💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

question

Is it time for a first female James Bond?

Pop

Featured Posts

Would you imagine a white guy playing the part of a character that was written as a black character? The uproar that would cause.

That's actually called whitewashing and it's something Hollywood does on the regular. 

For example: The main characters of Hunger Games aren't white in the books. 

The Taylor Brigade: KNOCKOUT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan

That's actually called whitewashing and it's something Hollywood does on the regular. 

For example: The main characters of Hunger Games aren't white in the books. 

I'm working in the film industry, so I know it exists, unfortunately.

I'm working in the film industry, so I know it exists, unfortunately.

Then why are you pretending like it would cause an uproar? Because nobody except a few people online gave a ****, and that's usually how it always is when whitewashing happens.

Now if a black James Bond or a female James Bond happened? Now that would be an uproar. It's the white cis people that can't accept change and diversity, not the other way around. 

elijahfan

Then why are you pretending like it would cause an uproar? Because nobody except a few people online gave a ****, and that's usually how it always is when whitewashing happens.

Now if a black James Bond or a female James Bond happened? Now that would be an uproar. It's the white cis people that can't accept change and diversity, not the other way around. 

The problem with whitewashing is that it's done very subtly, without people even realizing. It's rarely blatant. I do remember many articles online complaining about such instances, like Emma Stone's character in Aloha.

The thing with James Bond is that it's such an iconic, well-known and established character. Any change to the character, as major as race or s-x, would be just blatant. Well, that's the only reason why I wouldn't be happy with it.

Then again what do I know, I'm just an evil white privileged boy in a rich country so I must be very racist deep within.

Then again what do I know, I'm just an evil white privileged boy in a rich country so I must be very racist deep within.

Basically. :rip:

You're elevating the white characters on a pedestal over the POC characters and shrugging it off like it's nothing. 

I'm also white, but we should be aware of how ****ed up our society is about things like these. 

elijahfan

Basically. :rip:

You're elevating the white characters on a pedestal over the POC characters and shrugging it off like it's nothing. 

I'm also white, but we should be aware of how ****ed up our society is about things like these. 

You think having a black Bond just for the sake of having a black Bond is the greatest idea in this particular context? I'm all for creating new great roles for minorities in entertainment - that's why I'm loving Ryan Murphy, or shows like Sense8, so much. However, blatantly introducing racial matters into well-established franchises that have nothing to do with it is nothing but parody, and race shouldn't be instrumentalized that way.

You think having a black Bond just for the sake of having a black Bond is the greatest idea in this particular context? I'm all for creating new great roles for minorities in entertainment - that's why I'm loving Ryan Murphy, or shows like Sense8, so much. However, blatantly introducing racial matters into well-established franchises that have nothing to do with it is nothing but parody, and race shouldn't be instrumentalized that way.

It's not for the sake of having a black actor. But what if there is an actor that would be absolutely perfect for the role and he happens to be black?

And if you say that he can't be a perfect Bond because he's black (and checks every other category) - you're racist. Sorry. 

Dominic

It's not for the sake of having a black actor. But what if there is an actor that would be absolutely perfect for the role and he happens to be black?

And if you say that he can't be a perfect Bond because he's black (and checks every other category) - you're racist. Sorry. 

Let's not start calling people racist if they have a different view. That's the point of a forum to discuss and not to insult.  However, I completely agree with what you are saying otherwise. I think it should be down to who fits the role best; black or white.  The only thing I wouldn't like is if they just use a black person for hype, media attention and publicity.  Should be based on talent not colour. 

The hardest thing in this world is to live in it

LoveandMagic

I wouldn't mind something with a female lead in the same vein as James Bond, but the James Bond series is just that, a series of films/novels about British agent James Bond. 

I've always saw Lara Croft as sort of the female Alan Quartermain/Indiana Jones. 

Could you imagine the meltdowns though? Some people are already losing their **** over the all female leads in Ghostbusters. And Mad Max: Fury Road, despite being in the same vein as Road Warrior and Thunderdome (with Mad Max being a character to introduce the audience to different worlds/cultures/stories), had a recognizable female lead that did just that, lead, and many people acted like it was a sign of the Apocalypse.

Just repeat to yourself, "It's just a show. I should really just relax."

Let's not start calling people racist if they have a different view. That's the point of a forum to discuss and not to insult.  However, I completely agree with what you are saying otherwise. I think it should be down to who fits the role best; black or white.  The only thing I wouldn't like is if they just use a black person for hype, media attention and publicity.  Should be based on talent not colour. 

Calling someone racist is not a curse word. If somebody is behaving in a racist manner, we should have the right to call them out.

I know the person isn't a radical racist who wants to enslave the blacks, but there are different more subtle forms of racism that we need to discuss and call out when we see them. 

elijahfan

That's exactly what I'm afraid of, because Bond is such an established character / franchise. But don't worry, I expected people to twist my words and misunderstand whatever I'd say about it, but thanks for standing up for me :hug:

zexion_armando

We have plenty of female action leads who don't have to take away from another character.

Ripley, Alice, Kate Beckinsale in a skin tight suit, even Mad Max subverted the expected action trope.

RAMROD

This isn't even about that. :rip:

It's about pushing the boundaries of acting. Why couldn't a woman play a straight man who is a womanizer? Acting is an act of transformation and if the actress is up to the task, why not?

Throughout history (since old Greece) we've had actors playing characters outside their gender role. 

Of course it is, you, yourself replied to me about gender equality.

And I replied back to you accordingly.

Also,

As Meryl Streep had said it,

Acting is not about being someone different,

or as you may call it, transformation.

It's finding the similarity in what is apparently different,

then finding yourself in there.

And we have cross gender role already,

not just in films, but also in stage play.

However, it is not right to have a woman

playing a character that is known to be a man nor the otherwise.

It is not right to have a man starring

as Wonder Woman or Daenerys Targayen for example.

Besides, why would you want a woman playing as a womanizer man?

Just so people can say woman can do it too?

Is that what you recognise as gender equality in acting? :lmao:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ 𝚍𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒-𝚒-𝚒-𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝...! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Dorothy Gale

It just seems like people want to force women into men's roles instead of creating a different role for them. It's just lazy, gender switching a character just isn't as revolutionary as feminists believe. Since the 90s female heroines have been shoved down our throats, and in children's movies today, the female is usually always a "Buffy" type female, even though they don't have any reason to justify being a good fighter. Male characters on the other hand, seem to be shoved into the role of incompetent comic relief. 

No. You have to stay true to the character. If you want to start another spy film franchise that stars a woman then let her gain popularity without riding the coattails of a legendary figure....James Bond.....Shaken, not stirred...thank you. 

Mars..........or bust!

Archived