new video

Taylor Swift - Out of the Woods

Prismatic

Featured Posts

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
freebit

It was ok, but very juvenile and kind of tacky. It reminded me that she's still that woman that is probably still into all that YA romance book nonsense. Like, IDK how to describe it exactly, but this feels like the exact sort of thing that would appeal to a young Mormon mom with a Pinterest account. 

It reminds me of Kelly Clarkson's Behind These Hazel Eyes too (pretty dresses, falling into a pile of mud, same color palette, a woman "finding herself" after heartbreak etc). Speaking of which, I totally think she's going to go into a similar trajectory as far as audience goes (mid-western moms as her main fanbase).

CrownClown
10 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Lovely visuals but cheesy as hell, especially all that falling and the beginning and end quote. She probably thought she was doing something so original for this video but in reality, it's the most predictable direction she could've taken. I've seen this type of music video many times. The whole running away from your fears, a battle against oneself, finding oneself, etc. It's usually executed with this type of scenary as well. I can't detect any real story from it - those quotes didn't enhance the story at all, it was nothing but artsy running and falling, no real plot. Nothing more than an excuse to show pretty backgrounds and to generate lots of "Taylor is so gorgeous!" squeeing in the comments section. As usual, Taylor is the queen of bland and inoffensive. But I will say this - I think it did cause me to like the song more. It was on the brink of ok anyway but this tipped it into good song territory, even with all the repetition. Still a bad album overall, though.

Of course the lyrics are relevant as the visuals to a music video are supposed to bring the lyrics to life. Not all of us judge a music video purely on its visuals. We also have to take into account if the lyrics match the timing, match the visuals, enhance the lyrics. Ironically, being disparaging towards "cool, edgy and artsy fartsy" is going against exactly what Taylor is doing with this video. Repition appeals to some, not so to others. I depends what our individual ears pick up.

@Chic is trying to make money off her songwriting and she hired someone to sing her lyrics. She aspires to write for others as well. But as I've seen from her lyrics, she is a much better songwriter than Taylor. There is no need for her to take inspiration from a woman who continues to write like a teenager despite being 26 and living like an adult for years. Songwriting shouldn't be about making money, it's about the music and we shouldn't have to take inspiration from people who we don't even like just because they're rolling in cash due to some generic tunes that they made for the mindless public.

Just because someone doesn't like something you like, it doesn't mean they're trying to go against the tide to be cool. It might just be their own opinion, believe it or not.

Not all the videos have to match the lyrics. See Telephone and many Gaga videos.
The lyrics are relevant, of course. But the topic is about the video for the song, and all she did was commenting on "what a masterpiece" the chorus lyrics are and trying to imply she's better than Taylor.
I wish her all the best, really. I hope her dream comes true. But being arrogant and full of herself is not gonna help.
I don't know her, I'm just saying this based on her post.
She may be better, but the millions of Taylor fans don't think so. And sorry but It's ALWAYS good to take inspiration from someone, even if you don't like him/her. Especially from someone who MADE IT. 
I don't know if she's a better songwriter than Taylor. But I do know that the music industry is full of songwriters that are better than Taylor. Better than her, better than Gaga, better than Adele, better than Björk and so on. And there are many talented persons that just don't make it, even if they are phenomenal and one of a kind.
Adele, for example. Her lyrics are easy to understand and very predictable. Even cheesy. But guess what? She's critically acclaimed and setting records left and right with a song that says "Hello, it's me" and "Hello from the other side, I must have called a thousand times". Taylor has many Grammys too and sells millions of songs and albums, that has to mean something right? I'll help; it means the critics like her work and that people like her songs and lyrics.
Anyway it's not only about the "quality" of the lyrics but also the melody and the way you have to sing them.
I think it's better being 26 and writing like a teenager than being maybe 18 and trying so hard to seem mature and deep. Let your work speak for itself. If it's good, you'll get what you're looking for.

Believe it or not, there are many ways to say something and state an opinion. And she chose the wrong way.

Redstreak

Queen writes all her songs and does her own stunts :giveup:

tumblr_o0ajc1Fzd31s5f2owo1_540.jpg

tumblr_o0akrsC7nD1rohco5o1_540.jpg

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

15 hours ago, Bloody said:

Nice visuals Taylor, the video is pretty good and the song really catchy. :yay:

Welcome back to GGD Guille, Happy New Year. :happy:

OMG It's been so long. Thank you! Happy New Year for you too :nick::nick:

Creyk
5 hours ago, Redstreak said:

Queen writes all her songs and does her own stunts :giveup:

tumblr_o0akrsC7nD1rohco5o1_540.jpg

Oh well that is nasty

Doesn't she have stunt doubles to do those kinds of things for her? :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Redstreak
7 minutes ago, Creyk said:

Oh well that is nasty

Doesn't she have stunt doubles to do those kinds of things for her? :wtf::wtf::wtf:

Implying that it's genetically possible for someone to near resemble her beauty :wtf: 

Take a moment to think of just flexibility, love, and trust~

Creyk
Just now, Redstreak said:

Implying that it's genetically possible for someone to near resemble her beauty :wtf: 

Hmm, well...she was covered in mud so it's doable.

But you have a point there, I'll give you that.

SS2iHh4.gif

PaperIz

I really love the video! The only think that irks me is that they used the message from "Clean" at the end of this. Why not just make Clean the single? I suspect this is the last video from the era since they used it.

liquidsunshine

It's not bad, very Shakira's whenever wherever. However, the tacky message is a big NO.

Archived