other

Christina Aguilera's Last Solo Hit

Kanye West

Featured Posts

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond

I remember when this came out, I actually had hope for the Bionic era. She also had a song called Dynamite on her Greatest Hits collection to give another glimpse into her new era. And she released an amazing cover of Falling In Love Again. I thought this would be the kind of level of the album. Turned out, all we got was something halfway decent, not indicative of 4 years work, with a last minute addition of a terrible song (Not Myself Tonight) and songs on the deluxe that were better than the standard. It was no wonder people gave up on her if that's the best they were going to get after a 4 year wait. She also had a great lead single of Your Body that would've been a hit for anyone else but because it was Xtina, following on from her last flop, it was doomed to fail. Her follow up single didn't even get a video. She had brief moments of normality again by featuring on tracks by Maroon 5, Pitbull and A Great Big World but honestly, apart from Moves Like Jagger, I don't think most people even realise it's her singing on these songs and it's not like the other ones were massive hits either. You'd think after all these features, she'd actually have the good foundation for a comeback, like everyone else, but I just don't think it's possible for her, especially considering how long she's been taking to give a follow up to her last flop. Her only hope now is that a massive star or a massive producer allows her to feature on a chart baiting single. But even then, her chances are still slim. And at 34, she's not exactly young enough to start a comeback especially considering she started flopping in her 20's and hasn't had a solo hit for a decade (top ten doesn't mean a hit, it has to have impact and she hasn't had that since her Back To Basics era or even the Stripped era if you're being really strict). All she can hope for at this point is to at least have good, not mixed, critical reception for her new album, a top 20 lead single and another Grammy nomination, even if it's not a win. Hoping for gold sales in the US or a top 10 single just isn't realistic. I mean, even after all her years of massive sales in the US, Mariah can't even get top 10 anymore. It's just not possible after a certain age and commercial downturn.

TropicOfCANCER
9 hours ago, Fame Romance said:

It was not a hit :toofunny:

I love her, but her last actual hit was Lady Marmalade, or maybe Beautiful, then she has been progressively forgotten by the GP. 

Aint no other man says hello.

TropicOfCANCER
5 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I remember when this came out, I actually had hope for the Bionic era. She also had a song called Dynamite on her Greatest Hits collection to give another glimpse into her new era. And she released an amazing cover of Falling In Love Again. I thought this would be the kind of level of the album. Turned out, all we got was something halfway decent, not indicative of 4 years work, with a last minute addition of a terrible song (Not Myself Tonight) and songs on the deluxe that were better than the standard. It was no wonder people gave up on her if that's the best they were going to get after a 4 year wait. She also had a great lead single of Your Body that would've been a hit for anyone else but because it was Xtina, following on from her last flop, it was doomed to fail. Her follow up single didn't even get a video. She had brief moments of normality again by featuring on tracks by Maroon 5, Pitbull and A Great Big World but honestly, apart from Moves Like Jagger, I don't think most people even realise it's her singing on these songs and it's not like the other ones were massive hits either. You'd think after all these features, she'd actually have the good foundation for a comeback, like everyone else, but I just don't think it's possible for her, especially considering how long she's been taking to give a follow up to her last flop. Her only hope now is that a massive star or a massive producer allows her to feature on a chart baiting single. But even then, her chances are still slim. And at 34, she's not exactly young enough to start a comeback especially considering she started flopping in her 20's and hasn't had a solo hit for a decade (top ten doesn't mean a hit, it has to have impact and she hasn't had that since her Back To Basics era or even the Stripped era if you're being really strict). All she can hope for at this point is to at least have good, not mixed, critical reception for her new album, a top 20 lead single and another Grammy nomination, even if it's not a win. Hoping for gold sales in the US or a top 10 single just isn't realistic. I mean, even after all her years of massive sales in the US, Mariah can't even get top 10 anymore. It's just not possible after a certain age and commercial downturn.

are u serious? "Say Something" was a smash.

Also, i agree with your post unfortunately. She's really waited too long and not seized any of the opportunities she's been given. A real shame. 

StrawberryBlond
4 minutes ago, TropicOfCANCER said:

are u serious? "Say Something" was a smash.

Just in a few English speaking regions. Don't let all the worldwide top ten positions fool you. For such a "hit", the video only has 264 million views in the 3 years of release and it only has 1.4 million likes despite apparently over 5 million US sales alone. It didn't get people talking about Xtina again or get interested in buying her work again (same for all the other features). That's unusual because normally doing a feature results in a sudden interest in the featured artist's discography. Like I said, it was like nobody even knew it was her on the track. She's become completely anonymous in the public's eyes, except to bash her.

Katsuki Bakugo
10 hours ago, Imperial POP said:

Bionic was sabotaged and Lotus was terrible. Christina wrote a public letter to her fans when the #JusticeForBionic trend blew up which confirmed that the album was sabotaged.

I need proof! 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

GlitterAndGrease

Her last solo #1 hit was released in 2000 (Come on over baby)

Her last #1 hit in general was in 2001 (Lady Marmalade)

Her last solo top 5 hit was in 2002 (Beautiful, #2)

Don't y'all dare to call Gaga a flop again...

Prismatic

D.M.F is coming for you and your blasphemy because Godly Body peaked at the top 40 and reach n amounts of views. 

I Only Stan For Risk Takers

4 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Kinda true (it hurts to say that as a die hard fan)

but, on the other hand, Mariah had her HUGE comeback with 35 until 38 and delivered 3 No.1 Singles, many top 10 hits and additional +15M album sales. Her last 'big' Song was in 2014 with #Beautiful peaking at #15. not THAT bad - I mean great for 44 and 24 years in the industry.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

Archived