Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Official 'Joanne' Discussion Thread

The Surrealist

Featured Posts

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone noticed on the credits that Gaga plays the percussion on A-yo and Joanne? Interesting

jajagaga1896

Must say, I honestly have found Joanne to be her best work to date. I was not expecting to even genuinely enjoy the album after the singles that were released, and was surprised past what I thought I would ever be.

In fact, now that I have listened to the album as a whole, both Perfect Illusion, A-Yo, and even Million Reasons fit better. I get them, and have an enhanced respect and appreciation for both songs. Them as singles just did not convey the actual feeling of the album, however.

I think Gaga has finally relocated herself in the world of music, successfully. She is no longer a pop star. This album has solidified her as a music star who's talents range and who can successfully reinvent herself. This time, the focus is on the music. The music is still catchy and wonderful, but the lyrics, production, and overall sentiment have reached a new, more mature and deliberate place.

Gaga owns her prowess in every song off the album. For me, songs Dancin' In Circles, John Wayne, and Diamond Heart best exemplify the status of where Gaga finds herself. Her delivery and production have matured, and she now can convey her inner artistic resonance fluidly and without outside interference. 

ARTPOP, though I was an overall fan of the record, had to occur to bottom Gaga out of the pop/electronic/dance world. It was the best effort she could have given considering she was in the act of selling out her previous themes and messaging. It was as genuine and artistic an effort could be, considering the pop empire she built could no longer stand over its own weight. In a way, everything she had done was ARTPOP, and so the only thing left to do in this suffocating commercial sphere she was stuck in was to beat it to death with great tunes that just didn't quite deliver in quality or substance, as compared to her previous works, The Fame, The Fame Monster, and Born This Way, which were unaware and naive of their own place in pop enough to be construed as genuine and accepted as worthy by the general public.

Now, Gaga returns with an unexpected album with amazingly written and produced songs that are both interesting and personal. The music speaks for itself more than ever, as the songs are more than melodic or catchy - they take the instrumental value and lyrical status to a higher level, while being completely relatable to anyone who feels a connection. 

Her line, "I may not be flawless, but I have a diamond Heart," is something we all can relate to and feel at times. And we know from a soul like Gaga, she feels this deeply. John Wayne, a song about loving bad boys, also feels relatable and exciting. Dancin' In Circles, her celebration of loneliness, is something we are all looking for. When Gaga asks, "where did you go, girl," on ballad Joanne, deeper feelings of loss and missing a loved one is invoked - something most of us can uncover. 

Her themes of feminine power and it's ability to heal the world, particularly in the song Come To Mama, is refreshing and startlingly authentic, while ringing urgently necessary. Gaga comes to terms with what she wants to say to the world. It is a message of communication and peace, not so unique from her goal of Born This Way, although this rings more universal and less a LGBT tribute anthem. 

Gaga expresses herself first and foremost through her musicality, including singing and song-writing.  She seems to have learned that being a strong female artist does not mean you have to pounce out on stage with next to nothing on, grinding and gyrating to a mess of cold, fast, electronic pulses. Instead, a more earnest,original, and necessary strength comes from delivering an emotionally-charged, honest message in a manner that supports your integrity as a conscious human being and a multi-faceted artist. 

**What is most interesting, from my perspective, is that neither Perfect Illusion or A-Yo, nor Million Reasons, seemed to properly represent what the album would be like, either conceptually, lyrically, or sonically. In fact, I feel they somehow managed to gravely misrepresent the true nature of the album. Also interesting, once I heard the album in full, my perception of the three songs, including my respect for and enjoyment of each one increased tremendously and I understood their worth in the greater picture of the album. While fairly good songs on their own, when released without any context other than that they are new singles of an up-and-coming album, they appear lackluster and nearly unmistakably "terrible." Dancin' in Circles, Diamond Heart, Joanne, or a host of other songs off the album single-handedly seem to represent the albums core better than either of the singles or promo single. 

Highlights 

Dancin' In Circles [reminds me of Alejandro/TFM vibes]

John Wayne

Diamond Heart

Joanne 

Angel Down [inspired by Travon Martin] 

I've been waiting for the official release date to make my review.

