Die With A Smile Music Video Banner
question

Has Adele surpassed Madonna?

Adelephant

Featured Posts

Adelephant

Although Madonna has been around for many decades, it seems to me like Adele is much more respected and relies on talent (instead of gimmicks)

- Her album '21' sold 30 million copies. Madonna's best selling album sold 25 million copies at a time when record sales were exponentially higher. 

- Adele gets #1's without trying. She doesn't need to reinvent herself or shock the audiences. She can sell 1M+ based on the power of her music alone.

- Longevity. Adele's hit singles are timeless. While Madonna has songs that are remembered, they feel more like throwbacks to the 80s and a joke (Material Girl, Like A Virgin, etc). Songs like Someone Like You will always sound good because they are genuinely good music. 

- Adele is liked by everyone. Her music speaks to everyone and her personality isn't polarizing. Adele has a bigger pool of fans that will keep her legendary for decades to come, while Madonna's legacy has become tarnished. 

What do you think? 

giphy.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GloZell Green

NOT REALLY imo, but in terms of recent album releases :awkney:  Get ready for the Madonesters attacks :lolly:

Lady Gaga | Shakira

Didymus

"While Madonna has songs that are remembered, they feel more like throwbacks to the 80s and a joke"

:air:

I mean.. you're talking about songs that have remained popular and classic for more than thirty years. Who knows what people will say when they hear Rolling in the Deep in thirty years. I don't know, that's kind of a weird, groundless comment to make imo. And it's also kind of funny since more than one music critic has already called Adele's music kind of a sonic throwback.

Anyway, I think they're two entirely different artists and any comparison is bound to lead to the obvious: why are you even comparing in the first place? I see no good reason.

The only thing I will say is, though, that Madonna single-handedly defined what pop stars could do and still do very early on in her career. Adele may have the timeless hits, but I don't see her having the impact on a cultural level that Madonna has.

Cocaine Heart

Adele is liked by everyone because she is vanilla.
Completely disagree about the 'timeless thing', it's to soon to tell with Adele and Madonna has a lot of 'timeless' songs.

We going to boo

mariomania1234

In my opinion, no. They really can't be compared IMO. Two different types of artist. Both brilliant in their own ways.

Shattered

Adele has a bigger pool of fans that will keep her legendary for decades to come, while Madonna's legacy has become tarnished.

Let's see if this actualizes before we answer this silly question.

Having big album/single sales after about 5 years of relevance doesn't solidify you as a legend. It's remaining a record breaking icon after 30 years in the business. No one will be able to have the same impact that Madonna has had on music/fashion/culture unless they can prove that they themselves can be timeless.

Fiona Apple

She is bigger now than what Madonna has ever been.But overall Madonna obviously has a more successful career

Fiona Apple

"While Madonna has songs that are remembered, they feel more like throwbacks to the 80s and a joke"

:air:

I mean.. you're talking about songs that have remained popular and classic for more than thirty years. Who knows what people will say when they hear Running in the Deep in thirty years. I don't know, that's kind of a weird, groundless comment to make imo. And it's also kind of funny since more than one music critic has already called Adele's music kind of a sonic throwback.

Really? :excuseu:

Born To Slay

1. Madonna had multiple massive albums, let's see if Adele can as well.

2. That means nothing, I'm sick of people praising her for this. The way she sells music is just different, not special or praiseworthy. Madonna or other pop acts being a spectacle doesn't make their success less impressive.

3. She only has a couple hits and they were a few years ago. You're really gonna compare them too iconic singles like "Like A Virgin", "Like A Prayer", "Vouge, "Holiday", etc? Songs that are iconic to this day? They're not treated as a joke as many publications still include Madonna albums in their best of all time lists.

4. One could argue that will make her less legendary and more forgettable as time goes on. And Madonna's fan base ain't dead yet, her tours continue to slay. Let's see I'd Adele can still sellout MSG in 25 years.

She is bigger now than what Madonna has ever been.But overall Madonna obviously has a more successful career

No. What a joke. Stop being delusional. Madonna's peak is the biggest among females. Madonna was revolutionary back then. Adele doesn't bring anything new to the table. She just do her own thing and sells millions. But she doesn't change the game. 

Archived