Joker 2 Out October 4th Banner
review

61/100 American Horror Story Season 5 on Metacritic - 52% on RT

ViviLittleM

Featured Posts

davidmonster

Isn't this the same review that came out before the premiere Saturday night?

Yes it's this one  :yes:

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davidsonary

The first episode was the first thing she filmed. I'm pretty sure she will get better as the season progresses. Taylor will help her out.

Either way I'm way stoked for this season. Why is it still Monday??

Oh hello. What is this space down here? Where am I?

Bad Monster Kid

The first episode was the first thing she filmed. I'm pretty sure she will get better as the season progresses. Taylor will help her out.

Either way I'm way stoked for this season. Why is it still Monday??

Tbh it's not fair to judge her acting based on one or two scenes.

At least it's a good review for the show and I'm perched to see more reviews come in. 

Warholian

Is that the highest for any season so far?

Kevin Parker, Mac Demarco, Mark Ronson, and a stoned Lady Gaga. Need I say more?

Davidsonary

Tbh it's not fair to judge her acting based on one or two scenes.

At least it's a good review for the show and I'm perched to see more reviews come in. 

Yeah that's exactly what I meant. She didn't appear that much in the first episode as well.

Oh hello. What is this space down here? Where am I?

davidmonster

[Review] “American Horror Story: Hotel” Delivers ExtremeSex, Drugs and Violence!

After a disappointing fourth season, “American Horror Story” returns to FX with “Hotel,” which spends most of the debut episode building and introducing characters.

The always spectacular Kathy Bates plays Iris, the front desk clerk and gatekeeper to the Cortez Hotel. She’s been working there for 20 years, and reminds me of R. M. Renfield in “Dracula” (being that she’s a human working for a hotel filled with vampires).

Speaking of vampires, it takes quite a bit of time before Lady Gaga is introduced. She’s “The Countess,” a seductive, eccentric and methodical vampire who owns the Cortez Hotel. Yet, even with the power of Gaga’s performance, Sarah Paulson, who plays Sally, a junkie and friend of The Countess, has the most provocative character of them all.

And while the first episode doesn’t introduce James March (Evan Peters) – who built labyrinth of a hotel in 1930 – we get a taste of the secret rooms when kids appear and vanish, with one containing a kiddie party haven used to seduce even children.

The most exciting thing about each season’s debut episode is the visual introduction to the characters and locations. While “Freak Show” may have been the most vibrant and colorful of them all, “Hotel” features stunning costume designs and set pieces that are nothing short of spectacular.

But, what I found most intriguing about “Hotel” is that it appears FX and Ryan Murphy have taken their gloves off. Being that “Hotel” is the fifth season, I don’t think the filmmakers have any fear of losing committed viewers. Thus, they have taken everything to the edge of gluttony, which is ironically part of the underlying story-arc.

It appears many of the “Hotel” victims are sinners, as teased in the below opening title sequence. And with that comes junkies, criminals and the insane. “Hotel” gets graphic with the d--g use, takes s-x/rape to an entirely new level with a conical drillbit dildo, and even has a blood orgy that’s uncomfortably erotic. Everything about “Hotel” is about excess, and there’s no denying that everyone involved is ready to take it all the way (****, the season opens with Detective John Lowe (Wes Bentley) discovering a man, with his eyes gouged out and his tongue removed, glued insidea woman who has been impaled).

The one thing that I love about the “American Horror Story” franchise is that, much like a video game, it’s all about the ride. And while the end game may be inconsequential (I have’t liked any of the season finales), Ryan Murphy and company have set the stage for a monstrous fifth season that’s boasting its ability to be unapologetic from s-x to the d--gs and violence.

I’m staying another night…

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3364287/review-american-horror-story-hotel-delivers-extreme-s-x-d--gs-and-violence/

ViviLittleM

[Review] “American Horror Story: Hotel” Delivers ExtremeSex, Drugs and Violence!

After a disappointing fourth season, “American Horror Story” returns to FX with “Hotel,” which spends most of the debut episode building and introducing characters.

The always spectacular Kathy Bates plays Iris, the front desk clerk and gatekeeper to the Cortez Hotel. She’s been working there for 20 years, and reminds me of R. M. Renfield in “Dracula” (being that she’s a human working for a hotel filled with vampires).

Speaking of vampires, it takes quite a bit of time before Lady Gaga is introduced. She’s “The Countess,” a seductive, eccentric and methodical vampire who owns the Cortez Hotel. Yet, even with the power of Gaga’s performance, Sarah Paulson, who plays Sally, a junkie and friend of The Countess, has the most provocative character of them all.

And while the first episode doesn’t introduce James March (Evan Peters) – who built labyrinth of a hotel in 1930 – we get a taste of the secret rooms when kids appear and vanish, with one containing a kiddie party haven used to seduce even children.

The most exciting thing about each season’s debut episode is the visual introduction to the characters and locations. While “Freak Show” may have been the most vibrant and colorful of them all, “Hotel” features stunning costume designs and set pieces that are nothing short of spectacular.

But, what I found most intriguing about “Hotel” is that it appears FX and Ryan Murphy have taken their gloves off. Being that “Hotel” is the fifth season, I don’t think the filmmakers have any fear of losing committed viewers. Thus, they have taken everything to the edge of gluttony, which is ironically part of the underlying story-arc.

It appears many of the “Hotel” victims are sinners, as teased in the below opening title sequence. And with that comes junkies, criminals and the insane. “Hotel” gets graphic with the d--g use, takes s-x/rape to an entirely new level with a conical drillbit dildo, and even has a blood orgy that’s uncomfortably erotic. Everything about “Hotel” is about excess, and there’s no denying that everyone involved is ready to take it all the way (****, the season opens with Detective John Lowe (Wes Bentley) discovering a man, with his eyes gouged out and his tongue removed, glued insidea woman who has been impaled).

The one thing that I love about the “American Horror Story” franchise is that, much like a video game, it’s all about the ride. And while the end game may be inconsequential (I have’t liked any of the season finales), Ryan Murphy and company have set the stage for a monstrous fifth season that’s boasting its ability to be unapologetic from s-x to the d--gs and violence.

I’m staying another night…

http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3364287/review-american-horror-story-hotel-delivers-extreme-s-x-d--gs-and-violence/

i don't know if this count or nah for MC

davidmonster

i don't know if this count or nah for MC

I hope it count, that reviewer gave a 80 to this episode  :whitney:

DrewStevens

I just noticed something about the first review:

Several members of past “AHS” ensembles don’t appear until later episodes, including Angela Bassett as Ramona Royale, Finn Wittrock as Tristan Duffy, Lily Rabe as Aileen Wuornos, and Evan Peters as Mr. March. The most notable absentee from the first four seasons is Jessica Lange, who opted against a fifth year. Other cast members scheduled for future episodes include Darren Criss, Max Greenfield, Naomi Campbell and Madchen Amick.

Isn't Max Greenfield supposed to be the first victim of the Addiction Demon during the first episode?

monketsharona

Isn't Max Greenfield supposed to be the first victim of the Addiction Demon during the first episode?

Nothing confirmed. We just know he'll get involved in Sarah Paulson' storyline. And he'll have one of the most shocking scene in AHS, involving a mattress 

Gardevoir

Lol, but you guys just said that this review from metacritic which came on saturday was fake. So, what's good? Give me some receipts.

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Archived