The snippets we heard were promising even though i was put off by her singing, after the awful drill that is Perfect Illusion it was a relief. Perfect Illusion really depressed me. 

I left this forum during ARTPOP, the build up to this album was really exciting for a year but the album is a big mess. It has its moments with the title track, DWUW and Applause but the rest is so messy in production and lyrically i jumped ship. ARTPOP is an attempt to make the Fame Monster II that failed because there was no focus which translated into the ARTPOP ball. After attending the show i left this forum and removed myself from the monsters family. I started to see the cracks in Gaga, her meltdowns on Twitter, she wasn't making any sense in interviews, the costumes were too much and too many at the same time which made them uneventful.

I liked what she did with Cheek to cheek but it's not what i like to listen to. It was a good transition though that helped her get the F*** away from the messy ARTPOP era and show the world she could do something else even though she's more a Broadway singer than a jazz singer. 

So came the Joanne era. I was excited again with the promise of a new direction. I don't want a Fame/Fame Monster/BTW II or III since that's what ARTPOP already is (Dance music, lyrics about fame, pop culture, fashion and wearing costumes).

I love Josh Homme, i'm a big fan of Queen of the stone age so i was really pumped up even more with the announcement of him being on the album. I love what Mark Ronson did Amy Winehouse but after that he became a super mainstream producer ripping off left and right so i was not happy knowing he was working on LG5. Tame Impala is one of my favourite bands and the cover Rhianna did of their song on ANTI is so superb i imagined what Gaga who is more talented would be doing with them. There were so many exciting collaborations announced on the album that made me happy with the new direction : Florence Welch, Beck !

I was ready for Joanne. A simple straight album, no EDM at last. 

I'm beyond disapoointed with the result. It's not a bad album but it's not a good one either. In fact it's so bland that it may be worst than being bad in the end because Gaga is nothing but not bland.

I just can't stand the way she sings on it. I don't know why Mark Ronson chose to let her sing like this. Her voice is forced, grating. It's not only on Perfect Illusion but on every track. 

I listened to the album non stop for a day, trying to get used to it, to like it, to even love a song or two like it did with ARTPOP when the track ARTPOP was the one who kept me being a monster.

On Hey Girl she sounds like she's a guest on her own album and it reminds me too much of Benny & the Jets by Sir Elton John. Gaga has always been accused of ripping off other songs so i hoped she would try to make sure it would never happen again.

Ayo is too Avril Lavigne.

Even the ballads sound forced. Not genuine. It makes me so sad.

And then there's the whole concept behind the album. I don't understand why she uses her father's sister death as a personal tragedy. Now looking back it feels like she always tried to bring on a personal tragedy in each era. A rock critic once said that the greatest rock stars always have a personal tragedy that make them who they are and it sounds like Gaga is digging deep to find one for herself.

Now i going in what really hurts me. I'm a black boy, for 4 years i've been tweeting her to talk about Trayvon Martin and the BLM movement. She never did. After ARTPOP, i joined the Beehive because finally Beyonce released a good album. I was hoping to come back to mother monster but mother monster has left. 

I think the Gaga i loved was the result of a team work who is no longer there to direct and polish her. 

So i think i'm definitely leaving this community and gaga but i'll cherish forever the albums and people i met through gaga while growing up. I guess it comes to this, i grew up.

I don't want to rain on your parade i'm happy some of you love the album. You can't please everyone after all but gaga has not pleased me for a long time now and i have to stop forcing myself to love what she's doing when i don't. 

I still hope to see her in a Broadway musical.

No one is eager to review the album. There's just 7 professional reviews... At least the user score is not that bad. But you have to read the negative reviews, all of them are either disappointed little bottoms or Britney/Madonna fans...

it wasn't laaaahv

The Surrealist
1 hour ago, Mood Ring said:

No one is eager to review the album. There's just 7 professional reviews... At least the user score is not that bad. But you have to read the negative reviews, all of them are either disappointed little bottoms or Britney/Madonna fans...

