💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

question

Besides being a bad bitch, what does Rihanna offer?

UmbriaWitch

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

What's this everyone's saying about Rihanna being a good singer? Even at her best, she's average. And she certainly doesn't try much in live performances, if public reviews of her concerts are to go by. She relies heavily on playback and is pretty lazy in her general delivery. And she certainly isn't unique. I've heard similar voices like hers from other Carribean girls and just black girls in general, plus she sounds a lot like Sia (some even said that she based her vocals on Sia's considering how much work Sia made for her). You only think she sounds unique because there's very few female Carribean voices on the radio and in the media at large. I've said for years that Rihanna simply doesn't provide anything either. I think an artist, to call themselves an artist, must have some level of musical talent. And with Rihanna, there is absolutely nothing in that field. As said above, she can't sing all that well. Most people can have some level of singing that's passable and she doesn't have higher than that. She writes very little of her work and produces even less. She can't play an instrument. She can't even dance all that well. So, where does the talent or the artistry come in?

Now, it's always been hard admitting to being a Britney fan because she's the only one of my favourite artists who don't seem to have notable talent. But I always make clear that she could sing well, once. If you look back on old footage of her as a kid, when she sang jazz, soul and country, what a great singer she was. The industry moulded and changed her into their vision and made her change her voice and sing songs that didn't suit her natural talent and I think she forgot it over time. And she could dance amazingly in the beginning, but her life changes made that more difficult (they say she's better at her residency, though). She can play piano too, even though she rarely does that now. And she has made more of an effort to play a role in her songwriting at times and she co-wrote every song on Britney Jean. Ok, she may have written as little as one word, but still, that's more than some other legendary singers can claim. So, even with Britney, there's stuff I can find to defend her. But Rihanna...I'm stumped.

Madonna sings ok live, not when dancing but has a good voice for ballads (Drowned World at Confessions Tour). 

I "hate" Rihanna not because of "her" music (She does not write anything, just sings. Other people make everything for her, she justs puts the vocals and that's it) i hate her because she used the abuse thing with Chris Brown to sell records, and I find that disgusting af. So many women are being killed by men in the world and my mom suffered abuse from my father. A woman in pain would never use this pain to sell any song. Your ex-boyfirend punches you in the face and what you do is make some singles with him? totally bye! (sorry for bad english :flirt:)

And for anyone offended by what I said, if she doesn't have respect for women do not expect me to respect her. 

Thank you for saying this. It's so good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. This is the biggest reason why her Unapologetic album is so bad to me. Normally, it's against my principles to judge an album based on the singer's personal life or personality...unless they make the songs about those things. And Unapologetic is all about her love for Chris and how she just can't quit him. And it disgusts me. I don't know how she has any fans left after that album considering that 99% of them were totally anti-Chris and hated the fact that she got back with him. If the album was just all about an average up and down relationship, I wouldn't have hated on it so much but no, it was about glamourising an abusive relationship and that is not ok. Rihanna may say she doesn't want to be a role model but regardless, she is a role model for thousands of very young fans who now might think going back to an abuser is ok. Makes me want to heave.

And yes, that's the line I use too whenever it gets pointed out that I'm a feminist putting down a woman - I'll respect women who deserve it. If they can't respect other women, how can I, as a feminist who supports women, support them?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KURUSHITOVSKA

What's this everyone's saying about Rihanna being a good singer? Even at her best, she's average. And she certainly doesn't try much in live performances, if public reviews of her concerts are to go by. She relies heavily on playback and is pretty lazy in her general delivery. And she certainly isn't unique. I've heard similar voices like hers from other Carribean girls and just black girls in general, plus she sounds a lot like Sia (some even said that she based her vocals on Sia's considering how much work Sia made for her). You only think she sounds unique because there's very few female Carribean voices on the radio and in the media at large. I've said for years that Rihanna simply doesn't provide anything either. I think an artist, to call themselves an artist, must have some level of musical talent. And with Rihanna, there is absolutely nothing in that field. As said above, she can't sing all that well. Most people can have some level of singing that's passable and she doesn't have higher than that. She writes very little of her work and produces even less. She can't play an instrument. She can't even dance all that well. So, where does the talent or the artistry come in?

Now, it's always been hard admitting to being a Britney fan because she's the only one of my favourite artists who don't seem to have notable talent. But I always make clear that she could sing well, once. If you look back on old footage of her as a kid, when she sang jazz, soul and country, what a great singer she was. The industry moulded and changed her into their vision and made her change her voice and sing songs that didn't suit her natural talent and I think she forgot it over time. And she could dance amazingly in the beginning, but her life changes made that more difficult (they say she's better at her residency, though). She can play piano too, even though she rarely does that now. And she has made more of an effort to play a role in her songwriting at times and she co-wrote every song on Britney Jean. Ok, she may have written as little as one word, but still, that's more than some other legendary singers can claim. So, even with Britney, there's stuff I can find to defend her. But Rihanna...I'm stumped.

Thank you for saying this. It's so good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. This is the biggest reason why her Unapologetic album is so bad to me. Normally, it's against my principles to judge an album based on the singer's personal life or personality...unless they make the songs about those things. And Unapologetic is all about her love for Chris and how she just can't quit him. And it disgusts me. I don't know how she has any fans left after that album considering that 99% of them were totally anti-Chris and hated the fact that she got back with him. If the album was just all about an average up and down relationship, I wouldn't have hated on it so much but no, it was about glamourising an abusive relationship and that is not ok. Rihanna may say she doesn't want to be a role model but regardless, she is a role model for thousands of very young fans who now might think going back to an abuser is ok. Makes me want to heave.

And yes, that's the line I use too whenever it gets pointed out that I'm a feminist putting down a woman - I'll respect women who deserve it. If they can't respect other women, how can I, as a feminist who supports women, support them?

T H A N K Y O U :worship:

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

DrewStevens

She has a decent and recognizable voice, she is attractive and she takes good pics for her instagram. She obviously has some things but I get how people could think that she has nothing to offer. Without her s-x appeal she wouldn't be famous.

politicqxs

I like rih. 

giving up sodomy and moving to 🇦🇪 converting to ☪ and marrying four girls

Madonna sings ok live, not when dancing but has a good voice for ballads (Drowned World at Confessions Tour). 

I "hate" Rihanna not because of "her" music (She does not write anything, just sings. Other people make everything for her, she justs puts the vocals and that's it) i hate her because she used the abuse thing with Chris Brown to sell records, and I find that disgusting af. So many women are being killed by men in the world and my mom suffered abuse from my father. A woman in pain would never use this pain to sell any song. Your ex-boyfirend punches you in the face and what you do is make some singles with him? totally bye! (sorry for bad english :flirt:)

And for anyone offended by what I said, if she doesn't have respect for women do not expect me to respect her. 

Are you a woman? Did you go through what she went through? If not that's not your place to say what she can or cannot do with her pain. Like Oprah said when they asked her what she thought about Rihanna getting back with Chris Brown, she needs to go through what she needs to go through and that's Nobody Business (lol). It's really misogynous of you to say she doesn't respect herself or other women.

GloZell Green

Her music and visuals. I'm just sort of disappointed about her hinted motto "Bling not the music" and the fact that she still collabed with Chris despite the situation that occurred. Nonetheless, I still stan for her.

Lady Gaga | Shakira

She has earworms that invade every time she is played on the radio and you can not help but start loving her songs, even if you fight it.

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Archived