opinion

Let's take a look back at the official poster

Davidsonary

Featured Posts

Liz wearing her look from the flashback episode I suppose is a reference to her backstory?

Sally standing over her victim?

Putting 'Jimmy' and Will in a parallel to each other reflecting how they both share a lot in common, in terms of their marriage and...well, spoilers.

Bradley
11 hours ago, Davidsonary said:

For me:

1. Mr. March and Will Drake standing on each side of the top floor representing the old and new owner of the hotel.

2. John and Alex staring at each other at the bottom foreshadowing tension in their relationship. Alex doesn't have a ring on her finger as well = divorce.

3. Scarlett looking bored and lonely cause she is being abandoned.

4. Liz and the kids. Maybe she will take over the kids when the Countess dies.

I see those connections too but Ramona and Sally are kinda positioned randomly though, any interpretation?

2 minutes ago, AmericanHSlave said:

I see those connections too but Ramona and Sally are kinda positioned randomly though, any interpretation?

Ramona's looking to her left with her body facing right, which might mean she's too preoccupied with the past to care where her future goes. (It's widely accepted amongst practices of divination that the left signifies the past and the right is the future.) It's a stretch, but it's all I can think of. 

CRYSTAL CASTLES // AMNESTY (I)

Bradley
1 minute ago, Spooky said:

Ramona's looking to her left with her body facing right, which might mean she's too preoccupied with the past to care where her future goes. (It's widely accepted amongst practices of divination that the left signifies the past and the right is the future.) It's a stretch, but it's all I can think of. 

Hmm, a little bit of a reach but interesting interpretation.

On 12/23/2015 at 10:29 AM, AmericanHSlave said:

On 12/23/2015 at 10:35 AM, Spooky said:

Well you can also notice that Liz Taylor is under Tristan and Ramona is under Donovan.I want to be careful about creating any spoilers for the last episode in case some people still have not watched it so I'll put it in here:

Spoiler

Ramona and Liz are a "hair's breadth away" from The Countess, as the popular idiom goes. Donovan was the catalyst for Ramona being able to try and get her revenge, Tristan was the catalyst for Liz planning her murder of The Countess.

In terms of Sally being positioned there, this might be a reach, but you will notice that the children are placed above John. This could symbolise that for Alex the children are "above" him in terms of her motivations. Sally is above Alex, potentially signifying that John's addictions and his affair with Sally are being placed above Alex.

Alex's love of her children/complete devotion to Holden and John's addictions/affair are the cause of the divide between them.

Pacify Him

Maybe I just don't notice it but where's the part in this season that is inspired by The Shining? Other than the Gaga posters, of course.

Also Wes Bentley looking hot af in that pose tho

I’m getting on your nerves

Davidsonary
1 hour ago, Bebe said:

Well you can also notice that Liv Taylor is under Tristan and Ramona is under Donovan.I want to be careful about creating any spoilers for the last episode in case some people still have not watched it so I'll put it in here:

Hide contents

Ramona and Liv are a "hair's breadth away" from The Countess, as the popular idiom goes. Donovan was the catalyst for Ramona being able to try and get her revenge, Tristan was the catalyst for Liv planning her murder of The Countess.

In terms of Sally being positioned there, this might be a reach, but you will notice that the children are placed above John. This could symbolise that for Alex the children are "above" him in terms of her motivations. Sally is above Alex, potentially signifying that John's addictions and his affair with Sally are being placed above Alex.

Alex's love of her children/complete devotion to Holden and John's addictions/affair are the cause of the divide between them.

Wow that's some detective level observation you have there. :applause:

Oh hello. What is this space down here? Where am I?

Davidsonary
1 hour ago, Satyromaniac said:

Maybe I just don't notice it but where's the part in this season that is inspired by The Shining? Other than the Gaga posters, of course.

Also Wes Bentley looking hot af in that pose tho

The kids in the hallway, the decoration of the hotel itself, John slowly going into madness as the story progresses. That's just a few that popped up in my head at the moment,

Oh hello. What is this space down here? Where am I?

I may as well sort of decode the entire poster, because I'm nerdy and I like this sort of stuff.

At the top left is Mr. March, the original owner of the hotel, with Miss Evers his assistant. At the top right is Will Drake, the current owner of the hotel, with his son Lachlan. In the middle, but slightly below, is The Countess. She married both Mr. March and Will Drake for the Hotel, however she never really loved them which is why they are more distant.

On the left, below Mr. March and closer to The Countess, is Tristan. The actor Finn Wittrock also played Valentino so there is a connection once again between the old owner who she married and her old secret love. On the right, below Will Drake and closer to The Countess, is Donovan. She was with Donovan again as she married Will Drake, so there is a parallel and symbolism again over the characters above who love her and marry her and the ones close to her being her true love of the time. (While also of course hinting at the love triangle between The Countess, Tristan and Donovan)

As we follow The Countess's hair down at the bottom left we see Liz Taylor and bottom right is Ramona Royale. Liz is below Tristan and Ramona is below Donovan.
Spoiler from last episode:

Spoiler

Donovan is the catalyst that allows Ramona to attempt to murder The Countess and her children. Tristan is the catalyst for Liz's plan to murder The Countess.

John and Alex Lowe are at the bottom center of the poster. They are slightly separated and their bodies are turned away from each other signifying their divorce and relationship troubles. The reasons for this separation and relationship breakdown can be seen above their heads.

Above John in the image is Holden and the rest of the children, they signify that Alex is placing her complete devoted love to Holden above her (ex) husband John. Above Alex is Sally and a drugged Gabriel, this is symbolizing how John's addictions and affair with Sally is being placed above his (ex) wife Alex. These are the factors leading to the breakdown of this family.

Also featured on the poster is Scarlett, abandoned on the steps as she is abandoned by John and Alex, and Iris who is tucked to the bottom left behind the checkout desk as a character who sees and knows all that is going on in the Hotel.

Other little bits of symbolism: The long hair of The Countess not only shows she is glamorous but is a hint at how long she has lived as well as a Shining reference, the junkie next to Sally hints as her role as the drug addict who tempts others, the outfit of Liz is the outfit she wore when she decided to live as a woman and is a hint to her past.

Archived