Let the music speak for itself. Most critics didn't study music theory, it's just their opinion on how they think it sounds and if it's really bad they are judging Gaga's music based on her image.

jajagaga1896

I personally think this is Gaga's best album with some great songs... [as I stated in an above post] The reviews seem pretty good to me... but it is different... more different than ARTPOP, really, and so some people just aren't going to get it. It is interesting to see the reception but it really doesn't matter. As long as you like it. 

Gaga is rarely ever going to have everyone love her work because she truly does push boundaries [with this record more than ever before, really] And I think just the fact that Gaga is strong enough to release music that is intrinsically created as opposed to created with the latest trend in mind is enough to piss people off to her and the music altogether. 

I really do believe that Gaga actually is threatening to people. She has officially proven after releasing this album she really just does not care about chart success. This bothers people and makes them uneasy... even some of her fans. 

The Surrealist

Lady Gaga's "Joanne" takes you on a journey through a young Italian girl's life. 

I found myself loving this album. It's easy to listen to. It touches social commentaries but it does not exaggerate those.

Mostly, I think, it's her most cohesive work to date. Every song links into to each other except for "Perfect Illusion". I love the song, but every other song has a really oldschool vibe to it. This album was heavily inspired by Bob Dylan's lyricism, Stevie Nick's vocalism, The Beatles' beats and musical Neil Young aesthetics.

Gaga's voice powers through the whole album, it's raw, it's emotional. She sounds broken on a few records like "Angel Down" and "Joanne". Her "The Sound Of Music" classical vocals shine through, also.

Thr overall idea of this album is to go back in time and cut all the bullsh*t that surrounds the current world. Be free and live in peace.

Every genre on "Joanne" is a hommage to the great musicians and records of the past century. Soul, Funk, Country, Folk, but Pop at it's very heart.

Diamond Heart: I JUST WANT TO DANCE TO THIS SONG. YOUNG WILD AMERICAAAAAN.

10/10

A-Yo: I think it's good but forgettable. It Sounds too much like country MANiCURE.

7/10 

Joanne: It has an uplifting side to it, yet, it is very sad. It made my cry within the first minute. It is so touching and her voice sounds so vulnerable.

10/10

John Wayne: The whispering at the beginning is so amazing. I love the way she screams and how the chorus kicks in. 

10/10

Dancin in Circles: It sounds very Shakira and seductive. Love her vocals on this and the sitar in the background. Dancin In Circles feels good to be lonely. I also love the reference to Uptown Funk. The scream near the end ended my life.

10/10

Sinner's Prayer: I prefered the slowed down tempo of the live version, but her raspy voice makes up for it.

10/10

Come To Mama: I love how she pronounces the words, it's so fun. It has a holidays/60s vibe to it. I was surprised at how good it was, because I didn't like the snippet that much.

9/10

Hey Girl: The beat in the background gets repetetive very fast and I can only hear that drum beat after a while. The repetition of "Hey, Girl" is annoying. Gaga's voice sounds too soft. That song feels more like it was written for Florence instead of Gaga.

6/10

Angel Down: I thought of Hallelujah while hearing this. Instant classic. Very powerful lyrics. WHERE ARE OUR LEADERS?

10/10

Grigio Girls: It's catchy but not amazing.

7/10

Just Another Day: Stefani lives. Very Beatles like song.

8/10

Million Reasons and Perfect Illusion are both a 9/10 to me.

Overall: 8,84

Hey, I wasnt very happy with the ARTPOP album, but Joanne dissapointed me more. I think every song is the same, Gaga's voice is forced, sometimes seems she is screaming, theres no subtle tunes as there were earlier. I personally like "Million reasons" the most, coz this song at least has some nice tunes. Other songs didnt grab my attention :( Sorry :(

13 minutes ago, Neringa said:

Hey, I wasnt very happy with the ARTPOP album, but Joanne dissapointed me more. I think every song is the same, Gaga's voice is forced, sometimes seems she is screaming, theres no subtle tunes as there were earlier. I personally like "Million reasons" the most, coz this song at least has some nice tunes. Other songs didnt grab my attention :( Sorry :(

photo-thumb-13320.jpg

• HausOfMark unpinned this topic

Archived