone as being a sign of popularity or fame? :emma:

Yes, if people are very popular then they will get fame. But these others artists have never seen the kind of popularity Gaga had during her peak. And as a result she would have more fame. The only one I see rivaling her out of the current artists is Adele. But like I already explained to you, Adele hasn't had the amount of broad coverage and headlines that Gaga has had throughout her career and as a result I would think Gaga would have more fame than her. Also add to the fact that she has been named to most famous celebrity in the world by the Guiness World Records and this only adds to my assumptions. And I would think that they have better research and fame estimation tools than I have.

Andrew Warhola

On GGD? Probably. Right next to Katy Perry, I'd say

she's a party girl with a bad habit for drugs

Didymus
1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Also add to the fact that she has been named to most famous celebrity in the world by the Guiness World Records and this only adds to my assumptions. And I would think that they have better research and fame estimation tools than I have.

Yeah, I don't even buy that. I can't find any trustworthy source about that, if you search for it on Google literally all that comes up is stan forums discussing it. News sites always report the celebs that made the book every year and that category seems to just have been made up, no other artist ever got it. The record can't be found on their website either.

Which doesn't surprise me. It's not something Guinness can measure. The celeb/fame categories are all based on strict measurements, such as the category Gaga did win in 2010: most internet-searched female. That and the records for the amount of followers on social media are the closest in the books that comes to measurements of fame.

And guess what, Gaga has serious competition in those categories. In 2015 Gaga wasn't in the top 10 of most searched people on the internet (Adele and Sia were the most searched artists of that year), and she hasn't been the most followed person on Twitter for a while now. Justin and Katy both beat her in 2013, Katy becoming the most followed person on Twitter in 2016 beating Justin, Taylor being third.

Those categories taken into consideration, it's impossible she was the most famous celebrity in 2013, as Wikipedia and several stan forums claim she was according to Guinness. She wasn't even in the top 10 of most searched celebrities of that year. This is the top 10 that year:

1. Beyoncé
2. Kim Kardashian
3. Rihanna
4. Taylor Swift
5. Madonna
6. Justin Bieber
7. Nicki Minaj
8. Amanda Bynes
9. Miley Cyrus
10. Barack Obama

That was for the U.S. The only countries where Gaga appeared in the top 10 were Brazil (#4) and Australia (#6). If we go back to 2011 where she supposedly got the "Most Famous Celebrity in the World" title as well, she didn't appear in the top 10 of the UK and she was only #9 in the US, being beaten by Katy (#7), Britney (#6), Jennifer Lopez (#5) and Justin Biebs (#1). Too lazy to check out the rest, but those are the most important ones anyway.

(She wasn't in the US top 10 for 2014 either btw, not even in the specifically filtered one for music artists - Beyoncé was #1, Miley #2 and Katy #3 btw).

So all the statistics Guinness could use point to the opposite of your claim that Gaga is the most famous artist rn.

Oriane
54 minutes ago, Didymus said:

That and the records for the amount of followers on social media are the closest in the books that comes to measurements of fame.

But keep in mind that it's only the "young" people, I'd say 12-30 years old maximum, that do all these searches on Google and follow celebrities on social media... My grandparents sure don't follow Gaga on Twitter and all but they know her ! Do they know Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift ? I don't think so.

No, I think the best way to measure fame is simply a survey that would include all categories of people, all ages, all social conditions, all locations, etc. 

14 hours ago, Gilly said:

If you think that Gaga is more famous than Adele, Taylor, Katy and Beyonce then you need a ****ing reality check sweetie

Ok then go to an old people's home and ask them if they know Adele, Taylor, Katy etc, and Gaga. My mom's job is to take care of old people and sometimes they talk and she says "my daughter is a fan of Lady Gaga but I don't think you know her" and they all answer "of course I know her, they often talk about her on the TV".

To all of you who say other current singers are more famous than Gaga, don't forget that fame and popularity are two separate things. Gaga has become famous for all of the outfits, the meat dress (I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of that), for being eccentric etc. What are the others famous for ? Their music. And do all people know their music ? No. Maybe they heard their songs on the radio but they don't even know the name of the singers. The only reason I know the names of Adele, Taylor, Katy and all of them is because I spend time on the Internet, and I'm a fan of Lady Gaga so I know the pop industry a little, and unfortunately all these singers are being compared and all that stuff. But I'm not even sure I would have heard of them if I had been, let's say, only a metal fan or anything. But I really don't know any person who doesn't know Lady Gaga.

I think many of you are forgetting that the Internet population is definitely not the world's population ! A lot of people here are about our age but what we see is not representative of what happens in the real world. Do you really think 40-year-old people are checking the news of the current pop stars ? They don't. But a lot of teens do. Do you really think a lot of people above 40 know Gangnam Style ? No, and yet it's one of the most seen videos of Youtube.

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams

7 minutes ago, Oriane23 said:

But keep in mind that it's only the "young" people, I'd say 12-30 years old maximum, that do all these searches on Google and follow celebrities on social media... My grandparents sure don't follow Gaga on Twitter and all but they know her ! Do they know Kim Kardashian, Beyoncé, Taylor Swift ? I don't think so.

No, I think the best way to measure fame is simply a survey that would include all categories of people, all ages, all social conditions, all locations, etc. 

Ok then go to an old people's home and ask them if they know Adele, Taylor, Katy etc, and Gaga. My mom's job is to take care of old people and sometimes they talk and she says "my daughter is a fan of Lady Gaga but I don't think you know her" and they all answer "of course I know her, they often talk about her on the TV".

To all of you who say other current singers are more famous than Gaga, don't forget that fame and popularity are two separate things. Gaga has become famous for all of the outfits, the meat dress (I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of that), for being eccentric etc. What are the others famous for ? Their music. And do all people know their music ? No. Maybe they heard their songs on the radio but they don't even know the name of the singers. The only reason I know the names of Adele, Taylor, Katy and all of them is because I spend time on the Internet, and I'm a fan of Lady Gaga so I know the pop industry a little, and unfortunately all these singers are being compared and all that stuff. But I'm not even sure I would have heard of them if I had been, let's say, only a metal fan or anything. But I really don't know any person who doesn't know Lady Gaga.

I think many of you are forgetting that the Internet population is definitely not the world's population ! A lot of people here are about our age but what we see is not representative of what happens in the real world. Do you really think 40-year-old people are checking the news of the current pop stars ? They don't. But a lot of teens do. Do you really think a lot of people above 40 know Gangnam Style ? No, and yet it's one of the most seen videos of Youtube.

Literally nobody remembers Gaga. You're stuck in 2011, bew. Stop with these stupid ass "if i would ask 50 kids in a Nigeria village who they knew: Gaga or Katy, they would pick Gaga."

You're deluded af if you think the average person in 2016 would happen to know Gaga but not BEYONCE, ADELE OR KATY PERRY lmfao 

Archived