Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

The Most Popular Music Genre In Every U.S. State

Serendipity

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

Very surprising, although it's hardly based on everyone per state. I know there's lots of Hispanics in Texas and Florida, but it's apparently the #1 genre in these states? Really surprising. If that's the case, why have Latin acts barely toured there, or anywhere in America, in recent years? And why are Adele and Elle apparently the #1 artists in these states if the #1 genre is Latin? Something isn't matching up. Extremely surprised that pop didn't occupy more states, especially on the east coast. On that note, Luke Bryan is also way more popular on the east coast than I would have ever imagined. I somehow have a hard time believing that country is still so big in America, though. The genre has been selling terribly for the last 3 years or so, bar one or two albums from guys (the women have taken a massive nosedive, even the biggest names like Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert are suffering).

On 02/03/2016 at 4:31 PM, Son of ARTPOP said:

:rip: Kinda glad most of US music is irrelevant in Europe. Basically two states match Europe - California, and the one next to it (Nevada? I think Las Vegas's there not sure). Tbh since 2013 even the BB charts have sucked big time. I'm not surprised at the country/indie rock domination but the rock/oldies got me like :air:. I thought it's a pop/EDM world we're living in. Guess we know nothing about music taste/we are just a niche and not representative for the majority. 

Pop music is far more of a niche than we think, despite the name. Just because there's all these pop songs by young artists in the top 10 doesn't mean it's the most popular type of music. If you factor in the other 95% of the population who didn't buy these songs, they're listening to something very different. If you're a fan of anything that isn't pop or urban music, you tend not to buy the singles. There are many reasons for this (such genres tend towards older fanbases who prefer to buy complete albums, mainly) but the plain fact is that certain genres just don't produce single-buyers. That's a young person's game and a "current" music lover's game. Honestly, when I ask anyone about music, the half of them don't have a clue what's at #1 and don't care, they just like what they like and follow that and that alone. In fact, most of them don't even buy music - they just buy their fave's stuff and play nostalgic old stuff. They're not interested in anyone new. And this is young as well as old. I'm actually very unusual in the way that I look at the charts every week and educate myself about new artists and listen to tons of albums a year. It was different back in the period before the internet, digital downloading and streaming. Back then, people just had to accept what the labels pumped out and what the media fed them. You took what you were given, there was no other way to listen to music. But now, the online realm has opened us up to a whole new world of music that we never knew about. It means that regardless of what's playing on the radio or being promoted on tv, we can listen to what we want, not what The Man wants. There are people who live a life completely cut off from popular music. They only buy and listen to music from genres and artists that they like. They keep their radio permanently tuned in to their favourite genre-specific station. They play the old hits but don't bother buying the new stuff. That describes most people of the world. The people buying all the current "popular" music are the minority. If 5 million people download a single in the US, that's great and all, but...there's over 322 million people in the US. Doesn't sound like that much of a majority popular sound when you put it like that, does it?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived