opinion

Gaga and her fans rn

Didymus

Featured Posts

Phoenix

I've been stanning for Gaga since forever, and I have been in the situation so many times, where I asked myself "did she plan all this or was it just a coincidence?" cause sometimes it gets to the point where it's too weird for it to be a coincidence.

All these connected do make sense, we will probably never know if all this is true, but there is always a possibility.

It's true that Gaga's relationship with her fans isn't the same, but I feel like over the time she realized that her fans weren't really what she thought they were. Idk how to explain, but maybe she realized that her fans are just the same as all the other people. Many of them still don't care about some stuff that she used to fight hard for. And in this fanbase (which makes no sense) you can still see people who judge others for what they are (just an example). 

Maybe she just got dissapointed at some point, idk. 

💎

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
giskardsb

thanks for taking the time to write all that up, interesting career spanning analysis. I've never seen Little Mermaid, maybe I'd understand Gaga better if I did. :)

I think it's not just conjecture, but obvious at this point, that Gaga has often felt like a "fish out of water" (mermaid reference) in her career.  It's clear from her early history that before Fusari convinced her otherwise doing dance pop wasn't really in her career plans.  That's not to say she didn't buy into it, or do it brilliantly.  However, the demands of the pop industry, the price of fame, the constant target she has on her back from both critics and fans, and the need to be respected as a musician and not just a fashionable dancing robot have obviously had effects on her career, as well as her physical and mental health.  Remember when she said "ARTPOP is the end of the beginning of my Career."?  I think we are in for a whole new phase of Gaga, one more in tune with Gaga's own initial visions of her career, and something that balances all aspects of her creative and artistic needs. 

Gaga's fans gave her fame, fortune, and a lot of love.  They also try to keep her in the dance pop box and don't understand her need for variety of expression and the wide breadth of her interests.   I really think she may be at a point where if she has to alienate a bunch of fans in order to escape her "Ziggy Stardust" persona, then she is probably willing to do it, for her own creative needs.

Hecturr

I think she realized that her relationship with her fans wasn't healthy after btw. She seemed genuine when I talked with her at my M&G though. She said she was really enjoying meeting fans and would love to do it again. 

giskardsb
7 minutes ago, AJH219 said:

I think your interpretation is spot on, actually. Its pretty obvious that this fan base has been stifling/overwhelming to her over the last few years. However, she has no one to blame but herself for that. I think adopting that Mother Monster persona during the BTW era really backfired on her. The fan base has become absolutely obsessed with everything single thing about her, a side effect I don't believe she  anticipated at the time. I'm glad she's backing away. One of the initial reasons I was transfixed on her in late 2009 was because she had the  mystery around her. I feel like we've seen that elusiveness return slightly. 

it's at least as much the mentality of pop fans as anything Gaga did.  Eminem wrote "stan" for a reason, and Stan wasn't intended to become a term of endearment.

Didymus
4 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

It's true that Gaga's relationship with her fans isn't the same, but I feel like over the time she realized that her fans weren't really what she thought they were. Idk how to explain, but maybe she realized that her fans are just the same as all the other people. Many of them still don't care about some stuff that she used to fight hard for. And in this fanbase (which makes no sense) you can still see people who judge others for what they are (just an example). 

Maybe she just got dissapointed at some point, idk. 

Reminds me of the awkward period where she blocked her fans on Twitter because they didn't express her love and kindness message :air: That only lasted for like two weeks, but it was really weird. First time she really broke the "my fans can do no wrong" atmosphere, same with when she criticized her fans for attacking Bieber the same year.

So yeah it's stuff like that that makes me think there was such a change or moment you're talking about.. Can't blame her :chica:

giskardsb
5 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Reminds me of the awkward period where she blocked her fans on Twitter because they didn't express her love and kindness message :air: That only lasted for like two weeks, but it was really weird. First time she really broke the "my fans can do no wrong" atmosphere, same with when she criticized her fans for attacking Bieber the same year.

So yeah it's stuff like that that makes me think there was such a change or moment you're talking about.. Can't blame her :chica:

you have to think that for every objectively negative thread on GGD ( "Who would you fire", etc) that she gets a magnitude more tweets with the same and worse messages thrown at her every day.  And that's from "fans", not just the haters.  Yeah, it's part of the package of being famous, but after a while that stuff would drag you down.  Hopefully she never ever reads any of her tweets and just ignores the whole mess, but that may be why any social media interaction these days is basically one-way.

AJH219
2 minutes ago, giskardsb said:

it's at least as much the mentality of pop fans as anything Gaga did.  Eminem wrote "stan" for a reason, and Stan wasn't intended to become a term of endearment.

I just looked that song up, I'd never heard of it before. A little unsettling how accurately it describes some factions of this fan base :wtf: 

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

Phoenix
3 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Well it's her mistake to some point too. She made that relationship grow real strong, and out of all these new major popstars (rihanna, katy, beyonce etc.) her fanbase was/is probably the biggest. Positive side of that was her having a big support for the work she was putting out. But I feel like she should have kept that popstar-fanbase relationship a bit more tamed. Like some other popstars, i feel like that would have been a smarter move.

It's like at the late btw and ARTPOP era, i feel like gaga and her fanbase were isolated on some different universe, exploding about this album praising it and living "it's message", while the rest of the world was like "wut". She was out of place compared to others thanks to her fans (and to her listening to her fans). 

💎

Didymus
Just now, Phoenix said:

She was out of place compared to others thanks to her fans (and to her listening to her fans). 

Agreed. I'll never forget the way she described ARTPOP in 2012 :air: "I know what you guys want. Fun dance music" :poot: And then in 2014 her admitting she was just trying to give everyone what they wanted from her and Tony had to remind her of the worth of her own talent and creativity.. pretty dramatic, but just awful that it came so far. But yeah, certainly due to her own doing and/or the influence of her management.

Anyway, the next era will be fascinating to observe for all of this.

Didymus
2 minutes ago, JDi said:

oh my don't tell me the translucent artrave catwalks represented the ocean surface

Lady-Gaga-Creepy-Smile.gif

GagaMegaFan

Remember she wasn't interacting with her fans in her earlier (and more succesful) eras like The Fame and The Fame Monster? Like the fans were "just casual fans" not Little Monsters? Even in her performances she was acting cold to her fans... (You Know what I mean) Then BTW came out and suddenly the fans become LITTLE MONSTERS, and had very huge impact to her life... And you know BTW was not "that" succesful (compared to TF/M).. You understand? I know it's a weird correlation but I have a feeling that it's somehow true...

what do you think??

ew

Illuminati

I sort of doubt it's THAT deep, your perspective on things changes over time and I doubt she would drag it on for so long, but this is definitely an interesting point of view 

Archived