Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th
opinion

The Countess's accent.

giskardsb

Featured Posts

giskardsb

Watching the premiere a couple of times, combined with the preview of upcoming shows, it seems to me that the Countess puts on an "accent" when she's in "public" but is more unguarded and natural in private.   It's like she's playing a role when she's not just with her intimate companions.  I have a feeling that the accent changes, rather than being as some have claimed a mark of "uneven" acting on Gaga's part, are actually part of the role.   We'll find out more I'm sure as we get further into the Countess's backstory.

andy232000

i noticed this too. when she was with donovan she was all normal (cause its her lover of 20 years), and when will drake came on she put on a full show. and in the preview for the next episode she said she has two sides (the light one that the world wants to see, and the dark one where you have to hide the real you)

i just noticed the accent the full way through the episode, at some points its really thick and seems to much put on. 

Brooke Hoegan

Yes, I think that the character, Elisabeth is putting the accent on to elevate herself, not Gaga to elevate her acting.

Hauser

That's an interesting observation, Im going to end up rewatching the episode at some point this weekend so I'll be curious to see this.

andy232000

That's an interesting observation, Im going to end up rewatching the episode at some point this weekend so I'll be curious to see this.

its less prominent when she´s alone with Donovan. the few lines after the orgy or when donovan wakes up she actually doesnt have an accent. and when she is with lachlan is a little toned down but still there.

Mister Gaga

its less prominent when she´s alone with Donovan. the few lines after the orgy or when donovan wakes up she actually doesnt have an accent. and when she is with lachlan is a little toned down but still there.

She acts kinda 'rude' or sarcastic when she's with him, and 'friendly' when she's with Lachlan and his father imo 

djBuffoon

hmm If Elizabeth has close ties to the early days of cinema, as Ryan said, it would make sense that her accent and presentation changes depending on what she wants and who she's with.

Watch Bette Davis in All About Eve for a great example of this.

crybrowz

I noticed her accent around 0:20 was very strange and different than how she usually spoke. The accents confuse me too.  Also she has a different accent when she says "Your boy has a jawline for days"

Rat Boy

hmm If Elizabeth has close ties to the early days of cinema, as Ryan said, it would make sense that her accent and presentation changes depending on what she wants and who she's with.

Watch Bette Davis in All About Eve for a great example of this.

Really good example!

"I am a Walmart version of Rat Boy!” - River

River

It's more than public and private..
 it's a matter of to brag about her richness and "act" or to be free and real.

The accent is a way to brag, "I'm rich", look at my fancy clothes, my art, I'm the owner of this fancy hotel and also a play, she needs to play to keep her value and status.

When she's not using the accent, she's with "home" clothes, she's happy, free, doing what she wants..

I'm working late, cause I'm a puta

Archived