Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
opinion

Why Adele becoming The Queen of Pop makes sense

Adelephant

Featured Posts

Didymus

"It's easily arguable that it might be the most successful album ever released."

:sharon:

It's arguable, but not easily and it's not even convincing.

I also think you completely ignored the cultural shift that happened in the entertainment industry, as a conclusion of technological advancement and changes in the psychological zeitgeist. Madonna doesn't fit in because she represents a next stage in the pop cutural development, one where multi-leveled entertainment becomes more important than a one-sided talent exposé.

Therefore it's easier to argue that Madonna represents the icon that has to be surpassed by the next queen of "pop" (though that word is so problematic at this point that I don't even think anyone will ever be called that ever again) while Adele, against that background, can be seen (and is seen) as a resurgence of a nostalgic sense of showmanship.

It might make her brutally successful, but it will not drive pop culture into a next level and eventually, Madonna has set the mould for entertainers to influence culture on as many levels as possible, something Adele has simply not done yet or even tried to.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KURUSHITOVSKA

She can be the Queen of Soul but they named Amy before. Since when a Queen of Pop does not dance? 

¿Qué currículum tiene ésta tarántula?

gagzus

Sick & tired of all these people trying to say someone is the new queen of pop, we literally won't know for at least another decade or two who it is, but most of the evidence suggests Gaga because she's the most like Madonna and she has many things madonna doesn't have which give her the edge. 

I don't know how Adel is going to be called im the future and I don't think it matters much. The great thing about her, however, is that she shows and proces that only music should matter in the music industry, not all of the gimmicks, nudity, scandals and dressing-ups that her competitors need. :)

If selling a lot of albums is the only thing it takes to become the "Queen of pop" then yeah, I guess you could call her that :miley: 

Her universal appeal comes from her soulful, strong, and beautiful voice and relatable, stripped down music. She's all about simplicity.

This is your opinion. I could very easily say her universal appeals comes from her bland nature. The fact that she doesn't stand for anything makes her universally relatable. There is no statement behind her persona. She's literally a Pop-Ballad making machine.

All she needs on stage is a microphone and a live band to capture the attention of most people.

There's loads of pop stars who can actually do this who don't get the same recognition as Adele. It doesn't explain Adele's success.

While I'm a big fan of Adele, I think putting her on the same level as Madonna is honestly silly. Borderline insulting to Madonna's career.

Oh, I'm just visiting-

Head Empty

Even though she is amazing, Adele didn't "do" anything big. For example, Madonna changed the music scene and did things never did before. Same with Gaga (and don't start oh gaga didn't had this that bla bla bla). They had impact.

Adele had impact on music sales, but other than that, I didn't see any changes :shrug:

I don't think that's true though. Adele might not revolutionize the music industry, but she always seems to remind people what classic, timeless, personal music sounds like (arguably). When music gets too crazy or too much stuck in trends and gimmicks, she's one of the main artist that always breaks away from them by keeping it simple and emotional - and she's majorly succesful with it.

So although she isn't actively changing the music industry, I also feel like the music industry today wouldn't be the same if it weren't for her constant reminders that quality vocals, arrangements and lyrics can always trump being trendy.

Sidenote: I know that "quality" is subjective, but this seems to be what the majority of people can agree upon.

Happiness will never last, darkness comes to kick your ass... ‎ ᵃˢˢ 🕺

Her voice isn't enough. She needs to revolutionize pop music if she wants to be the new Queen of Pop. :coffee:

All I ever wanted was 🅻🅾🆅🅴

You should have googled some more of those female singers. Mentioning Helene Fischer alone contradicts your whole point. She is nowhere near someone like Adele or Edith Piaf, she is basically just a poor mans Madonna, favorite of all Oktoberfest lovers. Nothing but cheap german schlager music with pseudo dance influences here and there. That's why she WAS popular. 

Other than that I agree with others, that Adele is not really pop. She will remain one of the most successful female artists in music history, but not Queen of pop.

If Helene combined local music (German schlager) with international dance pop influences, that at least is something original. Comparable to Shania Twain or Taylor Swift doing country and pop.

Doing ballads in the tradition of black soul and R&B is nothing original. People like Celine Dion and Beyonce aren't declared pop queens just because they have big sales. Likewise Adele.

It only makes sense for Gaga to be the queen of pop....she can do it all, sing in that traditional elegant way, but also put on a more energetic show. I think she is overall a more gifted performer and used to be more driven too, I just wish she didn't have so so many personal problems holding her back from being all that she could be.

I don't think that's true though. Adele might not revolutionize the music industry, but she always seems to remind people what classic, timeless, personal music sounds like (arguably). When music gets too crazy or too much stuck in trends and gimmicks, she's one of the main artist that always breaks away from them by keeping it simple and emotional - and she's majorly succesful with it.

So although she isn't actively changing the music industry, I also feel like the music industry today wouldn't be the same if it weren't for her constant reminders that quality vocals, arrangements and lyrics can always trump being trendy.

Sidenote: I know that "quality" is subjective, but this seems to be what the majority of people can agree upon.

Yeah, I agree on that. Sometimes we do need something more "natural". But, people will eventually bored of it. Looks like the title of Queen of Pop is bipolar :laughga: Maybe currently she is, but maybe next year it will change (although, it all depends on people)

I like dancin', and ponies....

bayonse

The queen of Pop in Bulgaria is also the one with the biggest voice :rip: I never thought about that tbh....   And the Queen of Pop Folk is also the one who has the best voice !

Who is the queen of Pop Folk tho? Preslava? :lolga:

no more parties in LA

Archived