Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Why are many popstars average singers?

Quark

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Bebe said:

A huge booming voice just isn't part of the genre....

I mean, it would be like Opera singers or Jazz singers looking at Rock singers like "What's with the grunting and technique here?? These people can't sing like us!"

Pop vocals are generally very simple which makes them easy to sing along too. There are instances where singers/performers can make a good song with limited vocal ability, in some instances it's not about how big your voice is but how you use it.

Lily Allen for example is not a strong singer, but she uses her voice well and has very clever and witty lyrics that she writes herself. Lorde is not a Whitney type, but she has an interesting voice and uses great harmonies and writes like poetry. A great voice just isn't necessary in the genre of Pop.

Even looking at Gaga's earlier work, it can hardly be compared vocally to C2C and her recent performances. Gaga didn't need to have a huge voice in her early pop stuff because it's not part of the genre, it's not what people look for or expect from a pop track.

/thread 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also I thought I'd make it clear that this isn't just a female thing.

I've been bopping to this old song lately, simple song but it makes me feel good.

But if that's not a 'pop' song that people recognise it can be seen in artists like 5SOS or One Direction too and can be seen with many male bands and artists for decades under the pop/soft rock umbrella.

Lord Temptation

Monsters, we all know about The Fame. We know about money, honey, the paparazzi, the love games, the poker faces and all the boys, boys, boys. 

Haroon

Because being an amazing singer isn't a requirement to be a popstar :laughga: There are more parts to the package that make the whole show awesome :flutter: 

Lord Temptation
40 minutes ago, Haroon said:

Because being a singer isn't a requirement to be an amazing popstar :laughga: There are more parts to the package that make the whole show awesome :flutter: 

Being a terrible singer doesn't stop some from being amazing popstars. 

Haroon
Just now, Lord Temptation said:

Being a terrible singer doesn't stop some from being amazing popstars. 

Exactly :D Singing isn't the be all and end all

Lord Temptation
20 minutes ago, Haroon said:

Exactly :D Singing isn't the be all and end all

As long as the audience is entertained.

PaperIz

I knew it was gonna be a thread by you. :awkney: in short, a lot of them aren't just average singers because you don't like them. Half of those people on thst list are excellent singers. Like Miley? Who has a better range than...Gaga :rip:  you're just like determine to undermine every other artist aren't you?

Lord Temptation
19 minutes ago, PaperIz said:

I knew it was gonna be a thread by you. :awkney: in short, a lot of them aren't just average singers because you don't like them. Half of those people on thst list are excellent singers. Like Miley? Who has a better range than...Gaga :rip:  you're just like determine to undermine every other artist aren't you?

I think @Enigma has asked an interesting question. And no, I don't believe it to be a loaded question. It's perfectly legitimate to want to know why talented singers never become successful (perhaps busking on the street for a few measly dollars, or if they're lucky get into the top twelve of some awfully sterile televised reality show), when there are less capable singers who somehow become global superstars. It's a thought provoking discussion...if you give it some thought. 

PaperIz
2 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

I think @Enigma has asked an interesting question. And no, I don't believe it to be a loaded question. It's perfectly legitimate to want to know why talented singers never become successful (perhaps busking on the street for a few measly dollars, or if they're lucky get into the top twelve of some awfully sterile televised reality show), when there are less capable singers who somehow become global superstars. It's a thought provoking discussion...if you give it some thought. 

It doesn't make it a thought provoking discussion because he deems the singers of pop music average. It's based on idea that simply isn't true.

Lord Temptation
13 minutes ago, PaperIz said:

It doesn't make it a thought provoking discussion because he deems the singers of pop music average. It's based on idea that simply isn't true.

The only thing you have added to the discussion so far is that "@Enigma is wrong". 

PaperIz
1 minute ago, Lord Temptation said:

The only thing you have added to the discussion so far is that "@Enigma is wrong". 

Because he is, dear. :air: His entire argument is invalid.

They sold their soul first. They made the connections first. It coulda been anyone. It it can be anyone... in the future. :gaycat:

Xalser

Helxig

Because pop is 50% music, 50% image/visuals. Gaga just happens to have it all :) 

Although one thing I don't understand is, if they're going to be making millions off it, then why don't they actually re-invest some of that money into singing lessons??? Like, wouldn't you then want to make sure you have the talent when you ****ing travel the world singing? That just doesn't make sense to me. If I were picked up by a record label and given songs to sing, I would MAKE SURE I could actually sing them before going on tour (or going on TV... yikes). I'd take every bit of help I could get. 

I just feel like if you're a millionaire, and this is your CAREER, there's kinda no excuse to be mediocre at it. 

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

Lord Temptation
53 minutes ago, PaperIz said:

Because he is, dear. :air: His entire argument is invalid.

He did not present an argument, and neither have you. He only reflected on the observation that not all popular singers have exceptional talent. Some do, but most don't. You even agreed with this when you said that talent is only part of the overall package and not the "be all and end all".

Archived